Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Default GI Joe #2 preview

    Second issue is due out tomorrow!






    This Week's Comics: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #100, The Amazing Mary Jane #3

  2. #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    749

    Default

    I thought the second issue was much better than the first. Still not thrilled with the neutering of characters like Roadblock but it’s at least some what interesting.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    I thought the second issue was much better than the first. Still not thrilled with the neutering of characters like Roadblock but it’s at least some what interesting.
    I don't feel like the civilians are neutered, really - someone who's without military training but is willing to possibly sacrifice their life against a superior force has a lot of guts. Their combat knowledge just has yet to catch up their potential, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they develop. But yeah, I thought the second issue was stronger than the first too. I think a lot of that is because Duke's murder last issue wasn't just a waste or a cynical "this isn't your Daddy's GI Joe!" shock moment - the ripples of it helped to give us a better view of the other characters, villains included. Also, I am so twitchy over what Mindbender has in store... dude is appropriately creepy.

    Another thing I'm liking is the controlled roll out of the bad guys. The Cobra roster was always the most colorful part of the franchise, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the likes of CC, the Baroness, Zartan, etc. get translated in this iteration.

    This Week's Comics: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #100, The Amazing Mary Jane #3

  4. #4

    Default

    I don't recognize these folks. Who are featured in this comic?

  5. #5
    Non-fanboy Member Cel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Level 42
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Really enjoying this new take on G.I. Joe. There's a ragtag feeling with this team with some members having a military background and others being civilians who joined because they couldn't just sit by and let Cobra's tyranny continue. They're learning not so much to be soldiers, but freedom fighters. It's interesting to see where things will go with General Hawk possibly signing a deal with the devil to keep the Joes in business.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

  6. #6

    Default

    what is the current continuity standard, if any, with the current Joe comics?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    Really enjoying this new take on G.I. Joe. There's a ragtag feeling with this team with some members having a military background and others being civilians who joined because they couldn't just sit by and let Cobra's tyranny continue. They're learning not so much to be soldiers, but freedom fighters. It's interesting to see where things will go with General Hawk possibly signing a deal with the devil to keep the Joes in business.
    With that scene, I wonder if Hawk's protecting the team by giving them plausible deniability, or himself because they'd consider the deal to a line that shouldn't be crossed, even in the current desperate circumstances. And it's really hard to tell, because we (and apparently, Hawk) know that Destro can't be trusted, but he may well have legit standing out in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    what is the current continuity standard, if any, with the current Joe comics?
    The new series is stand-alone continuity. Knowledge of the old cartoon, the movies, or the Hama comics is nice in that you can catch some of the Easter eggs, but it's not necessary.

    This Week's Comics: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #100, The Amazing Mary Jane #3

  8. #8

    Default

    Looks like the Baroness shows up in issue #3!

    Last edited by Anduinel; 11-24-2019 at 12:37 PM.

    This Week's Comics: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #100, The Amazing Mary Jane #3

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •