34 46.58%
  • Nah

39 53.42%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    In the Metal event.
    Thanks. I haven’t picked that up yet.

Is it me or the way this "mark of doom" appears in the sky in JL is not coherent with the rest of the DC titles ?

I mean in JL #34 when Pepetua unleashed her powers and the mark appears, the Trinity are all together with the rest of the team and the JSA.
    In Bat/Sup #3, Bat and Sup are prisoners of Infected Blue Beetle.
    In Detec Comics #1014 Batman is fighting Mr and Mrs Freeze.
    In Wonder Woman #81 she is fighting Cheetah alone.
    In Flash #81 he is fighting Black Flash
    In Aquaman #53 he is fighting Black Manta
    In JL #35 we can see Swamp Thing and Detective Chimp together but in JLD #16 Swamp Thing is nearly dead and reduced to a little pile of goop even before the mark appears in the Sky.
    Also in that same issue of JLD Wonder Woman is stuck in the collective unconscious while Circe has taken control of her body.

Astonishing Member

Nay for me sadly, American Vampire was one of my favorite independent type books, I was ok on his Batman arc, not the best not the worst but his JL never grabbed me, there were initial things beyond his control, like having to use John instead of Hal and the art on the book was never my cup of tea, but besides that it never caught or grabbed my attention, also his first big companywide crossover Metal left me more confused than exhilarated.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    there were initial things beyond his control, like having to use John instead of Hal
    I do not believe that was beyond his control. I think that is just what he wanted to do.

Mighty Member

I like it way better than Hitch’s run. But I noticed that Snyder doesn’t seem to do good with character development. He’s too focused on the big picture. Everything has to be GRAND and EPIC. But there’s room for the small things too. Snyder works best as an event writer, in MY opinion.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    I like it way better than Hitch’s run. But I noticed that Snyder doesn’t seem to do good with character development. He’s too focused on the big picture. Everything has to be GRAND and EPIC. But there’s room for the small things too. Snyder works best as an event writer, in MY opinion.
    Every run is better than Hitch's run IMO. I was along for the ride for most of this run but over the last 5 issues or so, it seems like Snyder just keeps introducing new characters and not doing anything with them, resulting in a pretty bland return of the JSA. First the JL adds every hero in the known universe. Then they go find the JSA and Kamandi. Then they add the Batman Beyond characters. Then they add Kingdom Come characters and so many others that even Nite-Owl shows up.

But what have they actually with any of those great characters? I was so excited to see them appear before I realized they were essentially just window dressing. I'm still reading it and I still enjoy it here and there but it's mostly lost its luster with me. The dialogue given to JSA members is so generic it could almost be spoken by anyone. Mera joined the core team about 12 issues ago and even she's been almost completely ignored. Disappointing.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I've loved this current arc. It's so over-the-top, it's the perfect level of nonsense.

Oh, I think we've had some small moments here and there. All the stuff with J'onn and Kendra, Jarro's character arc....hell, he even had a whole issue dedicated to him where nothing actually happened except we got to explore his character a bit. There's been a lot of work on J'onn.

This just isn't the book for character development among the big names. We're not gonna get deep character work for Clark and Barry and Diana, etc. They've got solo books for that. This book is for all of them to get together to punch big things. That's all it is. It's not an art film, it's anthem rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I've loved this current arc. It's so over-the-top, it's the perfect level of nonsense.
    Exactly this. It's not supposed to be anything other than big and loud and crazy. And it does all of that very well.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh, I think we've had some small moments here and there. All the stuff with J'onn and Kendra, Jarro's character arc....hell, he even had a whole issue dedicated to him where nothing actually happened except we got to explore his character a bit. There's been a lot of work on J'onn.

This just isn't the book for character development among the big names. We're not gonna get deep character work for Clark and Barry and Diana, etc. They've got solo books for that. This book is for all of them to get together to punch big things. That's all it is. It's not an art film, it's anthem rock.
    So you prefer style over substance and that's okay. What EYE look for in a superhero book is different from what YOU look for. Once again. That is also okay. Doesn't mean my thoughts and concerns are less valid. It doesn't matter whether they have their own books. You're writing any type of story, especially one that involves a TEAM. I expect some level of substance, rather than punching things.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Every run is better than Hitch's run IMO. I was along for the ride for most of this run but over the last 5 issues or so, it seems like Snyder just keeps introducing new characters and not doing anything with them, resulting in a pretty bland return of the JSA. First the JL adds every hero in the known universe. Then they go find the JSA and Kamandi. Then they add the Batman Beyond characters. Then they add Kingdom Come characters and so many others that even Nite-Owl shows up.

But what have they actually with any of those great characters? I was so excited to see them appear before I realized they were essentially just window dressing. I'm still reading it and I still enjoy it here and there but it's mostly lost its luster with me. The dialogue given to JSA members is so generic it could almost be spoken by anyone. Mera joined the core team about 12 issues ago and even she's been almost completely ignored. Disappointing.

Most of the characters who show up are just simply there. I say a good majority of them don't do anything significant. But hey, i guess that's okay. As long as you have heroes "punching things" It's anthem rock. I'm told.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It's at its best when it's a Fast and the Furious movie, more or less. When I open an issue and it comes with some 3D glasses, a coke and some popcorn I'm in for a fun ride. Sometimes it slows down and tries to convince me J'onn and Kendra are a thing and I immediately jump back to my phone until the seats start shaking again and I'm back in.

I don't actually watch FatF movies, but I'm generalizing here. I think Snyder is someone who really loves how insane Morrison gets at times, but doesn't really hit the depth of his work. Still it comes across like an earnest cover band that can do a good enough job that it's a good time. Now that it's winding down, not one of the great JLA runs, but I'll be honest, I will never be able to call it boring.

HOWEVER! Snyder brought back the JSA, so I'll take a rubbish subplot with less chemistry than an 1720s textbook. Worth it.
    Last edited by Robanker; 11-08-2019 at 11:44 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It's at its best when it's a Fast and the Furious movie, more or less. When I open an issue and it comes with some 3D glasses, a coke and some popcorn I'm in for a fun ride. Sometimes it slows down and tries to convince me J'onn and Kendra are a thing and I immediately jump back to my phone until the seats start shaking again and I'm back in.

I don't actually watch FatF movies, but I'm generalizing here. I think Snyder is someone who really loves how insane Morrison gets at times, but doesn't really hit the depth of his work. Still it comes across like an earnest cover band that can do a good enough job that it's a good time. Now that it's winding down, not one of the great JLA runs, but I'll be honest, I will never be able to call it boring.

HOWEVER! Snyder brought back the JSA, so I'll take a rubbish subplot with less chemistry than an 1720s textbook. Worth it.
    100%

Synder's run feels a lot like one of Grant Morrison's big superhero events just minus the substance. Morrison is deliberate with everything he does, and it all has narrative weight even if it's silly- that's why it hits so well. You're enjoying the silly stuff when you get hit by the weight of what is actually happening. Morrison does some heavy squats and presses. Synder might be all chest and no legs BUT it is a really well sculpted chest. It's really aesthetically pleasing.

Do I need anything from a Justice League book, beyond big over the top nonsense? I dont think so, honestly.

I love Synder's JL because it is high octane thrills with a deep cut love for the DC Universe. The dude puts a lot of thought into being referential. I also love the DC Universe and all its bizarre arenas, so hey.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 11-09-2019 at 09:29 AM.

So you prefer style over substance and that's okay. What EYE look for in a superhero book is different from what YOU look for. Once again. That is also okay. Doesn't mean my thoughts and concerns are less valid. It doesn't matter whether they have their own books. You're writing any type of story, especially one that involves a TEAM. I expect some level of substance, rather than punching things.
    Well, I look for style over substance when it comes to the League. For other books, it's a different story and I demand something with more meat on its bones.

And yeah, it's totally fine if other people are looking for something different from their JLA. I'm not judging anyone as far as that sorta thing goes at all. I'm just saying, Snyder's League book isn't meant to be deep or meaningful, it's meant to be loud and wild. If it's not someone's cup of tea, that's cool, but it's not that Snyder is writing the book "wrong" its that he's doing a different kind of story.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.