Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MrHashasheen View Post
    Or they could be setting up for Nightwing.
    It would be nice to have the whole Bat-family in at least one movie together with Batman before he passes the mantle.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

If the character of Batman is older it doesn't mean they can't do sequels with him since Ben Affleck is only 41- they've got 9 years before Ben is as old as his Bats

As long as they don't specify his age, then they can fudge how much he ages in the films. And maybe they're going with Batman being solo in his 30s like the Nolan movies but picking up Robin-turned-Nightwing and maybe others? Really Batman in the comics should be older than he appears as his sidekicks are adults now. Unless he was only Batboy when they were kids.

As long as they don't specify his age, then they can fudge how much he ages in the films. And maybe they're going with Batman being solo in his 30s like the Nolan movies but picking up Robin-turned-Nightwing and maybe others? Really Batman in the comics should be older than he appears as his sidekicks are adults now. Unless he was only Batboy when they were kids.
    Or they try to pull that "batman is only about eight years older than Nightwing" garbage that they've tried to use as an explanation before.

Fantastic Member

I like the idea of an older Batman. If he is in his 40s - let's say 41, the same age as Affleck - and we know that Superman is 32 (assuming this film takes place right after "Man of Steel") then the idea of a more experienced Batman taking on a less experienced Superman makes any confrontation between the characters a bit more plausible (especially given that, so far, this world doesn't have kryptonite). In the Dark Knight series of movies, the story aged Batman considerably. This story could be taking place a few years after the events depicted there (assuming some kind of continuity). After all, if/when Batman clashes with Superman, he is going to have to rely on his brains, not his physical strength.

I think it would be an interesting twist. The tendency to want to make Batman and Superman roughly the same age is understandable, but this could be an interesting take on the characters. It might even have a mentor/student vibe to it - the older, more experienced superhero showing the younger guy the ropes (though, given how different their powers are, this may not make much sense).

I hope this infatuation with B:YO and TDK Returns ends one day. Batman is so much more than those two books. The day some filmmaker or animator comes out and says 'this Batman is based on his B:TAS incarnation!' or 'this Batman is based on the O'Neil/Barr/Englehart version' would be music to my ears. Or hell, 'this Batman is based on the stories by Alan Brennert' which is just a pipe dream.

I mean seriously, we had a partial adaptation of TDKR in TNBA, a full length animated adaptation just a couple of years back, Rises borrowed from it and now this. As a Batman fan, I am more disappointed with the latest adaptations of the character but eh, don't let me dampen everyone else's enthusiasm. I know I am in the minority when it comes to this line of thought.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I know I am in the minority when it comes to this line of thought.
    Well, I'm taking a wait and see approach I would say it probably isn't my dream Batman.

'this Batman is based on his B:TAS incarnation!'
    When they said Batman was going to be at it longer than Superman in this series, it did make me think of the Timm-verse where Batman came first and Mrs Kent was afraid people would think Clark was like that weirdo in Gotham.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightsabretooth View Post
    It would be nice to have the whole Bat-family in at least one movie together with Batman before he passes the mantle.
    Now that would be awesome. We don't even need to see Dick Grayson as Robin. He can debut as Nightwing and there can be another Robin. They should look to Damian Wayne eventually donning the cowl. That's how far out they should project if they want this engine to roll on for some years.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alkaidswrath View Post
    You are absolutely correct that they have been saying from the start that Ben will be playing "an older Bruce Wayne". But just because he has gray doesn't mean he is going to be playing a 50+ geriatric Batman. I know plenty of people in their 30s who are pretty gray. Hard living takes its toll.
    Yeah... I've seen people in their 20's who are pretty gray. Gray doesn't automatically mean 50's!

The 50's rumor came from a film blog that just assumed that since he had gray hair he had to be in his 50s.

A lot of stuff DC is doing with their movies following Man of Steel is heavily influenced by the New 52, and in that continuity while Superman was the first public meta human, Batman was operating for years in Gotham as something of an urban legend. That sounds very similar to what the rumors of Batman V Superman are saying.

Extraordinary Member

Batman can't be 50!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lightsabretooth View Post
    I agree that I don't think he'll be 50, but I always have thought the idea of an "older Batman" was a bad idea as it kind of paints you into the corner for any future sequels or movies until another reboot.
    How many Affleck Batman movies do you reasonably expect they'll make? He's 41 right now and still looks good. If he does one every three years he's only 47 when the last one comes out. Unless he utterly lets himself go in that time he'll still be realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Batman can't be 50!
    Hey, watch The Dark Knight Returns. He was 55 in that.

Though I doubt that's his age here. I'm betting 45 or so myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    Now that would be awesome. We don't even need to see Dick Grayson as Robin. He can debut as Nightwing and there can be another Robin. They should look to Damian Wayne eventually donning the cowl. That's how far out they should project if they want this engine to roll on for some years.
    Yeah, my hope is since this is an older Batman, that has already been in operation for a number of years, that we've sort of passed his solo phase.

Though, with all the DKR influences, and the old rumor about Nightwing being involved, but the relationship between he and Bruce being strained, I'm thinking the movie might take place following Jason's death. I'll try to find a link, but there was a recent rumor about a "Robin memorial" being in the cave... and a recent casting call for a young red-headed woman, which could be Barbara Gordon... or it could be Carrie Kelley.