Page 36 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: DC on HBO Max

Marc Guggenheim writing? I'm glad John is not there lol. And besides, there's more than enough Green Lanterns on that show. I guess Kyle's purpose as a GL is over it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Marc Guggenheim writing? I'm glad John is not there lol. And besides, there's more than enough Green Lanterns on that show. I guess Kyle's purpose as a GL is over it seems.
    I guess John "might" appear in a theatrical movie someday. Maybe. But of course Hal is still likely "first" to reintroduce in films. Or maybe both will be introduced at the same time. Hal's Air Force and John is Marines, right? Well, I'm sure some writer will find a way.

I wonder how much of the backstories of the characters on the show will be delved into and simplified? I doubt that Jessica will be from another Earth, for example.

It's a bummer that Kyle won't be in it but I don't know how they could use him without doing Emerald Twilight. Maybe if they get around to doing that storyline he could be introduced down the line.

I hope they don't turn Alan into "gay Hal Jordan" and they actually adapt the comic version so we can see the Starheart, the WWII setting and so on.
    But he'll probably be generic Corps member.

Incredible Member

I don’t think an extended, higher-budget Emerald Knights could work…

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I wonder how much of the backstories of the characters on the show will be delved into and simplified? I doubt that Jessica will be from another Earth, for example.
    Jessica isn't from another world. Her original ring in New 52 Justice League was, but it was destroyed and replaced with a ring from Prime Earth, prompting her to change her codename from Power Ring (the codename of Earth-3 Hal who she got her original ring from) to Green Lantern.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I wish people would let this Diggle and John Stewart thing go.

This is giving me very much smurfette principle, so I hope there will be more main female characters, maybe Jade or someone else.

I am hoping the reason why Kyle is not included is b/c he's being saved for the big screen or something of his own b/c without John or Kyle, I have no interest in this, even with Guy being involved.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    We had a movie and tv shows Flash and Cyborg that didn't screw up Justice League.
    And you had Arrow ordered to kill off the Suicide Squad because of the movie, and that Nightwing movie disappear into the ether once Titans was a thing. This has historically been a thing WB has done from time to time.

Hmm...I am surprised they're not going with Hal and John unless they're really committed to using them for the GL movie (which I'm still not convinced is happening). Not that I mind the Lantern's they're going with, just surprised.

Although without Hal or John I'm not sure why they're using Sinestro since he's not deeply connected to any of the leads they're using. I mean, Kilowog's one thing, but Sinestro doesn't seem to fit this cast.

Berlanti I don't really have a problem with, but I'm skeptical about Guggenheim.
    Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    This is giving me very much smurfette principle, so I hope there will be more main female characters, maybe Jade or someone else.

I am hoping the reason why Kyle is not included is b/c he's being saved for the big screen or something of his own b/c without John or Kyle, I have no interest in this, even with Guy being involved.
    I guess with Alan, Jade makes sense even though Kyle's not in it.

But there's a lot of female Lanterns they can include (Arisia, Iolande, Boodika, etc.)

I guess John "might" appear in a theatrical movie someday. Maybe. But of course Hal is still likely "first" to reintroduce in films. Or maybe both will be introduced at the same time. Hal's Air Force and John is Marines, right? Well, I'm sure some writer will find a way.

Yes, if there's a GL film, John will most likely appear. There's no doubt about that. Too many people is talking about the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post
    It's a bummer that Kyle won't be in it but I don't know how they could use him without doing Emerald Twilight. Maybe if they get around to doing that storyline he could be introduced down the line.
    That's possible. But that's the problem I see, though. Is that Kyle shouldn't be held back because of Emerald Twilight. If they really want him, they would use the character regardless.

I think I saw someone say it best recently that when it comes to some of the legacy brands, there are really no sacred cows anymore. If there were, they'd find a way to put Hal, John and Kyle or at least one of them on this show, regardless if there are movie plans or not. The fact that they're not I think shows that DC doesn't find any of them to be too valuable to the point of not being able to do a Green Lantern TV show without any of them. Now who knows, if the 2011 movie never happened and this show was announced about a decade ago it could very well have been a Hal-centered show like the animated series was, but things have changed a lot for the GL brand since then. All I can really hope for is they're seeing the benefit of pushing multiple characters at once rather than just one or two.
    Last edited by Johnny; 10-11-2020 at 05:16 AM.

See backstory is something that I am admittedly a little afraid of, especially if they are going with more modern interpretations of characters. Mainly because I think each of their backstories are a bit dark and sensitive that doing it poorly can have consequences.

Like are we going to see Guy and his abusive father issues, the fact that if Alan is gay that he lost his love in the accident that gave him his powers and hid his sexuality from the world because of the time period, Jessica having to deal with near crippling trauma, and my god Simon’s is probably the worst out of all of them. I mean his origin is literally a Muslim American who got pinned for terrorism by the government and then sent to Guantanamo where he was nearly tortured and killed. I like Simon, but his origin is ugly and could lead to some issues if not properly handled.

I’m not saying don’t do it, it’s there backstories after all and to deny them would probably be worse, I’m just saying they are sensitive topics that need to be handled with care.
    Last edited by sifighter; 10-11-2020 at 07:56 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess with Alan, Jade makes sense even though Kyle's not in it.

But there's a lot of female Lanterns they can include (Arisia, Iolande, Boodika, etc.)
    And how much budget will they eat in makeup and effects? Not Arisia anyway.

The fact that they're not I think shows that DC doesn't find any of them to be too valuable to the point of not being able to do a Green Lantern TV show without any of them.
    So when the show fails whose fault will it be?

When you got actors cosplaying as John Stewart and literally begging to play him-you exclude him from a show?

Hal has the most merchandise (comic wise) and he is left out.

Folks are going to be asking where are they way more than paying attention to the rest.

If this show was on the CW-I could see doing it without them. See Legends of Tomorrow-surviving without major DC folks.

On HBO Max-where folks have to PAY to see it-no.

That's possible. But that's the problem I see, though. Is that Kyle shouldn't be held back because of Emerald Twilight. If they really want him, they would use the character regardless.
    With Kyle you just need to find some way to take the Corps. out and leave him the last GL. There are various ways to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    And how much budget will they eat in makeup and effects? Not Arisia anyway.
    I don't think Iolande or Boodika need that much makeup, and they'd all need the same GL effects. They're more human than a lot of male GL's.
    So when the show fails whose fault will it be?
    Marc Guggenheim?
    When you got actors cosplaying as John Stewart and literally begging to play him-you exclude him from a show?

Hal has the most merchandise (comic wise) and he is left out.

Folks are going to be asking where are they way more than paying attention to the rest.

If this show was on the CW-I could see doing it without them. See Legends of Tomorrow-surviving without major DC folks.

On HBO Max-where folks have to PAY to see it-no.
    They might be assuming the diverse cast they have set up will be able to attract their own set of fans, as well as newcomers.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    With Kyle you just need to find some way to take the Corps. out and leave him the last GL. There are various ways to do that.

I don't think Iolande or Boodika need that much makeup, and they'd all need the same GL effects. They're more human than a lot of male GL's.

Marc Guggenheim?

They might be assuming the diverse cast they have set up will be able to attract their own set of fans, as well as newcomers.
    the only way I could see them doing the last Lantern arc for Kyle is if they mix in Edge of Oblivion/Lost Army by having the Corp be sent to a different reality. Mass-murder is a non-possibility considering the value of the Corps as an ensemble as risen significantly since the time where DC thought it was a valid option to kill them all for the sake of one or two characters; plus it gives them narrative milage to explore what they were doing while Kyle was coming into his own.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."