Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Are the Hicksmen encouraging segregation?

Like it says.

EDIT: Sorry, the title should say "Hicksmen", as in Johnathan Hickman's X-Men.

He's telling a story.
    He is the rock that their island nation is built upon. The people of Krakoa know him and what he has done for them over the years, and they look up to him. He might not be RULING Krakoa, but he is definitely leading it.

The best kind.

Astonishing Member

Don't know. I can't say what his personal state of mind is but i don't feel so. I personally don't get segregation from it. there are latino communities, black communities, gay communites etc. No one may be able to put baby in a corner (movie ref) but people can surely force minorities into one. But in reality segregation was something done by people because they thought they were better than others not because it was the only way they could survive. So i may just be seeing it differently.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

If we’re gonna use a loaded word like segregationists, then I’d say it’s something comparable to Garveyism or Zionism (ideologically, not in practice #FreePalestine).
    Last edited by Tycon; 10-22-2019 at 06:34 PM.

I don't want to say he is encouraging segregation, but his X-Men are more about "mutant nations" than the books have been before and that's saying something because Utopia was an edgy drag.

I'll just say that I hope the X-Men don't give up the idea of living wherever they want among humanity. For me, the endgame of X-Men is humanity at peace, X-gene or not. Not the X-Men as a secluded nation and limited in where they can live on earth, but not ruling over or breeding out flat scans either.

Luckily, it seems like Hickman has established that maybe humans and mutants should work together to stave off a true threat to ALL of mankind.

Even as they establish their home base for mutants, which they should be doing, The X-Men should also still keep The Dream as a goal.

The Inhumans are whack.

What some call segregation I call pragmatism.

Yes. Queers Only drinking fountains in the Krakoan fauna from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    I don't want to say he is encouraging segregation, but his X-Men are more about "mutant nations" than the books have been before and that's saying something because Utopia was an edgy drag.

I'll just say that I hope the X-Men don't give up the idea of living wherever they want among humanity. For me, the endgame of X-Men is humanity at peace, X-gene or not. Not the X-Men as a secluded nation and limited in where they can live on earth, but not ruling over or breeding out flat scans either.

Luckily, it seems like Hickman has established that maybe humans and mutants should work together to stave off a true threat to ALL of mankind.

Even as they establish their home base for mutants, which they should be doing, The X-Men should also still keep The Dream as a goal.

The Inhumans are whack.
    Agreed on all points.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

No. You can't say he's encouraging anything, since we know Krakoa will never work because humans always end up trying to terminate mutants. He's just presenting it as the path the X-Men took for now. He's clearly still not trying to make a point on whether that's right or not for now, just presenting the situation and how the X-Men feel about it. Whatever point he wants to make comes later.
    Hunting's no fun when your prey doesn't move.

I’m more interested in potential social class segregation within Krakoa. It seems the alpha and omega mutants hold all the power and are routinely brainwashing the population with propaganda hype rallies. What about the dude who has a lizard tongue? What role do the lowly gamma mutants have? Do they have to work? Why does the bourgeoisie Summers family get premium lunar real estate while possum-lad has to slum it in a treehouse? What systems are in place to protect the proletariat mutant from the privileged elite?!

EAT THE RICH!

They are practicing segregation, as in the concept of separating something, themselves, from something else, as in the rest of the world. This concept is not inherently bad, and they have valid reasons to do it. Even if it's not fair to all the people who wouldn't be a problem, recent history has taught them that they must do this, they must start with this, for their own safety. Suck it up. When bad things actually happen because villain A does a thing or the X-Men must do greasy thing B, then we can debate ethics. But this separation is completely reasonable, especially when they're still offering to cooperate and be part of the world for mutual benefit.

They are not practicing the historical policy of segregation, the types of policies heavily associated with the word segregation that make it loaded and negative. They do not have official policy separating groups that exist within their own state for the purpose of subjugation or establishing hierarchy. Class division or power division would be interesting.

It would certainly be nice if people of all kinds could come to and live in plant land, but it's been like a month, damn.

I feel that he is trying to show a minority group escaping persecution to form their own nation.

To me it's an allegory for the Exodus in the Bible. The oppressed and enslaved people escaping from their oppression to found their own promised homeland to forge their own path in the world.

They aren't isolating themselves from the world stage, they are signing peace treaties with nations all over the planet, they are offering to trade vital medicines to the people of the world. In exchange they want governments to sign peace treaties with them and to offer a temporary amnesty so that mutants can come to Krakoa to become citizens if they so choose.

Segregation is when your oppressor forces you to live under certain conditions. For example segregation is the United States passing the Mutant Registration Act where all mutants are required to register with the government and be monitored by the government. You have to carry something on you that identifies you as a mutant, however, there are no protections for you if people find out you are a mutant. So you apply for a job, the employer can search the registry, find out you are a mutant, and then not hire you because you are a mutant. You apply for an apartment, you cannot be approved because you are a mutant. You live as a second class citizen in the United States, and you are encouraged to live in your school or in a ghetto that the US government says is ok for you to live in. Segregation is a form of oppression and the governments of the Marvel Universe have used this form of oppression on mutants for years.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar

Apparently people need to watch Black Wall Street/Tulsa Massacre done in the opening of Watchmen show to understand why the X-men are "segregated" . The X-men in-universe has had several of those incidents Genosha, Mutant town, etc. Mutants can be attacked in broad daylight in America in Central Park in their home by Purifiers but people think it is a problem that aren't trying to hard integrate with humans right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post

EAT THE RICH!
    I prefer to Eat the Rude.