Thread: Terry Long

Default Terry Long

What do you guys think? He was Donna's late husband. Should he come back or should Donna be set up with someone else

Astonishing Member

Terry Long was Wolfman's other self insert and he shouldn't return. I feel that Donna shouldn't be in a relationship until writers figure out how to stabilize her character.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I like to imagine Hippolyta suddenly became much more approving of Steve once she got a load of Terry in comparison...

All-New Member

I think it’s a pretty popular opinion that Terry Long was terrible in just about every way.

I think Terry gets vilified more than he deserves (such as people repeatedly saying he was dating his student when he when he was in this 30s, when Donna wasn't a student and he was in late 20s). Or that he hit on other women in front of Donna, which he didn't. I think he was depicted and supportive and caring during the pre-Crisis era. He went downhill post-COIE, as did the entire book, and then did a nose-drive when he tried to keep Donna from Robert in the 1990s via restraining order - I cannot say if this was plot-devicey and inconsistent with his immediately prior behavior, since I wasn't reading then. Definitely inconsistent with 1980s behavior, but there's just a gap there I haven't read. I just wonder if it was, since the storyline seemed designed to be a sort of soft reboot of Donna rather than being any sort of organic growth/plot, from the issues I read.

That said, I have no desire for Donna to be in a relationship with him again. The only reason I would bring the character back is if I could do it with at least some of the old backstory and he and Donna are divorced (and possibly sharing custody of a non-dead Robert).
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-23-2019 at 04:25 AM.

Lmao no! Dude was a Mary Sue in the literal sense of the term: A self insert for the writer whom everyone loves and thinks is great. He should stay gone.

Incredible Member

I thought it was Perez's idea to make Terry look like Marv Wolfman - a kind of brotherly prank/joke - and that he drew Terry that way without telling Marv. Also, it didn't really creep me out that Donna was dating someone older because she was raised in (what was at the time) the oh-very-serious Amazonian culture and was often, like Dick, a more mature, level-headed member of the team. It made sense that she might be attracted to someone older.

That said, I still wouldn't actively advocate for the return of the character. He was never especially interesting, although I missed some of the Team Titans issues, so maybe he was more interesting there?

Personally, I thought Donna & Kyle were a better match.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lmao no! Dude was a Mary Sue in the literal sense of the term: A self insert for the writer whom everyone loves and thinks is great. He should stay gone.
    a mary sue who didnt even want do his work