Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member

Default A History of Sex in DC Comics

I decided to look into this, because it's a bit of a fascination for me. Comic books are well known as a medium that has evolved from childish to adult. Even though the psychadelic 1960s weren't exactly a squeaky clean time in history, comics were, because they were made for children. Tracking when comics got more "adult" is a bit of a fascination of mine. Certainly Gwen Stacey's death in 1973 is consistently referenced as a watershed.

But there's the "risque" aspect of it. For instance, I know that from 1971-1975 Daredevil and Black Widow were both crime-fighting partners and in a relationship, and somewhere in that time frame they became the first comics couple to live together outside of wedlock. Whether you think that's a good or bad thing, it's certainly historic.

As far as DC, I'm pretty sure neither Superman or Wonder Woman were ever shown as having sex until Superman got married, and Wonder Woman continued to not be so portrayed. Then, when Greg Rucka was writing her series (during which she had also gone without a serious love interest for over a decade) he introduced the love interest Trevor Barnes, and raised this big stink about how he was going to be the first to show Wonder Woman as having sex, presumably just by showing the two naked in bed together. However, looking up all of this info in news archives, it's all about how he SAID he was going to do it. There's nothing about it actually happening, so it seems like it never really did.

Then, after the 2011 reboot, they showed Superman and Wonder Woman knocking boots with hats off.

On a side note, the adaptations have their own timeline. Superman II famously showed Superman and Lois Lane post-coitus, but other adaptations kept it clean, and Lois & Clark (which used steamy promotion material of the pair scantily clad together), actually stated that Clark was a virgin (though Lois wasn't) and had the pair actively wait until marriage for sex. On TV in the 90s? That's crazy! So yeah, Smallville didn't do that.

Other heroes, like Batman and Green Lantern, are well known as skirt chasers, but again, I'm wondering where this began, and when did comic writers/artists take that leap to actually showcase the act, or at least, heavily imply that the act had taken place?
    Last edited by Slimybug; 10-22-2019 at 02:24 PM.