Thread: Thor's hammer

Mighty Member

Default Thor's hammer

On the inscription it says something, and I'm paraphrasing here that he who is worthy will be able to lift the hammer. I feel like with writers choosing to have ANYONE Captain America, Hulk, Jane Foster lift the hammer really cheapens Odin's worthiness of being the one to lift the hammer. It was a bad choice and I don't know why they chose to go down that road. We wouldn't be having a JaneThor vs. Odinson war at the moment.

Bad choice? Sales figures say otherwise, Jane Thor was very popular, to the point that the fourth Thor movie Thor: Love and Thunder is going to have two Thors - Odinson keeps his powers (which no longer rely on a hammer since Mjolnir was destroyed) and Jane presumably will be empowered by a new weapon. There's speculation that it'll otherwise be faithful to the comics (i.e. she becomes worthy due to risking her life as she has cancer).

It's also why Jane became Valkyrie, to keep her around as a superhero.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    On the inscription it says something, and I'm paraphrasing here that he who is worthy will be able to lift the hammer. I feel like with writers choosing to have ANYONE Captain America, Hulk, Jane Foster lift the hammer really cheapens Odin's worthiness of being the one to lift the hammer. It was a bad choice and I don't know why they chose to go down that road. We wouldn't be having a JaneThor vs. Odinson war at the moment.
    I disagree. I think if anything it's a pretty ridiculous notion to have Thor Odinson as the only being ever to qualify as "worthy." I mean when you think about it, the term is rather ambiguous to begin with. Not even Odin was 100% certain how the spell would work, which explains why he was so surprised when he discovered that Beta Ray Bill had been deemed worthy to possess Mjolnir. Maybe the next time Odin will be more specific about how worthiness is defined.

Somebody be sure to let Walt Simonson know he made a mistake back when he introduced Beta Ray Bill in 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Somebody be sure to let Walt Simonson know he made a mistake back when he introduced Beta Ray Bill in 1983.
    Or THROG!!!!! in 1986....:

Mighty Member

Yeah ok, point made. I get that Marvel bases Thor somewhat on Norse mythology, but they are shall we say, fast and loose with the mythology.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Or THROG!!!!! in 1986....:
    The only Frog Thor used in 1986 was just the true Thor turned into a frog by Loki. Throg didn't become a separate character until Chris Eliopoulos, needing more Avengers-related animal characters for his Pet Avengers mini, made the Simonson-created character of Puddlegulp into Throg with a shitty retcon that Mjolnir's durability is so crappy that Thor's goat stepping on it broke a piece off and that piece magically became Frogjolnir and transformed Puddlegulp.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    The only Frog Thor used in 1986 was just the true Thor turned into a frog by Loki. Throg didn't become a separate character until Chris Eliopoulos, needing more Avengers-related animal characters for his Pet Avengers mini, made the Simonson-created character of Puddlegulp into Throg with a shitty retcon that Mjolnir's durability is so crappy that Thor's goat stepping on it broke a piece off and that piece magically became Frogjolnir and transformed Puddlegulp.
    How dare there be whimsy in the Marvel Universe.

^^^Haha!!!

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Whimsy is fine, the original Simonson story was great and was very whimsical. Pet Avengers was just **** and Throg is a nothing character created just to fill space in that team.