Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

This was always the issue with the mind-swap when Slott explained it. It was really vague in Dying Wish when it first happened, and when Otto deleted Ghost Peter didn't make it any better. Slott never clearly established the rules from the start, and the post he made when issue 30 came out kinda proved it.

What he said, was that Peter didn't die in Otto's body, and actually managed to get his mind inside his body.
    Except Otto was in control, so he could only watch.
    When Otto "deleted" Peter he really removed access to Peter's memories, making Peter have those memory gaps, ie 31 memories remained.
    When Peter saw the scene in 700, instead of rejecting those memories, he accepted them and regained access to all of them again.

It's one of those moments where the story became too plot heavy. If Dan Slott addressed it he would have given away the ending, yet it still wasn't clear what happened. You could easily make the argument that it was Peter the entire time who was brain washed by Doc Ock, who deleted Peter's personality, only to realize Peter's personality is what makes him the "Superior Spider-Man". Both logic work, because Peter never really died.

Quote Originally Posted by emac1790 View Post
    No where in the story I read said Peter's mind was cloned. IIRC (I don't have the book in front of me) the story said the brain patterns were overwritten. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yeah, it wasn't overwritten but overlapped. It's the same thing at the end of the day. I think in #9 he overrides the memories completely.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thinker4730 View Post
    Brain patterns are NOT the same as a consciousness.

One's personality isn't linked to brain patterns it's linked to the consciousness.

And it's quite clear that Doc Ock was Doc Ock in Peter's body and Peter was Peter in Doc Ock's body.
    Agreed!
    Brain patterns depict the electrical activity of the brain. The personality and generally all major mental functions are associated with the limbic system and partlially with the frontal lobe.

Brain patterns are NOT the same as a consciousness.

One's personality isn't linked to brain patterns it's linked to the consciousness.

And it's quite clear that Doc Ock was Doc Ock in Peter's body and Peter was Peter in Doc Ock's body.
    You're going against the very thing that was written in the book. You can't make the basis of your argument that it was written and then turn it around when someone points out to you what's written in the book. That's just picking and choosing what supports your argument while ignoring anything that goes against it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    You're going against the very thing that was written in the book. You can't make the basis of your argument that it was written and then turn it around when someone points out to you what's written in the book. That's just picking and choosing what supports your argument while ignoring anything that goes against it.
    Sorry. Replied to the wrong quote.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    This was always the issue with the mind-swap when Slott explained it. It was really vague in Dying Wish when it first happened, and when Otto deleted Ghost Peter didn't make it any better. Slott never clearly established the rules from the start, and the post he made when issue 30 came out kinda proved it.

What he said, was that Peter didn't die in Otto's body, and actually managed to get his mind inside his body.
    Except Otto was in control, so he could only watch.
    Well, then I find it funny that a mindless body of Doc Ock that no longer contained Peter's mind was able to talk just before he died. If peter actually managed to get his mind back into his own body then Doc Ock's body should've been dead the very second that such a thing was done since technically it would've been an empty shell with no mind in it at all.

When Otto "deleted" Peter he really removed access to Peter's memories, making Peter have those memory gaps, ie 31 memories remained.
    When Peter saw the scene in 700, instead of rejecting those memories, he accepted them and regained access to all of them again.

Doesn't explain how Ghost Peter had knowledge of what he did while in Doc Ock's body when there is clear evidence to prove that Peter didn't actually manage to get his mind back into his own body as my above statement points out clearly. There is only one of two ways for Ghost Peter to have that knowledge and that is either to be the real mind of Peter or to be a cloned mind of Peter's original mind...and going by the fact that Peter did die that only leaves Ghost Peter to be the cloned mind of Peter and not the original.

And for the argument of the brain pattern transfer instead of an actual mindswap I say this...If it was a brain pattern transfer and not an actual mindswap then Ghost Peter would have no knowledge of what he did in Doc Ock's body because he was never in it to begin with.

It's one of those moments where the story became too plot heavy. If Dan Slott addressed it he would have given away the ending, yet it still wasn't clear what happened. You could easily make the argument that it was Peter the entire time who was brain washed by Doc Ock, who deleted Peter's personality, only to realize Peter's personality is what makes him the "Superior Spider-Man". Both logic work, because Peter never really died.

Peter did die because if he actually succeeded in getting back into his own body then I again ask how was Peter in Doc Ock's body able to talk just before he died? If Peter actually succeeded then Doc Ock's body would've died the moment he succeeded because it would be a mindless shell, and last I knew mindless shell of bodies don't talk very well.
    Last edited by Thinker4730; 08-06-2014 at 10:32 PM.

i have to agree with thinker that this is obviously not the original peter parker but a computerized facsimile. or am i supposed to believe that the vision is really simon willaims simply because he has his brain patterns plugged into his cybernetic pathways? and the same for jocosta?

BANNED

No, what it reveals is the poor writing skills that Slott actually has.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i have to agree with thinker that this is obviously not the original peter parker but a computerized facsimile. or am i supposed to believe that the vision is really simon willaims simply because he has his brain patterns plugged into his cybernetic pathways? and the same for jocosta?

Thank you...I'm glad someone out there is actually thinking things out like I am instead of just accepting the lie that Slott is trying to pull over all of us.

Thank you...I'm glad someone out there is actually thinking things out like I am instead of just accepting the lie that Slott is trying to pull over all of us.
    You are agruing with the freaking writer, you can say its poor writing if you want but when the writer of the book says its the real peter guess what its the real Peter f**king Parker, you can say mindswap and peter was always there but at the end of the day no matter how much it pains me but to Peter Parker Spider-man Dan slott is the almighty what he says goes, you want to b***h do so at slott and not us. Thank you
    Truth is the best policy

Quote Originally Posted by VolcanikTiger86 View Post
    You are agruing with the freaking writer, you can say its poor writing if you want but when the writer of the book says its the real peter guess what its the real Peter f**king Parker, you can say mindswap and peter was always there but at the end of the day no matter how much it pains me but to Peter Parker Spider-man Dan slott is the almighty what he says goes, you want to b***h do so at slott and not us. Thank you
    Exactly. What the writer says for the story they wrote goes. You can argue against it all you like but at the end of the day it's a futile effort since it's a fan's word vs that of the one who made the story. This isn't one of those errors in continuity, it's the story the writer planneded out.
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 08-07-2014 at 03:12 AM.

no.

its our jobs as the readership to accept all of the rules of the canon and call writers out when they goof. dan slott doesn't get a free pass because he misinterpreted something and i will at least say something about it.

this is not peter parker but a copy of him. plain and simple. you could call him bob for all it mattered. peter is dead.

The original might be dead (haven't personally actually read all of SSM yet, so I'm not sure), which naturally leads to the question: what does that matter, if the current Peter is 100% identical?

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    no.

its our jobs as the readership to accept all of the rules of the canon and call writers out when they goof. dan slott doesn't get a free pass because he misinterpreted something and i will at least say something about it.

this is not peter parker but a copy of him. plain and simple. you could call him bob for all it mattered. peter is dead.
    Misinterpreted? Really? Do explain how it is the writer who misinterpreted their own work which they themself created and proved they can plot out a story in advance for 100 issues and proceed to call back to where clues were laid out leading to said story and not the reader who is merely the fan.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by VolcanikTiger86 View Post

Exactly. What the writer says for the story they wrote goes. You can argue against it all you like but at the end of the day it's a futile effort since it's a fan's word vs that of the one who made the story. This isn't one of those errors in continuity, it's the story the writer planneded out.

But, the writing itself reveals exactly what I'm saying. The results of the story reveals that Peter's mind is now a clone of the original and that makes the real Peter Parker to be dead.

It doesn't matter what Slott says outside of what was revealed in the story itself because as readers the story is what we base things on...not what the writer says it is outside of that.

If Slott is stating the opposite of what his story has revealed then that's just poor writing on his part and such a thing shouldn't be taken into account because it's his responsibility to reveal things in his story in a clear cut way to what he wants it to be not for how he doesn't want it to be which forces him to explain things later outside of what the story has already revealed.

And let me tell you something else...

We fans have more power than the writer does because we are the ones who buy or don't buy the books.

If you don't like what Slott has done then you should take a stand against him and Marvel for it and not just accept what he has done.
    Last edited by Thinker4730; 08-07-2014 at 11:12 AM.