Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Have you cried with some Superman stories?

Have you ever cried with sadness or joy with a Superman story or movie or show, etc? If yes, which one?

Please no replies saying you cried because it was so bad..

OK, so I've felt quite sad and moved a few times. For instance, when Superman is dying in Death of Superman movie. It's a pretty powerful moment for me, even though I know what's going to happen.

I also have to admit I was very sad after watching BvS for the first time because I had no idea Superman was going to die.. Yes I didn't read spoilers.

But the one that actually moves me to tears is.. in Superman the Movie when Jor-El and Lara are saying goodbye to baby Kal-El. It's so sad and tragic in a way and the music is so perfect to highlight it.

Another very sad moment is in For the Man Who Has Everything, when Clark has to weak up from his dream..

I also felt quite ecstatic with joy with the First Flight scene in Man of Steel. It's so inspirational and just magnificent to me. I'm pretty sure I had a tear or 2 the first time I saw it.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 10-23-2019 at 02:20 PM.

The Kid Who Stole Superman’s Cape and the Krypto issues from Morrison’s Action Comics.
    Funeral for a Friend was very emotional as a kid when I read it.
    There were a couple issues in the Adventures of Superman series that moved me.
    That page from All-Star Superman. You know the one.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Some of All-Star, the last two pages of Birthright, Superman Owes A Billion Dollars!, Glasses (in Mysteries Of Love In Space), Miracle Monday, Superman Beyond, maybe sometimes Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow?, and if we're counting larger DC appearances the climax of JLA: World War III and DCeased #5.
    Buh-bye

No, I lost my tear ducts in the war.

I think I might've shed a single man tear in Superman Returns, when Clark repeats to his son the speech Jor-El made back in the 78 movie. But I'm a sucker for kids (even before being a father) and scenes with them can easily get to me. Like that Avengers Endgame scene where Happy is telling Tony's daughter he'll get her all the hamburgers she wants? Sh*t, that one hit hard. Shed a single man tear for that one too.

But in comics? No, I don't think I've ever cried. If anything got me to it'd probably have been the "Raegan" scene in All-Star.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member

"Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" and the first time that Christopher Reeve took to the sky in Superman the Movie.

Does JLA count? Scorch sacrificing herself to stop Fernus gets me.
    22f9c3fc449282bc4b6d40f6cb4f41a8d782d016_hq.jpg
    5572282-6626112363-26502.jpg
    5572285-6476125068-26502.jpg

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

One issue where Superman wasn't his usual self. He was colder. Beats up a Supervillain complaining about a rough life which got him even more mad. A civilian yelled at Superman because the fight wrecked his car. Superman crushed it and signed his name in heat vision and told the guy to go sell it on ebay.

Lois finds out Superman was visiting a terminally ill girl at a hospital who was no longer there. Superman was beating up another villain when Lois finds him. She asks him about the girl. Superman stops and tries to compose himself. He told her that the girl's body was found in a box under a bridge. He isn't happy. Superman goes on wondering why this piece of garbage he's fighting gets a healthy life but someone so good like that little girl had things so rough?

At the end Lois comforts him.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 10-23-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    One issue where Superman wasn't his usual self. He was colder. Beats up a Supervillain complaining about a rough life which got him even more mad. A civilian yelled at Superman because the fight wrecked his car. Superman crushed it and signed his name in heat vision and told the guy to go sell it on ebay.

Lois finds out Superman was visiting a terminally ill girl at a hospital who was no longer there. Superman was beating up another villain when Lois finds him. She asks him about the girl. Superman stops and tries to compose himself. He told her that the girl's body was found in a box under a bridge. He isn't happy. Superman goes on wondering why this piece of garbage he's fighting gets a healthy life but someone so good like that little girl had things so rough?

I remember that issue - very powerful.

For me, Superman #75 did it, as did parts of Funeral for a Friend (I was 12), and The Wedding Album did, too. At the time, I felt that the kind of relationship Lois and Clark had was pure fiction, so I was living vicariously through the books at that point.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Astonishing Member

Superman saving the suicidal girl in All-Star Superman #10. That page always gets me.

Spectacular Member

I cried when Bendis put those ugly trunks back on Superman lol

Oh I remember that. Superman went wrath of god on the guy because of his crimes. It was memorable because of not being a stupid reason for Superman to flip out on someone. I spent a while pondering it and realized that... it's just not the genre of story Superman is usually in. It's too... real. It was like a dramatization of a real world crime with Superman instead of a grizzled detective.

I really want to read that issue.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

"I love you Lois Lane, until the end of time."
    "I love you too, Superman."

Also, 'For the Man Who Has Everything'
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-24-2019 at 11:13 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I really want to read that issue.
    *shrug*

Sadly I think Austen would be well liked if he had a different pseudonym from the very start, like Cebulski did as Yoshida. You can't even recommend him with his rep.

What gets me more than anything, if I'm ever gonna even get misty eyed, is existential frustration. I can't recall that with Superman but probably the biggest chill I've ever gotten and continue to get is the Whatever Happened scene where Superman reacts to the comment about killing Lana. The last stands of Lana and Krypto are so powerful.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    *shrug*

Sadly I think Austen would be well liked if he had a different pseudonym from the very start, like Cebulski did as Yoshida. You can't even recommend him with his rep.

What gets me more than anything, if I'm ever gonna even get misty eyed, is existential frustration. I can't recall that with Superman but probably the biggest chill I've ever gotten and continue to get is the Whatever Happened scene where Superman reacts to the comment about killing Lana. The last stands of Lana and Krypto are so powerful.
    Woah AUSTEN wrote that? Alright you’ve convinced me I’m going to go give that a read.