Page 13 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: DC on HBO Max

Who really knows at this point. I know there was a rumor of Kyle, but that was just a rumor and I think it was also rumored to be on DC Universe as well. Though, it's safe to assume DC Universe is on the backburner at this point. I'm personally hoping for Hal/John buddy cop.

I saw this image floating around, but it can't possibly be a real promo art, right? That watermark thing in the lower right corner kind of gives it away.

Yeah the only official promo art is that Lantern poster which shows nothing.

If I could get a Superman animated series with a more mature slant to it, I'd drop Netflix for this in a heartbeat.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Well, Kyle and his circumstances about how he got to become a GL are very newbie friendly. He's by his own (no other GLs for a while), he doesn't have a background tied to space and he's not an aged/mature adult. I could see them going with him for the sake of new audience—non comic readers—to the concept of GL.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Well, Kyle and his circumstances about how he got to become a GL are very newbie friendly. He's by his own (no other GLs for a while), he doesn't have a background tied to space and he's not a very aged adult. I could see them going with him for the sake of new audience—non comic readers—to the concept of GL.
    Thing is, one of the few details we know is that it's set in space. Not again Kyle per se, I just hope they don't go with a "boring" cast that's mostly human in a fantastical series.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Thing is, one of the few details we know is that it's set in space. Not again Kyle per se, I just hope they don't go with a "boring" cast that's mostly human in a fantastical series.
    Mmmm... That's a bit I didn't know about. But, well, you're going to eventually reach space at some point. It's just that I think it could work better for a TV series, with him as the MC. That' and that it would allow for a more afordable production, with less aliens and visual effects (again, only for a while). Makeup, puppets and digital effects aren't cheap if you want them to look good.

But if they're in space from day one, well, I guess that means not Kyle, definitely.

Yeah, obviously not cheap. However, they came out right away and stated this is the biggest DC show ever done and was very likely done as an answer to the MCU Disney+ shows. We can expect the budget to be astronomically higher than the CW shows. Using the MCU shows as measuring stick, perhaps over 120 million for an 8-episode series. HBO is known for spare no expense, so I'd expect something more than what the CW has to offer.

Yeah, obviously not cheap. However, they came out right away and stated this is the biggest DC show ever done and was very likely done as an answer to the MCU Disney+ shows. We can expect the budget to be astronomically higher than the CW shows. Using the MCU shows as measuring stick, perhaps over 120 million for an 8-episode series. HBO is known for spare no expense, so I'd expect something more than what the CW has to offer.
    Wow! That would be higher than their budget for the first seasons of Game of Thrones. I can't believe they're going to invest so much in a show that they aren't even sure that it's going to work well. Not even with Disney+ as their competition. I've seen HBO cancelling shows with a more modest budget than that because it wasn't profitable enough (Carnivāle, even if it happened like... fifteen years ago. I feel old). HBO is currently producing Westworld, which is a really, really expensive show. I would be impressed if they pull such a bold decision and give them a budget that big, but if news says that it's like that, it's like that (I'm honestly impressed).

Not sure the budget of early GoT was, I remember like 70 mil? But I believe it got higher. It was mentioned the Euphoria, a teen drama, cost 88 mil... yeah HBO has money to spend. Reminds me of how Tokyo Vice is going to be filmed on location in Japan, and you know THAT alone is super expensive.

I think as TV has proven increasingly viable and popular, they've been willing to spend big bucks for small screen productions. Disney is spending that much for their MCU shows, so Warner likely is trying to compete.

I would hope they don't cut corners with this show anyways. As the biggest DC show, it should live up to it.

Not sure the budget of early GoT was, I remember like 70 mil? But I believe it got higher. It was mentioned the Euphoria, a teen drama, cost 88 mil... yeah HBO has money to spend. Reminds me of how Tokyo Vice is going to be filmed on location in Japan, and you know THAT alone is super expensive.

I think as TV has proven increasingly viable and popular, they've been willing to spend big bucks for small screen productions. Disney is spending that much for their MCU shows, so Warner likely is trying to compete.

I would hope they don't cut corners with this show anyways. As the biggest DC show, it should live up to it.
    It was 10 millions per episode. Or at least, that was for the first three or so seasons, as far as I recall (edit: I may be remembering wrong and it was 7 million. But I swear I read 10 somewhere years ago). It probably was around the 150 mark for the whole season six and seven, each one, which were shorter seasons as well, but had a lot more digital effects (and battles); and then for season seven, there were new contracts for some actors, I think.

Edit 2: nevermind. Westworld season 1 was the one which had 10$ per episode.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 10-30-2019 at 01:27 PM.

I wonder if it's "set in space" in the sense that Kyle can go into space, not that it's permanently set in space.

I imagine some of it will have to be set on Earth if for no other reasons than flashbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I imagine some of it will have to be set on Earth if for no other reasons than flashbacks.
    Ha - please, no more flashbacks in comic book shows!

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Ha - please, no more flashbacks in comic book shows!
    "Earth" is the new "The Island" .

I'll be interested to see how the GL aesthetic differs from the movie. I'm guessing the costume won't be all CGI.