Page 45 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Thread: DC on HBO Max

Imagine Vision with the Time Stone and a cooler costume complete with hoodie and that's the android Hourman.

And I don't mean this as a knock on the character. I like the android Hourman but that's shortest way to describe the character to someone who doesn't know him. Plus, I think you need to establish Rex and Rick first before you get to Matthew.

I think Stargirl basically rules out them using Rick and Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I highly doubt the people in charge of the movies know of, care for, or are beholden to what Stargirl has or does.

Yep, if they cared we wouldn't have two separate Flashes. Or heck, three different Batmen on the film side alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I highly doubt the people in charge of the movies know of, care for, or are beholden to what Stargirl has or does.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Yep, if they cared we wouldn't have two separate Flashes. Or heck, three different Batmen on the film side alone.
    I don't think it's a matter of caring or not but despite statements to the contrary there still seems to be hesitancy for multiple versions of DC characters, at least in their common form, across multiple live-action adaptions.

They had to write Constantine out of Legends of Tomorrow because of the HBOMax stuff. So unless Hourman is a different Tyler, I guess they'll write Rick out of Stargirl.

Edit: Oh, you meant regarding the Hourman film vs Stargirl's Hourman, my bad!
    Last edited by Vakanai; 09-21-2021 at 06:08 PM.

I don't think it's a matter of caring or not but despite statements to the contrary there still seems to be hesitancy for multiple versions of DC characters, at least in their common form, across multiple live-action adaptions.

They had to write Constantine out of Legends of Tomorrow because of the HBOMax stuff. So unless Hourman is a different Tyler, I guess they'll write Rick out of Stargirl.
    Depends - is the HBO Max using the same Constantine actor?

Imagine Vision with the Time Stone and a cooler costume complete with hoodie and that's the android Hourman.
    Not at all. His power set and costume were incidental. I mean his powers were an excuse to tell the story they told, but it was his relationship with the supporting cast, especially Snapper Carr, that made the series stand out. There’s no explaining what was great about it. You just have to read it, which everyone should. One of the most underrated series’ ever.

And I don't mean this as a knock on the character. I like the android Hourman but that's shortest way to describe the character to someone who doesn't know him. Plus, I think you need to establish Rex and Rick first before you get to Matthew.
    Rex and Rick could and should be a part of the movie as well. There’s no need to establish them separately. It wasn’t necessary to the series that one knew who they were in advance. But also there’s not enough room in a two hour movie for the whole story. Some bits would have to be cut. Personally I would neither cut Rex and Rick nor set them up in advance. They work perfectly well without foreknowledge.

Because we only get one version of each character in various media? You’re living in the 2010’s my friend. That rule no longer applies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Because we only get one version of each character in various media? You’re living in the 2010’s my friend. That rule no longer applies.
    It applies when DC wants it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    It applies when DC wants it too.
    That rule's never applied to the films - only the shows. Films take priority, so the Hourman movie can use whichever version of the character they want. They're free to pick. If the rule is applied at all still, it'd be leveled at the show. But I don't think the rule is in place right now.

Depends - is the HBO Max using the same Constantine actor?
    They had an open casting call, so I doubt it.
    I mean, tell that to DC/WB. Contrary to expectations it seems like the embargoes are to some extent a thing.
    That rule's never applied to the films - only the shows. Films take priority, so the Hourman movie can use whichever version of the character they want. They're free to pick. If the rule is applied at all still, it'd be leveled at the show. But I don't think the rule is in place right now.
    Probably reasonable to assume they'll use the Hourman not as strong associated with the JSA and had his own modern solo book.

Not at all. His power set and costume were incidental. I mean his powers were an excuse to tell the story they told, but it was his relationship with the supporting cast, especially Snapper Carr, that made the series stand out. There’s no explaining what was great about it. You just have to read it, which everyone should. One of the most underrated series’ ever.
    It was an overly simple way to describe the character to someone unfamiliar with the character.

Rex and Rick could and should be a part of the movie as well. There’s no need to establish them separately. It wasn’t necessary to the series that one knew who they were in advance. But also there’s not enough room in a two hour movie for the whole story. Some bits would have to be cut. Personally I would neither cut Rex and Rick nor set them up in advance. They work perfectly well without foreknowledge.
    I didn't mean they should be established in separate projects. Just that the android is inseparable from his predecessors and you can't do a project with Matthew without working in Rick and Rex into the plot somehow.