Page 25 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: DC on HBO Max

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Oh yeah, Amell isn't. The costume though...
    Was there a costume? It seems to me that Ollie was just wearing his usual togs. I thought that was better. They wouldn't have had the budget to do Spectre right. So I appreciate TV shows that know their limitations and try to find other ways to do things, without spending money they don't have. You know that if they had really tried to make a Spectre then everyone would have bashed it. There would be a thread going on for a hundred pages, with people just bashing the Spectre's look. They didn't need that headache. I'm glad they went simple. We can always imagine for ourselves what we didn't see on screen. This is why comic books exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Was there a costume? It seems to me that Ollie was just wearing his usual togs. I thought that was better. They wouldn't have had the budget to do Spectre right. So I appreciate TV shows that know their limitations and try to find other ways to do things, without spending money they don't have. You know that if they had really tried to make a Spectre then everyone would have bashed it. There would be a thread going on for a hundred pages, with people just bashing the Spectre's look. They didn't need that headache. I'm glad they went simple. We can always imagine for ourselves what we didn't see on screen. This is why comic books exist.
    He wore a cheap looking hood over his final season costume. I get they were working under a budget, like they were for a lot of Crisis, but I just don't think it worked as well. People complained enough with what we got as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Phantom Stranger would work great, but Spectre would need an insane amount of CGI to look good.
    Yeah, that’s why think guest starring once or twice a season is probably the only way Spectre could probably be done. Phantom Stranger could just be a guy in a nice suit with some fancy eye contacts.

Extraordinary Member

Well dc was able to do doctor manhattan on tv,martian manhunter,the white martians, gorilla grodd,the anti monitor,doomsday and king shark for example.
    They will be doing green lantern as well.
    The doomsday from the tv show krypton looks better then the movie version.
    It was more accurate looking.
    Marvel was able to do ghost rider and hive on tv and they be doing she-hulk,and kamala khan upcoming.
    Lucasfilm, the mandalorian.
    If those could be done on tv then the spectre could clearly be done as well.

Last edited by mace11; 04-19-2020 at 01:53 PM.

How much you can do is going to depend on just how much HBO coughs up for this endeavor. Titans has very, very obvious budget restrictions, but I have to imagine HBO Max will have a bigger coin purse to work with than DC Universe ever did.

Extraordinary Member

I think stargirl has the highest budget of any dc universe show so far looking at trailers and this last one.
    This last trailer is the best trailer i have seen for any dc universe show as well.

DC's Stargirl | Strength & Heroism | Season Trailer | The CW

The original green lantern and flash will be in show too
    I think this is going to be a really good show.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-19-2020 at 03:09 PM.

Well STRIPE looks better than I expected.

Not a show for me, from the look of it. I'm not the CW's target demo but it looks like solid production value. But I wish Stargirl all the luck in the world; Courtney is a great character and I have tons of love for the Starman mantle and legacy.

Now where's her damn book??
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Not a show for me, from the look of it. I'm not the CW's target demo but it looks like solid production value. But I wish Stargirl all the luck in the world; Courtney is a great character and I have tons of love for the Starman mantle and legacy.

I would think they'd be giving the JSA their own book if they weren't sticking them in WWII and with Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member

It's a really a dc universe show first like doom patrol etc..but since it's not rated R it be will on the cw later or could be shown on the cw.
    It's a DC Universe/The CW show but first airing on dc universe.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-20-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    It's a really a dc universe show first like doom patrol etc..but since it's not rated R it be will on the cw later or could be shown on the cw.
    It's a DC Universe/The CW show but first airing on dc universe.
    Right. But airing on the app first doesn't change the fact that this appears to be cut from the same cloth as the rest of the CW shows. And I'm not big on the CW. I'm glad the shows exist, and I hope they continue to be successful and create new fans, but they're not shows I'm terribly interested in watching.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd wager that the CW connection is a negative thing for the show, and WB would be smarter to co-air it on another station.

Are the JSA all children?
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 04-21-2020 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I'd wager that the CW connection is a negative thing for the show, and WB would be smarter to co-air it on another station.
    I mean not to talk quality of the arrowverse shows, since that is entirely subjective, but I think at this point the reverse is true and that it might be a good thing. I mean the Arrowverse shows have been doing well for themselves, have only grown in number, and have managed to get to big crossover levels that the movies could only dream to achieve at this point with things like Earth-X and Crisis on Infinite Earths. Currently there are 5 ongoing show, 1 finished (Arrow), 1 approved to start (Superman and Lois), and another still in planning (Green Arrow and Black Canaries), its not that difficult to see from a business standpoint it would be successful putting Stargirl to help its popularity.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Eh, I mean Stargirl seems well suited for the CW sensibilities. You can get all that idiot teen drama angst out of her and it won't be wildly misplaced like it is with Barry and Ollie. I think the CW is a fine station for her (insofar as the CW is a fine station for anything, it's not exactly quality entertainment) and her powers don't seem beyond their budget capabilities.

The show would be better, and be better received, if it were on HBO, but I don't think CW is completely out of sync with who Courtney is or the kind of stories she excels in. It's just a crappy network that aims at a very different target demo than what I belong to. But thematically and tonally, she does fit there.

~ Black Panther.

Eh, I mean Stargirl seems well suited for the CW sensibilities. You can get all that idiot teen drama angst out of her and it won't be wildly misplaced like it is with Barry and Ollie. I think the CW is a fine station for her (insofar as the CW is a fine station for anything, it's not exactly quality entertainment) and her powers don't seem beyond their budget capabilities.

The show would be better, and be better received, if it were on HBO, but I don't think CW is completely out of sync with who Courtney is or the kind of stories she excels in. It's just a crappy network that aims at a very different target demo than what I belong to. But thematically and tonally, she does fit there.
    Oh no, no- HBO would not be a good fit. The kinds of stories they seem interested in telling with STARGIRL would not justify the HBO treatment. Still, there's plenty of other quality venues! FX would be a wonderful fit. Luke Wilson is great, and a more idiosyncratic tone would work great for Courtney's adventures.

I'd probably reach a much more diverse audience, on FX too.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 04-21-2020 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean not to talk quality of the arrowverse shows, since that is entirely subjective, but I think at this point the reverse is true and that it might be a good thing. I mean the Arrowverse shows have been doing well for themselves, have only grown in number, and have managed to get to big crossover levels that the movies could only dream to achieve at this point with things like Earth-X and Crisis on Infinite Earths. Currently there are 5 ongoing show, 1 finished (Arrow), 1 approved to start (Superman and Lois), and another still in planning (Green Arrow and Black Canaries), its not that difficult to see from a business standpoint it would be successful putting Stargirl to help its popularity.
    I'd say all of that is a detriment at this point, but I was speaking more to just the nature of the CW. They're a cheap production, which is fine- not everything needs to be wonderful. STARGIRL warrants better, though.