Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
A few things:

1) One of the things that made the New 52 unpopular was the very dissolution of various relationships across the DCU, Lois and Clark being chief among them.

2) If by your own admission, having them together is what's important, then what is the point of them not beng married?? Like, that's something that neither you nor SK has really made a case for. No married couple has to be married to be happy together. However, that doesn't mean that they should NOT be married. Lois and Clark don't have to be married...but they are. And if they are together anyway, why not as a married couple? That's how they've existed for well over two decades at this point. And I think the idea that ther marriage is hurting either of them as characters is pretty laughable. So, again, what would be the point of dissolving the marriage??? To appeal to a small sliver of fans who don't like having Superman married or even with Lois at all??? Are there some people who don't like the marriage? Sure. But there also people who don't like Superman being weak to Kryptonite or his absurd power-levels or certain villains like Lex Luthor or Doomsday or who just don't like Superman at all. Should DC bend over backwards to appeal to those people too??

So, I guess the point is: Superman and Lois don't have to be married, but they are and have been for so long now that erasing it just seems like such an unnecessary regression (like much of the New 52 was).
1) Yes, the dissolution of the relationship, not necessarily that of the marriage.

2) Even with them being together, there's a difference between married and non-married couples. Married people live together, unmarried people don't have to but they can. Unmarried couples can take time away from each other without it being too serious, whereas for a married couple one would be expecting divorce right around the corner. Someone can try and tempt someone in an unmarried relationship without coming across as a total homewrecker. It's easier for an unmarried couple to keep secrets from each other. There's less pressure for an unmarried couple to take that next step and have children (I do not like giving Superman a kid). And on and on, the relationships are different even when the two are together, and there's a lot of interest in an unmarried Clark and Lois we don't get to see (how long did they really *actually* date officially before marriage?). And that's not even to mention that some writer's could more easily write around Lois if they suck at writing her character but otherwise are great Superman writers, while other writers can come in and still make great use of her and her dynamic with Clark.

My point is, there's a lot people can like about then not being married, for various reasons. They don't have to be unmarried, but they've been unmarried for so much of their history that making them married all the time just feels like an unnecessary step.