Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell Yeah

34 46.58%
  • Nah

39 53.42%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Scott Snyder's League: Yay or Nay?

Hi guys. Im back after years away from this forum.

I've been reading Snyder's JL and I found it absolutely awful. Im really tired of the "big secret that'll change everything you know about..." thing he always uses, overpowered villains with cardboard personalities and retcons.
    Plus, i made the mistake of re-reading Hickman's Avengers recently and it's absolutely amazing, which makes Snyder's JL look like a Scott Lobdell book.
    Thing is, I've read some good comments about it on facebook, so it got me wondering: Is it actually good? Is it a love it or hate it kinda book? Does it suck as much balls as i think?

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by poroto678; 10-21-2019 at 04:36 PM.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

I find his body of work not my cup of tea.

But yes, he uses the same tropes he used in his previous work.

Astonishing Member

This poll should have a third option. Snyder's JL is really hit or miss. He's more focused on forcing this storyline to be 'epic' instead of competent writing. The book is so close to being good, but a writer doesn't intentionally set out to write something epic. Basically, Snyder is trying too hard.

I’m still waiting for the first Snyder Justice League
    Deluxe to see if I like it or don’t
    And as for Hickman, I had to endure his Avenger run
    for Three years laters and ended up not caring when
    It finally crossed the finish line.
    I did enjoy his fantastic Four a lot and look
    Forward to reading the hard cover collection
    Of House Of X and Power Of X in December

Overall I like most of what Snyder and Hickman have done.
    ( but than I also like most of Bendis work)
    Last edited by My Two Cents; 10-21-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Spectacular Member

It's dark -- so dark that it's darkity-dark-dark. And it's metal. But not in the Pantera/Motorhead kinda way. More like in a guitar-solo-in-a-Taylor-Swift-song kinda way. Yeah.

Incredible Member

I agree that Snyder tries way too hard to be epic. When everything constantly builds up to something bigger I just become numb to it after awhile. I hated Hickmans Avengers and despise his X-men but I really liked his Fantastic Four. I really enjoyed Snyder on New 52 Batman and his Detective run but can’t stand his All Star Batman, Justice League, Batman Who Laughs, or almost anything else he’s on. Metal started out cool but quickly lost focus and just became a stupid with the ending.

Always Rakzo

Nay.

And this is weird because based on his work on Batman, I thought his cinematic style would fit the series pretty well. Unfortunately though, it seems like he brought all of his worst ticks to Justice League like his necessity to explain every single detail of what's happening in story to the point of ridicule, I don't even remember the narration in Batman being this overwrought, maybe because that kind of writing is more fitting there but here the overexposition is simply asphyxiating.

Far from the only problem even since Snyder's run feels surprisingly... hollow. He tries to inject big moment after big moment, bigger threat after bigger threat but none of that is particularly well-executed because Snyder seems to believe that creating more imposing antagonists automatically makes them more interesting without realizing that personality is much more important than power levels (and seriously, at some point his Justice League started to look like Dragon Ball Z because of that). The big moments are not that impressive either because Snyder drops them each one after another but without a good sense of presentation nor a moment to breath (Here's the JSA, cool, here's the JL One Million, okay, here's the Justice League Beyond, can you please take your time?).

That's the thing, at the end of the day, Scott Snyder failed to become Geoff Johns. The Justice League run from the latter was not perfect but it organically introduced more interesting scenes, characterization and antagonists with a way better craft, Johns is just way better for this kind of comics.

It is a big NO for me... boring, confusing and pretentious story. I can't even recognize them as the League anymore.

I like it! It’s not deep but it’s enjoyable. I don’t get the negative comparisons to DB, what more do you expect from the JL? People complain about Snyder having them face over the top threats but when Priest had the League tackle “real” issues and WW get taken out by a bullet, people complained about that. No one is ever satisfied.

It's a big dumb blockbuster, so yeah. I really don't ask much from my Justice League -- I'm not looking for high art, I'm just looking to be entertained. Which is why Hitch's run was so offensive -- it was so boring.

It's not something I'll ever feel the need to buy a deluxe oversized hardcover of for the shelf, but it's more than passable.

It was nothing groundbreaking but I liked it for what it was. JL is supposed to be the blockbuster book of DC and I thought Snyder delivered on that.