Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retired

Default Now it can be told: the first appearance of Brainiac!

Every school child knows that the first appearance of Brainiac in the Superman comic books was in “The Super-Duel in Space,” ACTION COMICS 242 (July 1958), right? It’s in all the history books. It’s one of those vital stats that we’ve learned at our mother’s knee. It’s the subject of many a bedtime story. But what if I was to tell you that what we’ve believed for more than sixty years is wrong?

Shocked? Doubtful? Well, I’m here to tell you that what we always assumed to be true is not in fact the case. I stumbled upon this shattering realization only the other day when I was re-reading the 80 Page Giant SUPERMAN’S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN No. 113 [G-50] (August-September 1968) which reprints a story from earlier in the title’s run, in issue 28 (April 1958), “The Boy Who Killed Superman.” A Giant I first read off the comic rack in the summer of 1967--and yet back then I totally missed the first appearance of Brainiac (I hang my head in shame).

The adventure in question has Jimmy whisked to the 60th century, where he soon discovers that he’s wanted for the murder of Superman. An ancient newspaper clipping says as much. And so the cub reporter becomes a fugitive from justice. When he is finally apprehended by the authorities, it is an artificially intelligent robot that delivers the incriminating evidence against young Olsen. And what is the name of that A.I., boys and girls? Say it with me, “Brainiac!”

Yes, right there it is, quite clearly--from the very same writer, Otto Binder, who wrote the story we all know where Brainiac first duelled Superman. And granted this is a Brainiac in the far distant future, so we must realize that the Brainiac that abducted Kandor was a distant forefather.

This is also intriguing, as I’ve always assumed that the green-skinned Brainiac was created to be a biological lifeform and he was only later re-imagined as an artificial intelligence--to tie him in with the computer called Brainiac. [As has been discussed before.] But this proves that the thought of a computer Brainiac was already in the minds of the creators (Binder and Weisinger).

One can also extrapolate a subtext for this story, given that on face value it has a few plot holes. Such as the fact that Jimmy’s murder of Superman is given such credence 40 centuries after the fact--and that no contrary evidence has survived. Could this be some maliciousness on the part of the 60th century Brainiac--some glitch in its programming? And then there’s the fact that Superman’s cape is still irradiated with green K in the 60th century--yet why would they have such evidence if no such crime was committed? Yet given they have such a cape, was this evidence manufactured by Brainiac?

Since only a few months separate the publication of these two stories, I think it’s safe to say that the “Brainiac” name was at top of mind and rather than simply wasting it on a 60th century robot cop that would likely never be seen again, they decided to recycle it for the much more relevant adversary in ACTION 242.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 10-22-2019 at 09:43 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Brainiac was an even bigger jerk back then, geeze.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

I'm too lazy to look for some details, but Brainiac's first appearance should be under the alias Romago, with a beard and an exposed brain, in the daily strips.
    If someone would like to find some images...
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

I don't recall that character featured in a Sunday off the top of my head. That character would have to appear in Atomic Age Vol 3 unless we're joking about the Brainiac connection.

Currently with the IDW Dailies we have a gap starting at the first few days of Sept (3rd?) 1949 to the first few days of April (6th?) 1959 so it would have to be in there I think.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I don't recall that character featured in a Sunday off the top of my head. That character would have to appear in Atomic Age Vol 3 unless we're joking about the Brainiac connection.

Currently with the IDW Dailies we have a gap starting at the first few days of Sept (3rd?) 1949 to the first few days of April (6th?) 1959 so it would have to be in there I think.
    Waid mentions him here
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/04...announcements/
    Romago makes an appearance in Kurt Busiek's Action Comics 850. As far as I know, there aren't other references to him in modern comic books.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Retired

It should be noted that the development of the computers ENIAC, BINAC, UNIVAC in the 1940s is what likely put it in the brains of the Superman staff, as well as Edmond Berkeley for his Brainiac home computer-toy, to use the -ac suffix for their creations (both introduced in 1958)--and too, Berkeley's Geniac toy that predated Brainiac (introduced in 1955).

To me this seems obvious, but then I realize kids today wouldn't instantly know about these super-computers from the past.

Nowadays,"brainiac" has become a colloquial expression and one might assume that's where the trademark name came from. I wasn't a fully conscious human being in the 1950s, so I don't know, but I think it's likely the computer-toy and comic book character came first and then the expression became commonplace after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Waid mentions him here
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/04...announcements/
    Romago makes an appearance in Kurt Busiek's Action Comics 850. As far as I know, there aren't other references to him in modern comic books.
    Yeah. Dailies 1956-1959 should literally be the last of the Superman collections. A lot of that stuff dealt with adaptations of comics but there was also a chicken or egg situation with the strips, where an idea could have originated in the comic offices and seen print in newspaper first or vice versa. I wish they had a little more to say. It has to be on display somewhere but I have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It should be noted that the development of the computers ENIAC, BINAC, UNIVAC in the 1940s is what likely put it in the brains of the Superman staff, as well as Edmond Berkeley for his Brainiac home computer-toy, to use the -ac suffix for their creations (both introduced in 1958)--and too, Berkeley's Geniac toy that predated Brainiac (introduced in 1955).

To me this seems obvious, but then I realize kids today wouldn't instantly know about these super-computers from the past.

Nowadays,"brainiac" has become a colloquial expression and one might assume that's where the trademark name came from. I wasn't a fully conscious human being in the 1950s, so I don't know, but I think it's likely the computer-toy and comic book character came first and then the expression became commonplace after that.
    All true. While people in the 1940's and '50's were not really aware of computers that were in existence, there was a fear that machines would one day "take over" every aspect of life. And again on the other hand, most households looked forward to getting new appliances that made life easier.

Well it was also a time when computers were seen as cool gadgets. Fallout's aesthetic is a modernized take on what people in the 40s and 50s saw as futuristic. We had robots like Brainiac which were basically a computer with arms and legs. now we have Terminators and androids as robots in fiction more than that style. But now we've gotten to a point where RW robotics has gotten to the point that it's less fiction and more science, which also leads to simpler robots because there's an actual idea as to what's realistic.... and realistic is scarier because it's closer to something that could actually happen.

I agree with Jim that certain toys and machines as well as Brainiac DC character appeared first, and then later, like a decade or two, the term "Brainiac" was used for a smart-nerdish person. The computers and ideas had to be introduced first, before the name could be used by the populace.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I agree with Jim that certain toys and machines as well as Brainiac DC character appeared first, and then later, like a decade or two, the term "Brainiac" was used for a smart-nerdish person. The computers and ideas had to be introduced first, before the name could be used by the populace.
    My understanding was that the implication was that calling someone a "brainiac" meant they could think as fast as a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    My understanding was that the implication was that calling someone a "brainiac" meant they could think as fast as a computer.
    Not from all of the times I have heard it used in the RW public. It had nothing to do with speed of calculation.

But even if it did, my previous point still stands regarding the other descriptors coming out first, before it could be used by the general populace.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 10-27-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Not from all of the times I have heard it used in the RW public. It had nothing to do with speed of calculation.

But even if it did, my previous point still stands regarding the other descriptors coming out first, before it could be used by the general populace.
    Well in modern times, but way back then? I'm not 100% sure...

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well in modern times, but way back then? I'm not 100% sure...
    Back then "they", the general population, on whole, were not aware of the exact mechanizations that existed at that moment. They did not find out for many years or even a decade or two. And even when "they" heard about something, it was not everyone e, but those who might be using an offshoot of that technology.

I am not trying to convince you...........just stating my point of view.

Astonishing Member

It's more complicated than that.

The suffix -AC to designate computers predates the creation of Brainiac. The ENIAC was created in 1945 and the UNIVAC was created in 1951
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENIAC
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNIVAC_I

Brainiac was created in 1958. In his first appearance he was not a living computer (he became a computer later, because of the Brainiac Computer Kit lawsuit).
    It is possible that his name was simply a portmanteau of "Brain" and "Maniac", with some vague reference to early computers. That's the way the term is used in this 1962 horror film.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brainiac