Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

... as long as Mr. Perlmutter is a legal shareholder, he can't just be ousted without financial compensation for his shares. I doubt that the top Disney bosses want to make those kind of waves. And there may very well be Perlmutter allies on the broader board of directors.

We'll see what happens.

sidebar: it would have been great if George Lucas included a clause in his LucasFilm sale that he would become a board member. Whatever the issues people have with Lucas, I doubt if they're that deep compared to Perlmutter.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I definitely wouldn't bat an eye at Perlmutter getting ousted.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    I will throw a huge party if Ike finally gets the boot.
    QFT!

I would be thrilled!

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    Feige will likely leave the books be since it's a farm for ideas to adapt later on.

That being said, Ike is likely gone by 2021-22. He has almost no power left sans the games and some books outside comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    ... as long as Mr. Perlmutter is a legal shareholder, he can't just be ousted without financial compensation for his shares. I doubt that the top Disney bosses want to make those kind of waves. And there may very well be Perlmutter allies on the broader board of directors.

We'll see what happens.
    Given the Veteran's Administration interference, he may be in jail or spending all his money for lawyers in the next couple of years, and too busy to interfere with Marvel.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I'm not unhappy to hear this news. It may not have been all his doing, cause I know he had restrictions imposed on him, but the TV side of Marvel has been less than impressive. Granted, I haven't seen the Netflix stuff.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Absolutely correct. In fact, merchandise brings in roughly around 7x the amount that box office does for Disney. For example, here is what Disney made last year in merchandise licensing (by billions in USD):

And this is what they made in box office:

Unfortunately, and yes this sucks beyond the telling of it, comics don't even come a little bit close.
    I don't even think it sucks. It's just reality.

More people see movies than read comics and more merchandise is bought and consumed by people than either comics or films. You can go anywhere and see people of all walks of life in a Marvel T-shirt of some kind.

Few of those people read comics on a regular basis, if they've ever read them at all and they may or may not see every Marvel movie, much less own them all on DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I don't even think it sucks. It's just reality.

More people see movies than read comics and more merchandise is bought and consumed by people than either comics or films. You can go anywhere and see people of all walks of life in a Marvel T-shirt of some kind.

Few of those people read comics on a regular basis, if they've ever read them at all and they may or may not see every Marvel movie, much less own them all on DVD.
    Well, yes, my brain totally gets that, but my heart feels that everybody who owns a t-shirt or buys a movie ticket should be reading comics. In a perfect world...

Loeb practically ruined Marvel Animation but he seemed to have had some success on the TV side, but I'm not surprised to see him go.

BANNED

Whatever the issues people have with Lucas, I doubt if they're that deep compared to Perlmutter.
    Remember that Rupert Murdoch is also a big shareholder at Disney/Marvel after the purchase and he does have some pull there too...

Perlmutter's nothing to compared to Rupert Murdoch.

sidebar: it would have been great if George Lucas included a clause in his LucasFilm sale that he would become a board member. Whatever the issues people have with Lucas, I doubt if they're that deep compared to Perlmutter.
    I bet Lucas could have done that, but I doubt he would have wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I'm not unhappy to hear this news. It may not have been all his doing, cause I know he had restrictions imposed on him, but the TV side of Marvel has been less than impressive. Granted, I haven't seen the Netflix stuff.
    If you ask me, the Netflix shows are a little overrated. Except maybe the first season of Jessica Jones. The first seasons of Luke Cage, Punisher and Daredevil are also good, but I don't think they're as good as they get hyped up as. The second season of Daredevil was not good – if they had cut out all the Elektra/Hand stuff, maybe it would have been, the Punisher stuff was pretty good. Defenders wasn't good. LC and JJ's second seasons weren't bad, but weren't as good as the first either.

Congratulations Rich Rider fans, If Nova comes to the MCU it won't be Sam Alexander, because that is a Loeb creation.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Does he really have power over games? It’s hard to imagine even before with Spider-Man PS4 and MUA3, and Feige is above him everywhere. Loeb is gone, hopefully Ike follows soon.
    Perlmutter isn't going anywhere, Joe Quesada is the next domino to fall.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Congratulations Rich Rider fans, If Nova comes to the MCU it won't be Sam Alexander, because that is a Loeb creation.
    That's... not how it works. If Feige wants to use Sam in the MCU at some point, he can and he will. The fact that Loeb is not around is irrelevant, 'cause the character still belongs to Marvel and not to him. When Bendis left Marvel, they didn't shelve Ironheart because nobody else could write her, they simply gave her to other writers. I mean, Loeb himself hadn't written new Sam stories for years now. A lot of other writers contributed to his mythology within the MU, and I'm sure Marvel can keep hiring new people to write him in any other media out there.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 10-23-2019 at 01:14 AM.

Honestly, they should use both. Have Rich as the veteran, recruited to the Nova Corps a few years ago. That way they can skip right to the DnA era with him. Sam would be the new recruit.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Fiege has proven himself to be a fan. I can't see him doing anything that hurts the comics. Plus, there's some indication that he's aware of what Hickman is doing on the X-Men and may want to use thay for the movies.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Unless someone buys out Perlmutter's market $hares, he's probably staying. People like where he's taken Marvel these past few months. He's still te boogieman in comics though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I don't really care about Feige's new title but confused by "Comic books create relatively little revenue for Marvel." Is this true?
    The fact that we know who Feige is, and that he's now the head honcho should be enough explanation as to which sector makes the most money. The "outside world" knows Stan Lee and Kevin Feige as the masterminds of Marvel. Mostly because they didn't have Kirby cameos.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I bet Lucas could have done that, but I doubt he would have wanted to.

If you ask me, the Netflix shows are a little overrated. Except maybe the first season of Jessica Jones. The first seasons of Luke Cage, Punisher and Daredevil are also good, but I don't think they're as good as they get hyped up as. The second season of Daredevil was not good – if they had cut out all the Elektra/Hand stuff, maybe it would have been, the Punisher stuff was pretty good. Defenders wasn't good. LC and JJ's second seasons weren't bad, but weren't as good as the first either.
    I'd say the best Netflix stuff really was Jessica Jones season 1, and Daredevil season 1 and 3. The other stuff was either just fine or mediocre.

And there was Iron Fist, which was just a mess.