Default ourists Flood The 'Joker Stairs,' Frustrating Bronx Residents

Tourists Flood The 'Joker Stairs,' Frustrating Bronx Residents

https://gothamist.com/arts-entertain...eid=8342ffb6b3

Thanks to Joaquin Phoenix’s dance moves in Joker, the stairs connecting Shakespeare and Anderson Avenues in the Highbridge neighborhood of the Bronx are the most famous set of steps in New York City right now. They have their own Instagram hashtag with over 700 tagged photos, and were also added to Google Maps as a “religious site” (the designation has since been removed).

All the attention has frustrated some residents of Highbridge.

“We hope it ends soon because we don’t need this,” said Jonathan Francis, a 29-year-old who has lived in the neighborhood his entire life. “We feel disrespected.”
    The comments seem to say both the tourists and the residents need to get over it.

Hey Mods!! Someone stole the "T" in Tourist in my title.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I don't live near highbridge but I can see how annoying that attention can be. Especially for the people that actually use the stairs to get where they need to be.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Eh, they need to get over it and I'm sure it'll pass soon enough.

Born & raised in Bronx. Amused to see it get the "Religious Site" designation. Hope it gets the Jim Morrison/Paris grave treatment.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Well, 43 years later and people still run up those damn stairs in Philadelphia...

Winter is coming and ice and nature/natural selection will sort this out.

Many tourists are a pain in the ass and have no conception that they're blocking an active thoroughfare. I deal with it every day - is it just that things are more cramped in NYC that they don't realize it? Eh, plenty of New Yorkers block the way too - people are just jerks. No need to get all Jokery over it though. If I'm able to suppress my sidewalk rage, they can suppress their "stair rage."