Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Detective comics #1027 : what do YOU wanna see?

The 1000th appearance of batsy is coming up. What would you like to see in this?

Maybe something that pays tribute to characters from 'tec 1-26 (Slam Bradley etc.)

Another re-telling of Case of the chemical syndicate?

What artists and writers should they use? (Denny O'Neil, Alan Grant, Klaus Janson, Kelley Jones, Sam Keith etc.

YOUR ideas?

I'd rather have a one-shot focused on one creative team telling a solid story. These collections of forgettable 4-8 pagers isn't doing it for me too much.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I like the 1000s, but for Tec 1027, I would love to see something a bit more out if the box. Not the 1 page thingy Marvel 1000 did, but more celebration, with really good stories.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Man, lot of Batman anniversaries lately .

I'd like to see more creators that actually worked on Detective in the past unlike what they did for #1000. O'Neil, Grant, Snyder, Dixon, Englehart, Rucka, or Barr as writers. Adams, Nolan, or Williams III as artists.

What would really be nice would be the current Bat-timeline from parents death to Rebirth.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I'd like to see more creators that actually worked on Detective in the past unlike what they did for #1000. O'Neil, Grant, Snyder, Dixon, Englehart, Rucka, or Barr as writers. Adams, Nolan, or Williams III as artists.

What would really be nice would be the current Bat-timeline from parents death to Rebirth.
    It would be nice to see some of those people who didn't get stories in 1000 - Rucka, Englehart, Barr, Dixon particularly.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Astonishing Member

So I've long had this idea for a one-shot Batman story, and I feel an anniversary like this one would be the perfect place for it.

The story would start with Batman facing off against some villain, bruised and beaten, and he's actually in mortal danger and at risk of dying...when a seemingly random bystander steps in to save his life (maybe by taking a bullet for him or something) but is fatally wounded.

Batman rushes the injured and dying man, whom he finds vaguely familar to the hospital in the Batmobile, and along the way, the man (lets call him Bob) tells his story.

A long time ago, Bob was a small-time mugger and petty thief. One night, he and some fellow thugs decide to rob a bank for the first time...when they happen to run into that ruthless vigilante known as "the Bat-Man" who first showed up just a few weeks ago. Batman beats the crap out of Bob, and leaves him for the cops.

Bob spends a few years in jail, and when he gets out, he swears revenge on Batman and is determined to hunt him down. By this point, Gotham has changed and is overrun by supervillains committing thematic capers. Batman now has Robin by his side and has lightened up considerably - we're very much in the Silver Age/Batman '66 zone now. Bob becomes a henchman for the Riddler in hopes of getting a chance to take down Batman. The Riddler has Robin (Dick Grayson) in a deathtrap, but Bob is hesitant about hurting a kid and has a change of heart. The Riddler is about to kill him but Batman shows up, frees Robin, and manages to take down the Riddler. Later, Bob is expecting another beatdown from Batman, based on his last encounter, but the now much cheerier Batman simply hands him over to the cops, and recommends that he join the Wayne Foundation's program for convicts.

Bob goes to college while in prison thanks to a Wayne Foundation grant. He also begins a relationship with the social worker who visits him in prison. When he gets out, he gets an honest job, gets married and has a family.

The years pass and we see a number of major events in Gotham's history from the perspective of Bob and his family. Gotham becomes a darker place as his kids are growing up. Bob reads about Barbara Gordon being shot by the Joker and is horrified by what the city's coming to. At one point, he is heading home from work when he's almost mugged by a thug, but Bob is saved by the 'new' Robin (Jason Todd) who violently beats up the thug to within an inch of his life. Bob reflects on how the new Robin reflects the new darker and more violent Gotham. He's horrified when he sees his kids cheering for a violent armored Batman (Azrael) whom he knows deep down isn't the real Batman. During No Man's Land, his family is rescued from a gang of predators by members of the Bat-family. And he eventually gets a job at Wayne Enterprises R&D and has a chance to work on developing tech for Batman once Batman Inc goes live.

Flashing back to the present-day, Bob reflects on the fact that Batman ultimately changed his life for the better and shaped the city into a place where his children were able to have a better childhood than he did, and that the least he could do was give his life to save Batman. However, by the time they make it to the hospital, Bob succumbs to his injuries and passes away telling Batman "thank you".

Back at the cave, Bruce is brooding about Bob's death and his failure to save the man, but takes heart in the fact that he was able to reshape the destiny of a Gothamite for the better and that, if nothing else, Bob's life proves that his crusade has not been for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I'd rather have a one-shot focused on one creative team telling a solid story. These collections of forgettable 4-8 pagers isn't doing it for me too much.
    OMG yes so much THIS. I really don't enjoy the big bloated anniversary issues with 10 different stories, sometimes none that have to do with the ongoing continuity.

Everyone should take a look at Amazing Spider-Man #800 as the way to do a large anniversary issue. A giant one-story that was amazing, was part of the ongoing continuing story, and had a MAJOR plot line happen.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    OMG yes so much THIS. I really don't enjoy the big bloated anniversary issues with 10 different stories, sometimes none that have to do with the ongoing continuity.

Everyone should take a look at Amazing Spider-Man #800 as the way to do a large anniversary issue. A giant one-story that was amazing, was part of the ongoing continuing story, and had a MAJOR plot line happen.
    That only works if you are liking the ongoing story, though.

For me, personally, I liked 801 a lot more. But I don't know if you can justify an 80-page giant with just one story at this point. The Superman: Leviathan Rising special wasn't the best seller, even though I thought it was a really good story.