Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: DC on HBO Max

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    They haven't decided about TITANS? That show is the best thing they've done in ages! A Hawk and Dove spin off would be rad.
    Season 2 has been fantastic. My guess it's likely an expensive show (and will continue to get more expensive)

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know a lot of people haven't lived the Supergirl fight down, but if he were to get his own show I imagine the impetus would be to once again present Superman as the greatest hero since he would not be their as a supporting player to Supergirl.

At least that's my take on it.
    I'm sure they'd treat Clark differently in his own show than they did as a guest star in Supergirl's. And I don't watch the CW shows and have only seen one or two small clips of their Superman so I don't really have a bone with any particulars, like him losing a fight to Kara (apparently).

But the CW is the last network I want handling the character. They lack the budget to do Clark justice, for one. For another, the CW relies on cheap melodrama and relationship bullsh*t and those are two things that do not well serve Superman or his supporting cast. That's just the CW's target demo and I don't begrudge them that, but the last thing the character needs is more "Oh, I'm so torn between my two lives! Do I pick Lois and happiness or Superman and loneliness?" crap. You really want to make sure no one ever sees what makes Superman so great? Put him in cheap soap operas where he doesn't get to act like a fully functioning and reasonable adult, much less the gods damn Superman.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I didn't see anything other than Clark being humble. Of course he'd say she beat him fair and square - he's Superman. He might even believe it, doesn't necessarily make it true.
    It's much more than that. In the Season 2 finale Clark told Kara he could never be as brave and selfless as she was. He could never sacrifice Lois like Kara sacrificed Mon-El to save the world. He was basically in awe of her... Sorry but my Superman does what it takes no matter his personal loss. He is the greatest hero.

This Superman.. sounds pathetic to me. He's too weak. Plus the writers always make him tell her just how much better and amazing she is than him.. I'm so sick of it! I don't respect this Superman version, and I have less than zero interest in a show about him. I wish I could, but I don't. The CW just don't get it, they are more busy with their feminists agendas than doing the characters right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But the CW is the last network I want handling the character. They lack the budget to do Clark justice, for one. For another, the CW relies on cheap melodrama and relationship bullsh*t and those are two things that do not well serve Superman or his supporting cast. That's just the CW's target demo and I don't begrudge them that, but the last thing the character needs is more "Oh, I'm so torn between my two lives! Do I pick Lois and happiness or Superman and loneliness?" crap. You really want to make sure no one ever sees what makes Superman so great? Put him in cheap soap operas where he doesn't get to act like a fully functioning and reasonable adult, much less the gods damn Superman.
    I mean, they have enough budget for Kara so I don't think Clark would be a stretch with the same powerset unless you're expecting him to pull off feature-length film feats practically every episode.

The classic Superman set-up with Lois is fairly soap operatic unless you play it purely for comedy, but I don't think it would detract from Superman any more then it has in other adaptions. If he was still effective as Superman I don't think the relationship drama would bother people.

Besides, Hoechlin's Superman is currently married to Lois so they've already skipped that step .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, they have enough budget for Kara so I don't think Clark would be a stretch with the same powerset unless you're expecting him to pull off feature-length film feats practically every episode.
    From what little I've seen.....not good enough. It's not just Clark, it's his rogues, the settings, etc. Like I said, I don't watch the CW shows anymore. I dropped them with Flash season 3 (or somewhere around there) so maybe it's better now, but from what I've seen? While Flash did manage to make the likes of Grodd and King Shark look decent, we also only got them for a couple shots per season. A budget like that isn't going to be able to pull off Mongul or Parasite (or any number of villains) and really be able to sell it. Same goes for the Fortress and any alien worlds Clark may visit.

The classic Superman set-up with Lois is fairly soap operatic unless you play it purely for comedy, but I don't think it would detract from Superman any more then it has in other adaptions. If he was still effective as Superman I don't think the relationship drama would bother people.
    There's a difference between drama and soap opera. Drama is fine. I *want* drama. Clark lives a tough life, and so does Lois. Soap opera however, is nothing I have any interest in. That's cheap, surface level sh*t created for shallow emotional conflict and is usually at odds with how level-headed and responsible the characters are supposed to be. And while the comics definitely delve into cheap soap opera (practically all of the 00's) that's not a good look for people who're supposed to be the best of us. I don't want Lois accusing Clark of cheating on her, like with Cir-El (who was old enough she'd have been born before Clark and Lois were even dating). I don't want Lois abandoning Clark, watching him almost die on tv, then staying away so Lana has to take care of him, only for Lois to eventually return and accuse a still badly wounded Clark of cheating on her. Does anyone? Because I don't see how that makes Lois look good, nor do I see how it makes Clark look like anything more than a smuck taking abuse from a wife he's too weak to stand up to. I dont want Superman to look like a sitcom like King of Queens, and CW soap opera isn't likely to give us anything else.

Besides, Hoechlin's Superman is currently married to Lois so they've already skipped that step .
    If you think that would stop the CW you have more faith in them than I do.

Bottom line; the CW shows just aren't my cup of tea. I'm not their target demo, and that's cool, I don't have to be. But I'm not interested in seeing them turn Clark into a whiny man child like they did with Barry.
    Last edited by Ascended; 10-25-2019 at 06:47 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Yup. As soon as Clark says he doesn't think he could let Lois die to save the world, I'm done. That's not Superman.

Saying that he's in awe of Kara? That she's stronger than him (and I assume he means emotionally/mentally)? Sure, those are Superman-like things to say. He's a humble dude. But he's not a selfish one. I mean, for all the flaws in Superman Returns, even *that* Superman left Lois to struggle on her own so he could save Metropolis and stop Lex. He made the right call, even though it came at a personal cost (or he thought it would). This guy? Saying he couldn't stiffen his upper lip and act like an adult with responsibilities? That he'd let the world burn so he could save his girl (which I assume is the subtext here)? No. I got no interest in watching that.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    From what little I've seen.....not good enough. It's not just Clark, it's his rogues, the settings, etc. Like I said, I don't watch the CW shows anymore. I dropped them with Flash season 3 (or somewhere around there) so maybe it's better now, but from what I've seen? While Flash did manage to make the likes of Grodd and King Shark look decent, we also only got them for a couple shots per season. A budget like that isn't going to be able to pull off Mongul or Parasite (or any number of villains) and really be able to sell it. Same goes for the Fortress and any alien worlds Clark may visit.
    Their take on the Fortress was pretty solid in my opinion. I also liked their CG take on Parasite.

Metallo and Livewire visually may not have looked amazing but they captured the characters well in my opinion. Same with Mxyzptlk and he was probably one of the more dramatic re-imaginings.

Can't forget about Jon Cryer as Lex Luthor .
    There's a difference between drama and soap opera. Drama is fine. I *want* drama. Clark lives a tough life, and so does Lois. Soap opera however, is nothing I have any interest in. That's cheap, surface level sh*t created for shallow emotional conflict and is usually at odds with how level-headed and responsible the characters are supposed to be. And while the comics definitely delve into cheap soap opera (practically all of the 00's) that's not a good look for people who're supposed to be the best of us. I don't want Lois accusing Clark of cheating on her, like with Cir-El (who was old enough she'd have been born before Clark and Lois were even dating). I don't want Lois abandoning Clark, watching him almost die on tv, then staying away so Lana has to take care of him, only for Lois to eventually return and accuse a still badly wounded Clark of cheating on her. Does anyone? Because I don't see how that makes Lois look good, nor do I see how it makes Clark look like anything more than a smuck taking abuse from a wife he's too weak to stand up to. I dont want Superman to look like a sitcom like King of Queens, and CW soap opera isn't likely to give us anything else.
    To be honest I don't expect even that Chuck Austen level of soap opera to come out of a CW Superman show. I mean, maybe they would draw out some cheesy, contrived, drama but I think everyone has different levels of toleration for that kind of stuff...like, I think it's a fine line between what's "drama" and what's a "soap opera."
    If you think that would stop the CW you have more faith in them than I do.

Bottom line; the CW shows just aren't my cup of tea. I'm not their target demo, and that's cool, I don't have to be. But I'm not interested in seeing them turn Clark into a whiny man child like they did with Barry.
    I mean, they've handled Barry and Iris pretty well post-marriage (I mean, people hate Iris, but that has nothing to do with how she and Barry act towards each other).

Spectacular Member

Superman would let Lois die to save the world? No, the Superman I know would always find a way. One of the things that makes Superman great is the refusal to compromise. So regardless of being "in awe" of Kara, Superman not being able to sacrifice Lois is not a dealbreaker.

I don't get it, so what was the point of DC Universe if the're going to go through with putting more shows on CW and HBO Max.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I don't get it, so what was the point of DC Universe if the're going to go through with putting more shows on CW and HBO Max.
    I believe this is a ATT initiative. If not well plans change. DCU is still a good place for cartoons and comics if the live action stuff leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I believe this is a ATT initiative. If not well plans change. DCU is still a good place for cartoons and comics if the live action stuff leaves.
    If true, they need to push more animated content.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    It's much more than that. In the Season 2 finale Clark told Kara he could never be as brave and selfless as she was. He could never sacrifice Lois like Kara sacrificed Mon-El to save the world. He was basically in awe of her... Sorry but my Superman does what it takes no matter his personal loss. He is the greatest hero.

This Superman.. sounds pathetic to me. He's too weak. Plus the writers always make him tell her just how much better and amazing she is than him.. I'm so sick of it! I don't respect this Superman version, and I have less than zero interest in a show about him. I wish I could, but I don't. The CW just don't get it, they are more busy with their feminists agendas than doing the characters right.

Firstly, I wouldn't call it a "feminist agenda" just because they want to make the hero their show (it is called "Supergirl") look good. And second, they had Superman say it... he's proud of his cousin. If it really came down to it, he'd save both Lois and the world, we know that. But when he's just talking to his cousin, of course he'd praise her for making the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I could honestly see DC Universe sticking around as DC's "DC Unlimited," although maybe not just comics but still having all the old cartoons, tv shows, and such.

This is honestly a lackluster list of future projects, the only things catching my attention is Blue Beetle, Red Hood, Question, and maybe Green Lantern but whether I invest my time at all depends on the the cast and story.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Firstly, I wouldn't call it a "feminist agenda" just because they want to make the hero their show (it is called "Supergirl") look good. And second, they had Superman say it... he's proud of his cousin. If it really came down to it, he'd save both Lois and the world, we know that. But when he's just talking to his cousin, of course he'd praise her for making the right choice.
    He didn't just say he was very proud of her. That I have no problem with, but he said he could never be as brave and strong as she is. That's not Superman to me. He always does what's necessary to save others even at a personal cost.