Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default DC couple you would be okay permanently breaking up

Is there a new or classic DC coupling you would be okay with permanently breaking up?

Bat...Cat...
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

If they count as a couple...Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy. Both characters are too messed up for a relationship to really work in my opinion.

Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Icefan View Post
    Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon.
    I thought Dick was more with Starfire these days, or is that just outside media?

Mighty Member

Idk if break up is the right word given the off again on again depiction of the relationship, but never do Constantine x Zatanna again.

Superman and Wonder Woman. Superman should have Lois Lane and Wonder Woman should have Steve Trevor.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Bat...Cat...
    Yeah...I've always found them more fun as nemeses.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Clark and Lois. Marriage has been hurting them for almost 20 years now. Their dynamic is just so boring as it is, compared to how it used to be and what made it popular in the first place. The kid didn't help, if anything he made it worse. Problem is I don't think breaking them up in-story is a good idea. Divorce wouldn't work. Not because there's anything shameful about divorce, sometimes its necessary. But it is at the same time its nearly always a permanent "This is over". I don't want that either, because the motivation is putting the spark back. Really erasure of it ever happening is the only way to do it. It never should have been brought back.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-22-2019 at 01:30 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Clark and Lois. Marriage has been hurting them for well over a decade now. Their dynamic is just so boring as it is, compared to how it used to be and what made it popular in the first place. The kid didn't help, if anything he made it worse. Problem is I don't think breaking them up in-story is a good idea. Divorce wouldn't work. Not because there's anything shameful about divorce, sometimes its necessary. But it is at the same time nearly always a permanent "This is over". I don't want that either, because the motivation is putting the spark back. Really erasure of it ever happening is the only way to do it. Bringing it back was a bad idea.
    I'm sorry, but that's just a bad idea. At this point, Superman and Lois Lane as a married couple is iconic. There's a reason why DC had to bring back their marriage after already trying to erase it from existence. You just can't. Superman and Lois are so iconic as a couple that them breaking up or diminishing their importance to each other would severely damage the Superman franchise.

Iconic doesn't always mean good. Hell their classic dynamic is still more iconic than the marriage anyway. And no, DC didn't have to bring back the marriage. They needed it to bring in the kid, it wasn't something the lore needed back on its own merits. You can easily do it. Didn't mean they did right by Lois after the fact, but that's a separate issue. That was a case of some writers being incapable of knowing what to do with her without her being Mrs. Clark Kent. Which to me is actually another indictment of the marriage and the complacency its caused toward Lois in particular, as opposed to being evidence that its necessary. It wouldn't severely damage anything. As long as they're in each other's hemisphere, that's all that matters. That's all that's ever mattered. You don't need the marriage for the connection. That they need to be married for the lore to work is a fallacy that's consistently debunked in many other comics and other media today. Some outside stories use it, others don't. With the specific idea of marriage never being a contributing factor to any greater degree of success.

In any case right now its pretty much a moot point, as Superman's being put to the sidelines soon in modern tales anyway. Extremely likely Lois will join him there.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-22-2019 at 01:53 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I thought Dick was more with Starfire these days, or is that just outside media?
    It's outside media, mostly. The Nu52 changed Dick/Kory from a relationship to a fling.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Green Arrow and Black Canary. I feel like it holds her back a ton as a character. Her DCYou series was extra dope and should be followed upon.

Plus Green Arrow doesnt strike me as a committed type.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I'm sorry, but that's just a bad idea. At this point, Superman and Lois Lane as a married couple is iconic. There's a reason why DC had to bring back their marriage after already trying to erase it from existence. You just can't. Superman and Lois are so iconic as a couple that them breaking up or diminishing their importance to each other would severely damage the Superman franchise.
    I'd argue it wasn't that the marriage itself that is iconic, but the Superman x Lois relationship that is iconic. Many people weren't crazy about Supes x Wondie and wanted him to be back with Lois, but that didn't necesarily mean bringing the marriage back. They could have just gone back to how they were before the marriage.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I don't really have an issue with any of the iconic couples.

I echo SK in that Lois and Clark can be kind of boring when they are married, but I'm not sure splitting them up permanently does much for me either. She should always be the unspoken "endgame" for him even when they are not currently together.

King made Selina and Bruce pretty weird at this point despite my being all in at first, but I'm still a diehard Bat/Cat shipper. Just..have Dini or somebody else write their scenes.