Page 35 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: DC on HBO Max

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I still suspect the two period of GL's are going to be Hal in the past and John in the present.
    I mean hey John is just as cool, its just that when I think young new Lanterns I think Kyle, Simon, or Jessica.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean hey John is just as cool, its just that when I think young new Lanterns I think Kyle, Simon, or Jessica.
    It depends how we're defining "young."

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It depends how we're defining "young."
    I think it also matters how deep into lantern lore they are looking to go for the show. Like are we going with Emerald Twilight where Hal became Parallax and this the future plot would focus on a kyle Rayner character who is learning about the destroyed corps. Do we want it more like pre-crisis where Hal just retired and left it to John? Or are we skipping all that and going more modern with Green Lantern Rebirth/the current run of comics.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I think it also matters how deep into lantern lore they are looking to go for the show. Like are we going with Emerald Twilight where Hal became Parallax and this the future plot would focus on a kyle Rayner character who is learning about the destroyed corps. Do we want it more like pre-crisis where Hal just retired and left it to John? Or are we skipping all that and going more modern with Green Lantern Rebirth/the current run of comics.
    I would be amazed if there wasn't plenty of influences from Johns' run in the series, in some form or another.

I hope they spin a Hawkman tv show out of Black Adam. The Batman and Suicide Squad are gettign spin offs, so maybe Black Adam will have too.

I'd assumed John would be the present one just because he and Hal are the two most known Lanterns in the mainstream. They could always add more in later seasons.

Seth Grahame-Smith, the Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter novelist-turned-screenwriter of such movies as The Lego Batman Movie, will act as showrunner of the DC Comics-based series and co-write the inaugural episode with Marc Guggenheim, the co-creator of DC shows Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow.

Lantern, a one-hour drama, has been given a 10 episode straight-to-series order. It hails from Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television. Greg Berlanti and Geoff Johns, the comics author-turned-DC show creator, were involved in the 2011 Green Lantern movie as was Guggenheim. While the movie didn’t shine green at the box office, the show is being seen as a way to course correct and re-introduce one of the longest-lasting names in superhero comics.

The makers are describing the show as a saga spanning decades and galaxies And will feature a host of Green Lanterns, the galactic police officers that patrol the known and unknown universe. The show will focus on Earth-centric Lanterns Guy Gardner, Jessica Cruz, Simon Baz, and Alan Scott and will also have alien Lanterns such as fan-favorite Kilowog, as well as Sinestro, a former Lantern now turned villain.

Scott is the original Green Lantern, first introduced in 1940’s All-American Comics #16. In the past decade, he has been receated as a gay character. Gardner was created in the 1960s and has a tough-talking, fists first attitude. Cruz, a Latina, and Bax, a Muslim-American, are more recent creations. Lanterns Hal Jordan, perhaps the best known character in the franchise, John Stewart and Kyle Raynor are not part of the show.

Many details are being kept on the planet Oa but the show is rumoured to possibly being the most expensive show coming from Berlanti, one of the most prolific producers working in TV today.

The show is in the breaking down the story stage and could be, factoring directors and casting, in production by mid-next year.

Grahame-Smith wrote Vampire Hunter and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, best-sellers that both received high-profile adaptations. Grahame-Smith also wrote Timo Burton’s Dark Shadows and was a producer on Stephen King’s It and executive producer on It: Chapter Two. He is repped by WME and Morris Yorn.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...hbo-max-series

I'm VERY worried about the prospect of Marc Guggenheim writing Alan Scott again.
    The guy is probably one of the worst writers to ever handle him. His JSA was abysmal.

Same showrunner as Arrow, so no surprise that John Stewart isn't there spoilers:
    because he already did a version of him - Diggle.
    end of spoilers. Hal was likely avoided due to the flop movie.

Good to see that Simon and Jessica will be appearing in live action though. I wasn't expecting Alan to be there alongside them, considering he isn't part of the Corps in the comics.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 10-09-2020 at 11:34 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Same showrunner as Arrow, so no surprise that John Stewart isn't there spoilers:
    because he already did a version of him - Diggle.
    end of spoilers. Hal was likely avoided due to the flop movie.
    Nah. What's more likely is that this was done to avoid potential conflict with the movie they've been discussing. One of the few details revealed was that it'd feature John Stewart and Hal Jordan in a buddy cop scenario.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I'm fine with John not being here if it means Guggenheim is writing this show. Dude is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I'm fine with John not being here if it means Guggenheim is writing this show. Dude is terrible.
    Yeah, maybe writing for a show will different but the 2011 film is also the hang up for me also.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Nah. What's more likely is that this was done to avoid potential conflict with the movie they've been discussing. One of the few details revealed was that it'd feature John Stewart and Hal Jordan in a buddy cop scenario.
    We had a movie and tv shows Flash and Cyborg that didn't screw up Justice League.

Unless you are using the same actors that should be no reason for Hal nor John to be MIA in this show.

BANNED

Whatever the case, it looks like DC has given up on the idea of having an actual "lead" for this franchise and is leaning into its ensemble capabilities. I guess that can be good, but I also see it as bad, because when you hear about "Green Lantern," audiences never really know what they're going to get, and though they may have liked one incarnation, another may not interest them at all. When they hear about "Superman" or "Batman," they know what they're going to get, and that expectation has worked out pretty well for DC's biggest characters.

Also, I'll believe in a Green Lantern movie when I actually see casting for it, or something more concrete than very vague announcements and that someone is writing a script.

Yeah I think as far as outside media is concerned there would likely be no such thing as "main" Green Lantern anymore. Sometimes we'll see Hal, sometimes John, sometimes Jess, sometimes someone else, sometimes all of them. Some of the characters will obviously still be promoted more than others but for the time being I doubt there will be a "face" of the brand or at least not just one.