Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Variety Piece: Does Kevin Feige’s Marvel Promotion Mean Ike Perlmutter’s Endgame

Article Link

Interesting tidbits/excerpts:

"None were more surprised by the move than the Marvel executives who learned of the change through trade-press reports that heralded it."

(They didn't tell Marvel about a major managerial shift. LOL.)

"Feige’s promotion to Marvel Entertainment chief creative officer gives the executive total creative power, including over the narratives of the comics..."

(This part has me completely worried, as, while I do enjoy the MCU, I have questioned some of the creative choices used, and would rather the comics remain a separate universe).

"Comic books create relatively little revenue for Marvel. But they represent an important point of contact with core fans and serve as creative R&D for TV and film. It’s standard in the contracts of writers working with Marvel that they be compensated should any character they create be used on screen."

(Nice to know that creators are compensated by contract. We've come a long way from Jack Kirby and Joe Simon having to fight for their right to be acknowledged as Cap's creators in the court of law... which actually made it to the Supreme Court in Joe Simon's case).

I definitely wouldn't bat an eye at Perlmutter getting ousted.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I'm glad creators will be getting their due but i fear this just spells out more of what comic fans have been dealing with in the last years: More and more focus on getting storylines and characters into the mcu and changing things to fit the mcu rather than a focus on the characters themselves.

I'm glad perlmutter has less and less control, can't wait till he is gone, but I don't think Feige is going to sit idly by, Marvel/Disney wants to milk the MCU cash cow for as long as they can. While I enjoy a good superhero movie, i really hope they dont put anymore mcu in the comics.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Extraordinary Member

Since Feige often borrows things from recent comics - the Tom King Vision series, Ms. Marvel, Sam becoming the new Captain America after Steve gets too old, the Black Order, etc. - I hope it will turn out that he understands the importance of letting the comics try new things. They're an inexpensive research & development factory and even though the comics creators get paid when their characters are used in movies, they're still probably a lot cheaper than hiring Hollywood screenwriters to create the new characters, plus if the comics do something first then it's been sort of market-tested, though in a very small market.

So hopefully instead of demanding that the comics change to fit the movies, as has been happening since the first X-Men movie came out, he'll be more hands-off. I said "hopefully," and anyway Feige is not going to have time to run the comics division in any kind of hands-on way.

I will throw a huge party if Ike finally gets the boot.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Feige will likely leave the books be since it's a farm for ideas to adapt later on.

That being said, Ike is likely gone by 2021-22. He has almost no power left sans the games and some books outside comics.

BANNED

Ike is fenced in at Marvel. He is there but not gone.

I think Marvel are worried that if Perlmutter is removed he’ll go postal like Dafoe’s Osborn, strap a board on a drone and glide around dropping pumpkin bombs while screaming “Out am I?”

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    Feige will likely leave the books be since it's a farm for ideas to adapt later on.

That being said, Ike is likely gone by 2021-22. He has almost no power left sans the games and some books outside comics.
    Does he really have power over games? It’s hard to imagine even before with Spider-Man PS4 and MUA3, and Feige is above him everywhere. Loeb is gone, hopefully Ike follows soon.

I think worries about Feige being in charge of the comics being a movie towards more movie synergy are misguided. That was already a popular tactic under Perlmutter, after all, and Feige has demonstrated more actual appreciation for comics than Perlmutter ever will.

Moreover, I think his being in charge of the comics is a sidenote for him; if he's still in charge of movies, and now in charge of TV, that'll take up the vast majority of his time.

Niffleheim

I don't really care about Feige's new title but confused by "Comic books create relatively little revenue for Marvel." Is this true?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I don't really care about Feige's new title but confused by "Comic books create relatively little revenue for Marvel." Is this true?
    Compared to movies and merchandise, yes. Doesn't mean that comics don't bring in substantial money in their own right but Marvel gets more money coming in from, say, Avengers bed sheets and so on. This is not unusual.

George Lucas made all his real money from his piece of the Star Wars toys rather than from the movies.

I’m less worried about it. I feel like Feige has made a lot of drastic changes within the MCU, but that he is a fan and his direction will make the stories fun. I feel like Perlmutter is more by the books in the black about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Compared to movies and merchandise, yes. Doesn't mean that comics don't bring in substantial money in their own right but Marvel gets more money coming in from, say, Avengers bed sheets and so on. This is not unusual.

George Lucas made all his real money from his piece of the Star Wars toys rather than from the movies.
    Absolutely correct. In fact, merchandise brings in roughly around 7x the amount that box office does for Disney. For example, here is what Disney made last year in merchandise licensing (by billions in USD):

And this is what they made in box office:

Unfortunately, and yes this sucks beyond the telling of it, comics don't even come a little bit close.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 10-22-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I definitely wouldn't bat an eye at Perlmutter getting ousted.
    I don't think there's a single person that would.