Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Default There are three Thanos!?

https://www.newsarama.com/22848-jim-...-thanoses.html

Woah! I thought Ewing was the one who came up with the multiple Thanos theory in his Ultimates stories.

A bit of context: Basically the last five-six years starting with Bendis's Avengers Assemble arc and Aaron's Thanos Rising Marvel's been streamlining Thanos to be more of a simplistic, thuggish space villain like Mongul or Despero or Annihilus, so as to synergize with his portrayal in the movies (which ended up being quite different, amusingly enough). the nuances and character development given to him by Starlin were thrown out of the window and his relationship with Death has been simplified.

And even though Starlin still tried to kind of-sort of acknowledge these changes in his OGN trilogy, some things still didn't fit, like how he could do the stuff in OGNs and be imprisoned on Earth after Infinity and deal with the Beyonders and God Emperor Doom straight after didn't quite fit timeline-wise, his portrayal of Death (silent hooded figure who doesn't like wanton violence) is also very different with Aaron's portrayal of her (the same one that is used in the last Thanos ongoing series).

So the local continuity fixer Al Ewing decided to explain the contradictions by introducing the idea of two Thanoses in his Ultimates run. Theres the Starlin Thanos who found love with Starlin's lady death in Infinity Finale. And the Thuggish Thanos, the Thanos the editors and the casual fans want, the Thanos as he was used in Avengers Assemble, Thanos Rising, Infinity, Civil War II and the second Thanos ongoing.

...That being said, pretty much all of this is nothing but my headcanon, because the way Ewing phrased the concept of Thanos' existence in different aspects allows for multiple interpretations.

I'm not sure if he literally means three different ones or just how the writing has changed so much the character really doesn't seem to be the same one, because the are the clone shenanigans.
    Regardless the breakdown is pretty clear into the different eras, and only the 1st is a beloved character that stood the test of time and ended up having influenced the version on the big screen, despite editors and Writers recent attempts at erasing his stories from continuity.

We need a Morrison's style story with meta commentary where Starlin Thanos meets Thuggish Thanos.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

The way he worded it, sounds like it's his "different eras", which are all part of the character somehow, though maybe he meant it literally and Ewing just rolled with it.

So if there are 3 Thanos for real, guess Thanosi are back in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    The way he worded it, sounds like it's his "different eras", which are all part of the character somehow, though maybe he meant it literally and Ewing just rolled with it.

So if there are 3 Thanos for real, guess Thanosi are back in a way.
    The Thanosi should make a comeback.

I'm not a fan of the Thuggish Thanos.

Btw this thing reminds me of the Three Jokers storyline from the New 52 that went nowhere.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

Which of the three used the Thanos-Copter?
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

BANNED

Lol no doubt a part of the previous batch of clones. Another got his ass kicked by Kazar.

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    Which of the three used the Thanos-Copter?
    I loved how the MCU End Game Thanos seemingly used the blades of the Thanos copter as his primary weapon when battling the big 3.

BANNED

Thanos should have been shown to ride the copter at least once as a meta reference.
    20191023121522.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I loved how the MCU End Game Thanos seemingly used the blades of the Thanos copter as his primary weapon when battling the big 3.
    They could have avoided putting that thing in the movie.

The Thanos Copter needs to be erased from people's memories. It is almost as bad as the Aquaman memes.

BANNED

Beats sitting on a chair in space.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

There are 4 Thanii, you're all forgetting the most important one.
    Baby Thanos

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

When did Ultimates say there was more than one Thanos? I don't remember that.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Didn't Infinity Abyss state something similar to this? Basically it attempted I think to "retcon" (or Doombot) some appearances that Starlin didn't approve of.

https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Thanosi
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    They could have avoided putting that thing in the movie.

The Thanos Copter needs to be erased from people's memories. It is almost as bad as the Aquaman memes.
    They could have avoided it, but little insider easter eggs like this for the hardcore fans are a big part of the fun of these marvel movies.

To 99.99% of the audience it's just a double bladed weapon, but to a small core portion of the audience it's a nod to the Thanos copter. That shows the legit geek cred the Russo brothers have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    When did Ultimates say there was more than one Thanos? I don't remember that.
    Ultimates #9

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Didn't Infinity Abyss state something similar to this? Basically it attempted I think to "retcon" (or Doombot) some appearances that Starlin didn't approve of.

https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Thanosi
    By the ending of Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos was no longer a nihilist villain obsessed with trying to convince Death to love him, as he learned that mass murders and mystical macguffins are futile and Adam Warlock told him he is his own worst enemy.

Those Ka-zar and Thor stories that got retconned in Infinity Abyss regressed Thanos back to a nihilistic planet destroyer obsessed with mystical macguffins, while also making him dumber and getting defeated in pretty stupid ways (being punched and kicked by a half naked human and being burned alive by a Silver Sable lookalike)
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 10-23-2019 at 12:24 PM.