Page 44 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: DC on HBO Max

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    And to start with Housman?

Not Black Canary, Hawkman, Flash, Starman but Housman?

Who comes up thease pitches, plasticwoman movie, superpets
    I suspect some of that is cost of production, casting and other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I'm only calling it Hawkworld because "Hawkman and Hawkwoman" sounds weird to me. I don't see why the comics would be an issue. Aquaman has had like 4 or 5 origins and Wonder Woman's history has been just as convoluted.

They just have to take the Justice League Unlimited origin sans John Stewart. Thanagarian cops landed on Ancient Egypt and become royalty. Shadow Thief kills them but by the magical properties of nth metal or something they reincarnate on earth for several lifetimes always finding each other.

It's just laying there full of potential. It's Romeo and Juliet, Titanic, except with magic and alien empires. You could even make it culturally relevant by exploring the idea of culture and ancestors in Egypt.
    Can't speak of Aquaman's, but Wonder Woman's not that convoluted, most of the basic beats are the same (raised on island of all females, Steve Trevor crashes on his plane, off to Man's world) with the biggest point of contention being the clay vs Zeus origin (and as much as some fans hate to admit it, that aspect of her origin is not important and can be ignored entirely - doesn't effect who she becomes).

We really need confirmation on the actor casted for static film
    I thought they were still in the writing stage and haven't gone into casting yet? That said, if they have cast the Static film we'll probably find out more on Fandome.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I suspect some of that is cost of production, casting and other factors.
    This too - Hourman is an easily doable on the cheap kind of property, which makes it ideal for HBO Max.

https://www.thevulcanreporter.com/ex...-release-date/

YJ season 4 Phantoms comin This October.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    https://www.thevulcanreporter.com/ex...-release-date/

YJ season 4 Phantoms comin This October.
    so trailer by fandome

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Can't speak of Aquaman's, but Wonder Woman's not that convoluted, most of the basic beats are the same (raised on island of all females, Steve Trevor crashes on his plane, off to Man's world) with the biggest point of contention being the clay vs Zeus origin (and as much as some fans hate to admit it, that aspect of her origin is not important and can be ignored entirely - doesn't effect who she becomes).
    Yes if you pick a single origin for Diana it's not complicated, but the same thing applies to Hawkman. Or more to the point, a single origin that combines the two cool elements which are "winged cops from a distant space empire" and "princes constantly reincarnating on earth". And in that case if we just removed John Stewart from the equation then Justice League Unlimited fuses those two origins without complications. And thus you have a great pitch for a film.

(The reason why Wonder Woman is complicated is because she has been rebooted like 10 times, most writers only had a short run on her, and the status quos keep being abandoned by the suceeding writer.)

And as far as Hourman being cheap, fine, but what the hell is the pitch for the character?

Yes if you pick a single origin for Diana it's not complicated, but the same thing applies to Hawkman. Or more to the point, a single origin that combines the two cool elements which are "winged cops from a distant space empire" and "princes constantly reincarnating on earth". And in that case if we just removed John Stewart from the equation then Justice League Unlimited fuses those two origins without complications. And thus you have a great pitch for a film.

(The reason why Wonder Woman is complicated is because she has been rebooted like 10 times, most writers only had a short run on her, and the status quos keep being abandoned by the suceeding writer.)

And as far as Hourman being cheap, fine, but what the hell is the pitch for the character?
    I wouldn't say it's the same thing - Diana's origins are similar, the Hawks' aren't. Besides, isn't Hawkman going to be in Black Adam anyway?
    (And I don't know what the pitch for Hourman is, but obviously someone came up with a good one, hence his movie.)

I wouldn't say it's the same thing - Diana's origins are similar, the Hawks' aren't.
    So what? There's still that obvious solution for the origin. So why do people still use comics continuity as a reason not to do a Hawkman and woman movie?

Besides, isn't Hawkman going to be in Black Adam anyway?
    Exactly, another big reason to give him and Hawkwoman a solo film.

And to start with Housman?

Not Black Canary, Hawkman, Flash, Starman but Housman?

Who comes up thease pitches, plasticwoman movie, superpets
    Before Flash and Arrow there was talk about an Hourman tv show which got canned for unknown reasons.

I'm pretty sure this is only happening because somebody inside WB/DC is a huge Hourman fan and really wants to get a project with the character off the ground for once.

Hourman briefly had Wesley Dodd's gimmick of being able to see the future but there is another Sandman getting his own show. A superhero with the ability to see the future and then having to rush prevent catastrophe would be a cool gimmick and him becoming addicted to the pills which gives him his power could be another cool factor.

The most unique superhero in the JSA roster and one who would stand out even in todays crowded superhero adaptation landscape is probably Dr Mid-nite but I don't think you could build a film around him. An MD who is also a superhero hasn't been done yet (Dr Strange doesn't really count). The only ones I can see carrying a film are Hawkman and Dr Fate. The rest (except Starman) , I can only imagine working in a series akin to Stargirl where you have a main protagonist who meets and re discovers these former legendary heroes.

So what? There's still that obvious solution for the origin. So why do people still use comics continuity as a reason not to do a Hawkman and woman movie?
    Not sure how obvious ripping off the DCAU is for the live action guys. Might be to us fans, but Hollywood/live-action elitism is what it is.

Exactly, another big reason to give him and Hawkwoman a solo film.
    ...not really? The solos leading up to the JSA seems to be for those not introduced separately elsewhere.

I think Hourman's not going to connected to the JSA at all. Which is why they're probably going with Matthew Tyler.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think they're probably going to go with robot Hourman for the movie.
    I agree. Every time the movie is mentioned, I picture the robot Hourman. He's the one with a pretty good (but sadly brief) ongoing they could mine for the movie.
    That doesn't mean he'll be the star for sure, but I can definitely see it happen, especially after Vision has done so well as a co-star in WandaVision.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I agree. Every time the movie is mentioned, I picture the robot Hourman. He's the one with a pretty good (but sadly brief) ongoing they could mine for the movie.
    That doesn't mean he'll be the star for sure, but I can definitely see it happen, especially after Vision has done so well as a co-star in WandaVision.
    who would be supporting him

I wouldn't say it's the same thing - Diana's origins are similar, the Hawks' aren't. Besides, isn't Hawkman going to be in Black Adam anyway?
    (And I don't know what the pitch for Hourman is, but obviously someone came up with a good one, hence his movie.)
    I think Peyer’s robot Hourman is about as good of a pitch as there could be.

Ok i'm not familliar with it so could you explain what you imagine a movie about the robot Hourman would be about?

Incredible Member

Hawkman's origin is not complicated. It only gets complicated when you try and rope in
    the Thanagar element. But the Golden Age story shows Hawkman in a reincarnated battle
    with Hath-Set down through the years. Throw in Hawkgirl who is his lost love, who herself
    suffers the same fate as Carter Hall, well, it couldn't be simpler. It only gets problematic
    when you want to explain a distant planet.

I think Hourman should work. You have tremendous fighting ability, but lacks the power
    of Superman, so different. But you have the fact that only has an hour to get things done,
    which if life gets complicated, can put him in a bind.

I'm not familiar with the robot Hourman either.