Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Spider-Man Miniseries! Daily Bugle!

Marvel announced a new Spider-Man miniseries spinning out of events from ASM! Similar to Amazing MJ, this one focuses on Robbie Robertson as he investigates a secret in Spider-Man and Kingpin's past that has ramifications.

Check out the link below!
    https://www.cbr.com/marvel-amazing-s...le-miniseries/

My thing is this: I'm glad that Spider-Man's supporting cast is important enough to get their own miniseries, and I'm glad for that, but I am curious about how many books are launching from ASM that have lingering plot points from the main book. Does Spencer not have room to touch on these stories?

It's nice to see the Bugle and Robbie finally getting their due .

I wonder if this will follow up on what Norah is building up. And Ben Urich is on the cover too.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's nice to see the Bugle and Robbie finally getting their due .

I wonder if this will follow up on what Norah is building up. And Ben Urich is on the cover too.
    Whatever Norah has planned seems entirely separate from the Bugle, as she's specifically recruiting ex-Bugle employees

Default Daily Bugle Mini-Series Coming By Mat Johnson and Mark Chater

I've read Johnson's Incognegro stories which have been an excellent take on period journalism, so I'm looking forward to his writing on this.

I'm not as familiar with Mark Chater, but the results on Google Images for Briggs Land seem perfectly fine. He reminds me a lot of Michael Lark (Lazarus, Gotham Central.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Whatever Norah has planned seems entirely separate from the Bugle, as she's specifically recruiting ex-Bugle employees
    Yeah, but it seems to be building up to something to rival the Bugle, so we might see that referenced or more build up to it here .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, but it seems to be building up to something to rival the Bugle, so we might see that referenced or more build up to it here .
    A rival Bugle would be good. I missed when Front Line was a thing.

BANNED

This is the second Bugle-centric miniseries after The Pulse and a welcome one.

And yay, Robbie's in charge too, as Frontier said.

Does Spencer not have room to touch on these stories?
    Perhaps not to the extent of actually showing stuff from their POV which is why he is willing and ready to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

Perhaps not to the extent of actually showing stuff from their POV which is why he is willing and ready to share.
    I actually mentioned Robbie first. :P
    But yes: I'm glad that Spencer is willing to share the concepts/stories he has in mind. Almost makes me think he and Nick Lowe are curating this entire line (Black Cat, Amazing MJ, ASM: Daily Bugle, 2099...). It makes me glad that ASM feels not only like a solid Spider-Man title again, but also like a lynchpin of great stories that other creators can tell. It's neat.

BANNED

I actually mentioned Robbie first. :P
    Oh sorry. So as you and Frontier mentioned then.

But yes: I'm glad that Spencer is willing to share the concepts/stories he has in mind. Almost makes me think he and Nick Lowe are curating this entire line (Black Cat, Amazing MJ, ASM: Daily Bugle, 2099...). It makes me glad that ASM feels not only like a solid Spider-Man title again, but also like a lynchpin of great stories that other creators can tell. It's neat.
    This feels a bit like the JMS era. JMS was quite a generous lead-writer. When he wrote ASM, Paul Jenkins did Spectacular, followed by Millar on MK:Spider-Man, followed by Peter David on FNSMv.1, and at the same time you had Dan Slott's Spider-Man/Human Torch Miniseries, you had Bendis' Pulse, and you had Bendis' New Avengers.

You had a great lead vocalist and a terrific backing group.

Mat Johnson is likewise, the first African-American to write 616 Spider-Man since Jim Owsley, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh sorry. So as you and Frontier mentioned then.

This feels a bit like the JMS era. JMS was quite a generous lead-writer. When he wrote ASM, Paul Jenkins did Spectacular, followed by Millar on MK:Spider-Man, followed by Peter David on FNSMv.1, and at the same time you had Dan Slott's Spider-Man/Human Torch Miniseries, you had Bendis' Pulse, and you had Bendis' New Avengers.

Mat Johnson is likewise, the first African-American to write 616 Spider-Man since Jim Owsley, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Matt Johnson is black? Ayyyyy!!! Represent!

BANNED

Matt Johnson is black? Ayyyyy!!! Represent!
    Well read his wikipedia, he has a pretty interesting story. And his Vertigo series about the founder of NAACP (which Mister Mets recommends, but I haven't read myself and now I probably will)...is interesting in terms of how he sees himself.

I hope that Joe Robertson has a good characterization. (yes, his first name is Joe- "Robbie" was Jameson's nickname for him. But somehow that's been lost in translation over the years).
    Joe was the sympathetic editor at the Bugle, compared to Jonah's off-the-rails reactionary tendencies.
    I personally would like to see a mini on Joe Robertson when he was a younger reporter. I believe his backstory involved Philadelphia. The story could focus on a crime story and show how his feelings evolved about his profession, and his glimpse into the world of metas. You could also do a "retcon" story about the beginning of his tenure at the Daily Bugle. Both he and Jonah would be younger. Jonah would be a curmudgeon City Editor, and Joe would be a crime reporter trying to get a story done and Jonah is a skeptic that it's going to lead anywhere. Maybe Joe doesn't like the nickname "Robbie" to begin with, and doesn't quite get along with Jonah at first.

Spencer feels like he's hit the sweet spot to where he's not as insular as JMS while also not being as obvious about setting up spinoffs as Slott was, and whenever we do get spinoffs they feel more like actual extensions of Spider-Man/Peter's story or life rather then "insert new Spider-Hero."

The Pulse was an ongoing.

There was another mini in the 90s.

http://www.comicscube.com/2013/05/gr...-bugle-13.html
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The Pulse was an ongoing.

There was another mini in the 90s.

http://www.comicscube.com/2013/05/gr...-bugle-13.html
    Interesting.