Page 27 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: DC on HBO Max

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I love the app, too. I hope it sticks around past HBOMax, cause honestly it's worth it just for the comics alone.
    Oh yeah definitely worth it for the comics, this whole month that DC stopped publishing I’ve been reading and rereading so many comics that are on there. It’s how I read the current Hawkman ongoing up to issue 11, the post-Zero Hour Legion of Superheroes, the entire injustice series, the Geoff John’s JSA,Teen Titans, & adventure comics (the Superboy mini story with art by Francis Manapul).
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Oh yeah definitely worth it for the comics, this whole month that DC stopped publishing I’ve been reading and rereading so many comics that are on there. It’s how I read the current Hawkman ongoing up to issue 11, the post-Zero Hour Legion of Superheroes, the entire injustice series, the Geoff John’s JSA,Teen Titans, & adventure comics (the Superboy mini story with art by Francis Manapul).
    Oh man, the app has been a total godsend during this pandemic.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 04-22-2020 at 09:17 AM.

Maybe the "rumor" portion of the title should be edited at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    If you say so, but it definitely came across that way, least to me. Also I don't know about production value, nothing in the trailers so far looked more expensive than what I've seen special effects wise from the CW. I've seen more and better effects on some Flash commercials. Mostly it's some generic effects with the staff and that robot.
    The effects on STRIPE, the costumes, and even the glimpses of Grundy are stuff I don't think we'd see too often on an Arrowverse show.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The effects on STRIPE, the costumes, and even the glimpses of Grundy are stuff I don't think we'd see too often on an Arrowverse show.
    I mean there is King Shark and Gorilla Grodd which I think lines up pretty close to Stripes. Maybe even Lex Luthor power armor in Supergirl.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Retired

I think the Vancouver produced movies and TV shows are more likely to get back into production first, before the USA. Although, if Hollywood wants to go to Austria, that might be an even safer bet.

Our BC premier said that film and TV is one of the industries he'd like to see return to work soon--as it brings loads of money into the province and provides jobs for locals. We hope to see some opening up by the middle of May. But this will have to be done slowly, with a lot of safeguards. We've bent our curve, but rapid ramping of the economy could cause another spike in cases.

One thing that will be a hurdle for all the cast and crew coming from outside of Canada will be the requirement to quarantine for two weeks before they can start work. This is already a requirement for temporary foreign workers (for things like farming). And I don't expect to see that rule change for a very long time. So line producers will have to consider those two weeks sheltering in place when working out the scheduling for productions.

Another thing added to that is you can't just fly from one country to the next at the drop of a hat. You can't work for a couple of weeks in Canada then fly back to your Hollywood home and then back to work the next week. Actors will also have to do a lot of video chats when promoting movies and TV shows.

I wonder how many actors will just say screw it, if it's too much trouble for them. Especially those that already have an established fortune and would just as soon stay in their secure mansions.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean there is King Shark and Gorilla Grodd which I think lines up pretty close to Stripes. Maybe even Lex Luthor power armor in Supergirl.
    Oh, those feats of CG are pretty good, I just think the texturing/rendering for STRIPE is close to movie quality.

CBR has an article about how they shouldn't use Matt Ryan for Constantine and I am in agreement. This should be a different Constantine who never joined the Legends. It made me think that maybe Robert Sheehan (4 from "Umbrella Academy" would be good - just dye his hair and Bob's your uncle!)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Man, really? I was thinking about subbing to DC Universe and now because of HBO MAX, they're going to get rid of the online comics? I hope they don't

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    CBR has an article about how they shouldn't use Matt Ryan for Constantine and I am in agreement. This should be a different Constantine who never joined the Legends. It made me think that maybe Robert Sheehan (4 from "Umbrella Academy" would be good - just dye his hair and Bob's your uncle!)
    Honestly I'd love it if they used Ryan. I think he deserves some proper dark Constantine material after City of Demons.

I'm bummed he never got to meet Swamp Thing.

Martian Manhunter, King Shark, Gorilla Grodd...

Oh, those feats of CG are pretty good, I just think the texturing/rendering for STRIPE is close to movie quality.
    Really? Movie quality? I just don't see it as being that good in the trailers.

Retired

Well do you want quantity or quality? I like the CW because I get a lot of comic books on TV in a year. If you want these "perfect" graphics, then it's going to cost a lot of money and take a lot of time. Given I grew up in the 1960s and 1970s, I'm used to cheap costumes and effects--Kirk's battle with the Gorn had me on the edge of my seat, I could totally suspend my disbelief and be in the moment.

I'm not sure it's even that much quality that you get for all the extras bucks and hours of production. With movies, when the budget is so high, they put everything into these big production scenes and there's a lot less character development, with the plots often being very predictable. It's a lot harder for subtle comic book movies to get made, unless they are low budget.

I guess the mid-ground of that is these ten or so episode seasons on DC Universe and HBO--where there's enough budget for big effects shots but there's also good story development.

Nevertheless, I'm never going to grumble about the CW. I know how good I've got it.

^^ What he said. I enjoyed the heck out of Dr Who as a kid and the effects were crap, the costumes were slapped together with random garbage, etc. but it was really fun and it boils down to stories and characters. I can forgive the rest.

Martian Manhunter, King Shark, Gorilla Grodd...
    I specified "often." King Shark and Grodd are usually one-season wonders and they try to avoid showing J'onn's martian form if they can help it.
    Really? Movie quality? I just don't see it as being that good in the trailers.
    Really? It definitely seems more cinematic in terms of direction and effects to me. Especially the brief shots we get of the JSA's last stand.