Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Default The Gaang (Avatar: The Last Airbender) vs The Ninja Turtles (Rise of the TMNT)

Showdown of teenage heroes!

The Gaang Team:

- Aang
    - Katara
    - Toph
    - Zuko

The Turtles:

- Leonardo
    - Raphael
    - Donatello
    - Michelangelo

Location: A combination fish market and ladder warehouse by the docks in an otherwise deserted New York.

Stipulations: The Gaang is taken from the end of Book 2, Avatar State is not allowed. The Turtles have their usual loadout of magical weapons, no Turtle Van allowed in play. No prep, banter encouraged.

Who wins?!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Showdown of teenage heroes!

The Gaang Team:

- Aang
    - Katara
    - Toph
    - Zuko

The Turtles:

- Leonardo
    - Raphael
    - Donatello
    - Michelangelo

Location: A combination fish market and ladder warehouse by the docks in an otherwise deserted New York.

Stipulations: The Gaang is taken from the end of Book 2, Avatar State is not allowed. The Turtles have their usual loadout of magical weapons, no Turtle Van allowed in play. No prep, banter encouraged.

Who wins?!
    The turtles should win this one, honestly.

The Gaang is nerfed a bit too much. At that point, none of them trusted Zuko, so the other three are keeping an eye on him. Toph didn't learn to Metal-bend until Book 3, so that location seems brutal for her. If the warehouse floor is made of concrete, she might be able to move it. Otherwise, she's out of luck and pretty useless. Katara water-bending is nice, but against Turtles? Aang might take any one turtle one-on-one. Too bad, it's a four-on-four fight.

The turtles can get close enough for hand-to-hand combat. It's pretty easy work from there. Change the location so that Toph can effectively earth-bend, and it's probably a stomp the other way. Toph makes that much of a difference.

Toph invented metal bending at the end of Book 2. That's how she escaped the iron box she was being kept in.

If it's not clear, my intention is that she does have metal bending, albeit still not to the great depth she would later refine it to.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

i'd say zuko is a bit stronger than he was in book one but not as strong as he would be in book three.

but i can't really say much about the match since i haven't seen a single ep of "rise".

Fantastic Member

Toph invented metal bending at the end of Book 2. That's how she escaped the iron box she was being kept in.

If it's not clear, my intention is that she does have metal bending, albeit still not to the great depth she would later refine it to.
    I see. It's there, but she can't use it as effectively as the ground, Aka, her intro episode. There goes the "Collapse the building while shielding the Gaang, and then pick off the survivors" strategy.

It's still hard to see how the Gaang can keep the Turtles away from hand-to-hand combat. Toph is very good, but I see the Turtles killing the lights in the warehouse and picking off everyone BUT Toph. Toph dies to the number game afterwards.

Another strategy is to let Katara goes wild with the water, while the turtles dodge like crazy. Then Donatello introduces the Gaang to the concept of electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    i'd say zuko is a bit stronger than he was in book one but not as strong as he would be in book three.

but i can't really say much about the match since i haven't seen a single ep of "rise".
    I would recommend watching it, it's really well animated and very funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Mac View Post
    I see. It's there, but she can't use it as effectively as the ground, Aka, her intro episode. There goes the "Collapse the building while shielding the Gaang, and then pick off the survivors" strategy.

It's still hard to see how the Gaang can keep the Turtles away from hand-to-hand combat. Toph is very good, but I see the Turtles killing the lights in the warehouse and picking off everyone BUT Toph. Toph dies to the number game afterwards.

Another strategy is to let Katara goes wild with the water, while the turtles dodge like crazy. Then Donatello introduces the Gaang to the concept of electricity.
    Their biggest issues are Leo and Raph. Raph for his big energy body stuff and Leo due to his speed and portals stuff.

Katara is mad dangerous though, my housemates and I have been rewatching AtLA and Katara is a ridiculously powerful bender. Even at the end of book two, heck even in the late stages of book one, she's capable of some seriously high level bending.

Also, to your strategy of Donny using electricity, Zuko knew how to redirect lightning by the end of Book 2 so that might not work cleanly.

Extraordinary Member

Aang is also absurdly powerful and fast. In season 1 he blew out a volcano without the Avatar state and created a tornado with enough force to redirect a large boulder which was thrown at him,

I feel like any one of the Gaang, except Sokka, could solo the entire TMNT much of the time. Their powers have huge AOE effects and are also quite versatile.

Fantastic Member

Their biggest issues are Leo and Raph. Raph for his big energy body stuff and Leo due to his speed and portals stuff.

Katara is mad dangerous though, my housemates and I have been rewatching AtLA and Katara is a ridiculously powerful bender. Even at the end of book two, heck even in the late stages of book one, she's capable of some seriously high level bending.

Also, to your strategy of Donny using electricity, Zuko knew how to redirect lightning by the end of Book 2 so that might not work cleanly.
    Aang is also absurdly powerful and fast. In season 1 he blew out a volcano without the Avatar state and created a tornado with enough force to redirect a large boulder which was thrown at him,

I feel like any one of the Gaang, except Sokka, could solo the entire TMNT much of the time. Their powers have huge AOE effects and are also quite versatile.
    The key answer to both of this is the setting. They start in a NYC warehouse/fish market.

If they start in the arena, normal setting, Gaang wins 10/10. Every time. Way too powerful.

But you are starting in a setting where the Turtles can disengage at the start of the battle and ambush them. You limited Toph ability to detect everything around her. Plus none of the Gaang are familiar with New York City. Home field advantage is huge for TMNT. Throwing a exposed electrical wire into water? Gaang wouldn't recognize the danger and are BBQed. Zuko can't redirect it if he doesn't realize that he IS in trouble.

The Gaang

God help you if you're fighting Book 3 Katara in the rain.

I'm assuming it isn't a full moon, or Katara might be able to solo this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    God help you if you're fighting Book 3 Katara in the rain.

I'm assuming it isn't a full moon, or Katara might be able to solo this.
    No, it's book 2 and not a full moon.

Also, book two Katara doesn't know bloodbending is so one of her best weapons is not in play here.

Mighty Member

I wouldn't say a lot of seriously high level bending except we aren't talking about combat, Katara's arguably best combat feat at the end of book 2 was having the upperhand against a jobbing Azula, but Azula was jobbing so much in that scene that we probably shouldn't even count that scene to be honest. So her best combat feats are in the palace invastion and in the Swamp, at least in my opinion.

Zuko indeed already learned the technique, the problem just may be that he never used it until the mid book 3 finale againt Ozai.

Just dropping this respect thread for the TMNT in here.

There are links to a thread for each of the brothers in there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    I wouldn't say a lot of seriously high level bending except we aren't talking about combat, Katara's arguably best combat feat at the end of book 2 was having the upperhand against a jobbing Azula, but Azula was jobbing so much in that scene that we probably shouldn't even count that scene to be honest. So her best combat feats are in the palace invastion and in the Swamp, at least in my opinion.

Zuko indeed already learned the technique, the problem just may be that he never used it until the mid book 3 finale againt Ozai.
    It's not jobbing when it's consistent. Katara's snuffed Azula's flame pretty much every time they fought.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    It's not jobbing when it's consistent. Katara's snuffed Azula's flame pretty much every time they fought.
    No, not even in the same scenario with a lot more water:

And even Zuko managed to deal with these water arms no problem:

And stalemated Katara then:

And that whole scene was anyways extremely inconsistent with everything we saw from Azula before and afterwards throughout the series, i don't like it but it was jobbing and a lot of it.
    Last edited by Rightoya; 10-24-2019 at 04:38 AM.

Katara has generally been portrayed as an incredibly talented waterbender, able to make the greatest waterbender in the world sweat even without any formal training in Book 1. It's no surprise she was able to take on Azula by the end of Book 2 when she had access to a healthy supply of water.

The scenes you show involve Katara's huge water wave being fended off by a large blast of fire on Azula's part, the fire being snuffed out but the water turning to steam. That's Azula's flame being snuffed out.

Water arms, by comparison, have been a water blender's way of having some supply of water at the ready, but it's generally more vulnerable than earth and air, which are everywhere in most fights, and fire which comes from the breath. The point is that Azula is only significantly superior to the Gaang in a straight fight till about halfway through Book 2.

Zuko is the least-powerful of the Gaang, and even he was able to go more or less toe to toe with Azula by Book 3.