View Poll Results: Do you like it?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell Yeah

34 46.58%
  • Nah

39 53.42%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Scott Snyder's League: Yay or Nay?

Hi guys. Im back after years away from this forum.

I've been reading Snyder's JL and I found it absolutely awful. Im really tired of the "big secret that'll change everything you know about..." thing he always uses, overpowered villains with cardboard personalities and retcons.
    Plus, i made the mistake of re-reading Hickman's Avengers recently and it's absolutely amazing, which makes Snyder's JL look like a Scott Lobdell book.
    Thing is, I've read some good comments about it on facebook, so it got me wondering: Is it actually good? Is it a love it or hate it kinda book? Does it suck as much balls as i think?

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by poroto678; 10-21-2019 at 04:36 PM.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

I find his body of work not my cup of tea.

But yes, he uses the same tropes he used in his previous work.

Astonishing Member

This poll should have a third option. Snyder's JL is really hit or miss. He's more focused on forcing this storyline to be 'epic' instead of competent writing. The book is so close to being good, but a writer doesn't intentionally set out to write something epic. Basically, Snyder is trying too hard.

I’m still waiting for the first Snyder Justice League
    Deluxe to see if I like it or don’t
    And as for Hickman, I had to endure his Avenger run
    for Three years laters and ended up not caring when
    It finally crossed the finish line.
    I did enjoy his fantastic Four a lot and look
    Forward to reading the hard cover collection
    Of House Of X and Power Of X in December

Overall I like most of what Snyder and Hickman have done.
    ( but than I also like most of Bendis work)
    Last edited by My Two Cents; 10-21-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Spectacular Member

It's dark -- so dark that it's darkity-dark-dark. And it's metal. But not in the Pantera/Motorhead kinda way. More like in a guitar-solo-in-a-Taylor-Swift-song kinda way. Yeah.

Incredible Member

I agree that Snyder tries way too hard to be epic. When everything constantly builds up to something bigger I just become numb to it after awhile. I hated Hickmans Avengers and despise his X-men but I really liked his Fantastic Four. I really enjoyed Snyder on New 52 Batman and his Detective run but can’t stand his All Star Batman, Justice League, Batman Who Laughs, or almost anything else he’s on. Metal started out cool but quickly lost focus and just became a stupid with the ending.

Always Rakzo

Nay.

And this is weird because based on his work on Batman, I thought his cinematic style would fit the series pretty well. Unfortunately though, it seems like he brought all of his worst ticks to Justice League like his necessity to explain every single detail of what's happening in story to the point of ridicule, I don't even remember the narration in Batman being this overwrought, maybe because that kind of writing is more fitting there but here the overexposition is simply asphyxiating.

Far from the only problem even since Snyder's run feels surprisingly... hollow. He tries to inject big moment after big moment, bigger threat after bigger threat but none of that is particularly well-executed because Snyder seems to believe that creating more imposing antagonists automatically makes them more interesting without realizing that personality is much more important than power levels (and seriously, at some point his Justice League started to look like Dragon Ball Z because of that). The big moments are not that impressive either because Snyder drops them each one after another but without a good sense of presentation nor a moment to breath (Here's the JSA, cool, here's the JL One Million, okay, here's the Justice League Beyond, can you please take your time?).

That's the thing, at the end of the day, Scott Snyder failed to become Geoff Johns. The Justice League run from the latter was not perfect but it organically introduced more interesting scenes, characterization and antagonists with a way better craft, Johns is just way better for this kind of comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    I agree that Snyder tries way too hard to be epic. When everything constantly builds up to something bigger I just become numb to it after awhile. I hated Hickmans Avengers and despise his X-men but I really liked his Fantastic Four. I really enjoyed Snyder on New 52 Batman and his Detective run but can’t stand his All Star Batman, Justice League, Batman Who Laughs, or almost anything else he’s on. Metal started out cool but quickly lost focus and just became a stupid with the ending.
    Hey man! Could you elaborate why you hate his Avengers run? I'd really like to know.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Voted "hell yeah."

I'm getting what I want from the League here; big stupid crazy threats, deep cuts from across DC history, and the biggest name heroes doing the biggest damn things the writer can think up. This isn't the book where I expect complexity, nuance, or even subplots that're worth mentioning. I just expect a stupid fun ride and big ideas. Snyder's giving me that, and doing a better job of it than most writers.

It's not Morrison. Morrison did all this and he did it smart. Snyder's just loud and dumb and having a lot of fun. If Morrison was Metallica, then Snyder is Avenged Sevenfold. Which isn't bad. You just can't go in expecting a masterpiece like Justice For All.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Its better than most of the stuff for the League since Rebirth began (barring a few one-shots), but it is starting to take a toll.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by poroto678 View Post
    Hey man! Could you elaborate why you hate his Avengers run? I'd really like to know.
    It was a while back but I remember just being bored as hell with it. I can’t remember who the big guy with horns was but I found all of that so boring. I dropped it after the first or second arc.

BANNED

Oh, man, this comic is SO BAD! It's like one big long bad story that never ends and tries way too hard to be epic. So disappointing, because I went into it hoping it would be good, so it's not like I'm actually trying to be a curmudgeon. It just...isn't good at all. Fortunately for me, though, I was able to identify how bad it would be quite early on, so I jumped ship a long time ago. I just keep up with it in previews and quick glances here and there, and it still looks to be the same bad stuff I left behind.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 10-21-2019 at 08:24 PM.

Is it good as in terms of content and writing, no. BUT it’s fun and entertaining as hell! Which is why I read comics. Snyder’s JL reminds me of the recent film, Crawl. Is it a great movie? Heck no! But it’s very entertaining and a fun way to spend an hour and a half.

People mention Hickman and I definitely believe that he is an acquired taste. While I think he is a very talented writer with great ideas, nothing I’ve read of his I have particularly enjoyed or stuck with.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I stopped reading Snyder since Metal came in. I feel much better now.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I like more than I dislike. The things I dislike are:

- The Hawkgirl/Martian Manhunter romance. It just doesn't feel natural to me. It seems forced & out of place.

- Mera has cameos at best. She's a powerhouse and doesn't get shown to be such.

- Cheetah's portrayal is weak. See above.

- The art is all over the place. The most regular artist, Jorge Jiminez's art is too cartoony for my taste.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.