Page 34 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: DC on HBO Max

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Non-PG Constantine would be great. Let's see John Constantine be a real nasty piece of work
    Constantine in the City of Demons animation and in the recent animated films is pretty decidedly non-PG .

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    It's DC Universe will turn into DC Unlimited and be just comics while HBO Max will show all the shows...At least that's how I see it.
    Damn, I should have played the lottery...

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

GL and Gossip Girl have the same audience?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Depends, is it on the CW or MAX?

Greg Berlanti doing more some more DC TV shows for HBO Max?! That is good news to me because he seems to be the only person in Hollywood who knows how to make these characters work for modern TV and you know actually made them FUN to watch and if these shows are 1% as good as the Arrowverse shows are (even at their worst all of the Arrowverse TV shows are a trillion times better than the so-called "Snyderverse" movies and the crossovers like Crisis on Earth-X, Elseworlds, and Crisis on Infinite Earths are better and the REAL live action Justice League movies and are far better than that piece of crap movie that WB is still throwing away money on to make "work") and his tarck record might make me want to subscribe to HBO Max if I have the money.
    Last edited by Cyberstrike; 10-02-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    If the audience is general young people, then yes.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    Greg Berlanti doing more some more DC TV shows for HBO Max?! That is good news to me because he seems to be the only person in Hollywood who knows how to make these characters work for modern TV and you know actually made them FUN to watch and if these shows are 1% as good as the Arrowverse shows are (even at their worst all of the Arrowverse TV shows are a trillion times better than the so-called "Snyderverse" movies and the crossovers like Crisis on Earth-X, Elseworlds, and Crisis on Infinite Earths are better and the REAL live action Justice League movies and are far better than that piece of crap movie that WB is still throwing away money on to make "work") and his tarck record might make me want to subscribe to HBO Max if I have the money.
    I dont think he is the only person in Hollywood, he just happens to be the only person who WB keeps giving all of their projects to. All of his CW shows are very generic and have been helped by seasons of character development as opposed to a thrown together Justice League but to me...Crisis was SO BAD. It was hyped by cameos for its saving grace.

They need to let others get their hands on DC characters instead of being lazy and safe.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    The whole reason I was excited for DC projects on HBO Max was that the quality of writing and production could soar. I could enjoy the Arrowverse for what it was, but there are heights these characters can reach that are severely held back by the teenage melodrama tropes of the CW. If it's the same formula on HBO with shinier special effects, then it's a wasted opportunity.

The writing quality will depend on who else is hired and what constraints they're playing with, but it makes sense that they're aiming at an all ages audience. Something with a cinematic budget like Green Lantern has gotta have more broad appeal than something like Titans and Doom Patrol, which are able to go in a hard-R direction because they're so niche (and Titans in particular is very cheap).

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The writing quality will depend on who else is hired and what constraints they're playing with, but it makes sense that they're aiming at an all ages audience. Something with a cinematic budget like Green Lantern has gotta have more broad appeal than something like Titans and Doom Patrol, which are able to go in a hard-R direction because they're so niche (and Titans in particular is very cheap).
    Well the problem here is that you don't have to ape the CW style to be all ages. Frankly all ages can be deep, can be good, can frankly be better than what I'm used to from Berlanti. You don't have to go down the blegh path the CW has to be all ages.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Well the problem here is that you don't have to ape the CW style to be all ages. Frankly all ages can be deep, can be good, can frankly be better than what I'm used to from Berlanti. You don't have to go down the blegh path the CW has to be all ages.
    I agree with this. Personally I think Titans didn't have to go in the hard R direction. All ages content doesn't have to be filled with childish drama. It's interesting to note that out of all of DC announced shows and animations, like six or seven, only one appealed to all ages and that was Stargirl. I wonder if HBO thought it was to teenage like and sent it to CW.

I think a Stargirl-esque tone would be fine for GL.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think a Stargirl-esque tone would be fine for GL.
    I mean if the rumor that it will be set in two different time periods are true that could work, have the future period star a newer lantern like Kyle, Jessica, or Simon who are learning about people like Hal, John, or Guy in the past period. New heroes trying to live up to the old while acknowledging the past history really works.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean if the rumor that it will be set in two different time periods are true that could work, have the future period star a newer lantern like Kyle, Jessica, or Simon who are learning about people like Hal, John, or Guy in the past period. New heroes trying to live up to the old while acknowledging the past history really works.
    I still suspect the two period of GL's are going to be Hal in the past and John in the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Constantine in the City of Demons animation and in the recent animated films is pretty decidedly non-PG .
    imo, that movie was really underrated, it's the highlight of Ryan's Constantine.