Page 59 of 71 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

Thread: DC on HBO Max

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think anyone saw this coming.

I'm really not sure how I feel about this...I mean, I like the HQ version of Kite-Man, a villain bar sounds like a fun premise that can have an eclectic rotating cast, but...do we really need a cartoon of this? I'm just not sure if there's the audience for this outside HQ fans.

And I'm sure some people will look at them putting resources into this and asking why WB still hasn't released a Wonder Woman cartoon or anything that isn't Bat or Gotham-inspired.
    I mean, considering the HQ show has enough fans HBO Max feels comfortable enough to want a spin off series, kind of suggests that they don't need an audience for this outside of the HQ fans - if they manage to keep those same fans for the spin off then it's kind of an auto-success really. Just keeping the HQ show fans on and streaming this is probably enough to justify this show's existence, least to the corporate bean counters.

So I'm annoyed. Checked the DC catalog and there is nothing on Justice League Action. How is it not on hbo max?

THey have for the love of everything Steel on it.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I mean, considering the HQ show has enough fans HBO Max feels comfortable enough to want a spin off series, kind of suggests that they don't need an audience for this outside of the HQ fans - if they manage to keep those same fans for the spin off then it's kind of an auto-success really. Just keeping the HQ show fans on and streaming this is probably enough to justify this show's existence, least to the corporate bean counters.
    I understand the HQ cartoon is popular but I'm not sure if that really warrants this kind of show. I mean, maybe it can retain just that same subset of fandoms and people but I feel like it might be more of a difficult sell than her cartoon.

Honestly this feels more fitting for like a series of shorts than a full on series.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    So I'm annoyed. Checked the DC catalog and there is nothing on Justice League Action. How is it not on hbo max?

THey have for the love of everything Steel on it.
    It's weird how it's on Hulu but not on an actual WB streaming service.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JimmySpectre View Post
    Harley Quinn : Kite Man Spinoff "Noonan's" Reportedly In Development for HBO Max

https://www.slashfilm.com/798021/har...-hbo-max-sxsw/
    Hell Yeah?

That's certainly... a choice. And I say this as someone who enojoyed the HQ show a lot.

I understand the HQ cartoon is popular but I'm not sure if that really warrants this kind of show. I mean, maybe it can retain just that same subset of fandoms and people but I feel like it might be more of a difficult sell than her cartoon.

Honestly this feels more fitting for like a series of shorts than a full on series.
    Why? What more does anyone need to "warrant" a show beyond popularity and a good pitch? Some arbitrary ranking of characters by us comic book nerds?

Why? What more does anyone need to "warrant" a show beyond popularity and a good pitch? Some arbitrary ranking of characters by us comic book nerds?
    I guess long-term viability and whether what you have is enough to come up with a proper series.

Honestly fans of the trinity have the tendency to dilate the DCU down to those particular franchises when the universe is much bigger than those 3 characters. The more pitches like this get greenlit the less people will be prone to arbitrarily label a character down to where they fall in the trinity spectrum

Multimedia projects shouldn't have the priority of Batman, Superman, Woman Woman, and then the rest of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Honestly fans of the trinity have the tendency to dilate the DCU down to those particular franchises when the universe is much bigger than those 3 characters. The more pitches like this get greenlit the less people will be prone to arbitrarily label a character down to where they fall in the trinity spectrum

Multimedia projects shouldn't have the priority of Batman, Superman, Woman Woman, and then the rest of the universe
    I think it's more that people just feel like WB should do better about promoting and spotlighting their major franchises in general...or at least treat certain characters, like Wonder Woman and Superman, as more of a priority and not occasional guest stars in Batman's world.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

It's more like Multimedia projects shouldn't have the priority of Batman, Superman, and then the rest of the universe.

We definitely cant put WW in the same zone as Superman and Batman. She's had 0 WW animated series. She's had 1 television show in the 70s. She's had her first movie after 75 years of being around (that was just 5 years ago). Harley Quinn has been around since the 90s and she's already got an animated series and movie. WW is the premiere DC superheroine but she certainly hasnt been treated like it.

I liked the Kid Eternity backup in Urban Legends. I didn't realize he had a Vertigo series back in the 90s. I'd down for Kid Eternity getting a tv series based off both sets of stories.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-16-2022 at 10:31 AM.

I guess long-term viability and whether what you have is enough to come up with a proper series.
    They don't really need long-term viability, if it's good then just 2 or 3 seasons is fine. You just need great content to keep people watching, you don't need shows that last 5-10 seasons anymore.

Arguably Harley Quinn is the fourth pillar next to the trinity and Kite-Man falls under her umbrella cause of the show. Never mind both are Batman villains...

I think it's more that people just feel like WB should do better about promoting and spotlighting their major franchises in general...or at least treat certain characters, like Wonder Woman and Superman, as more of a priority and not occasional guest stars in Batman's world.
    It's the same thing as usual from certain types of fans. Wonder Woman being a guest star or arm candy for Batman and Superman is laudable but asking for some meat to backup being used as DC's feminism PR strategy is suddenly being selfish.

They don't really need long-term viability, if it's good then just 2 or 3 seasons is fine. You just need great content to keep people watching, you don't need shows that last 5-10 seasons anymore.
    I feel like 2-3 seasons might even be a stretch here...

Kite Man was a likable character in that show so a spinoff for him works especially with the characterization already defined. If it's a good pitch, then make the show. Luckily outside media like cartoons aren't comics. Any character with a good pitch can have a hit show like Peacemaker and you don't need to worry about comic book sales.

It's frustrating that people say comic media shouldn't exist if they aren't big names. There's no reason a show like Kite Man can't be a big success like Peacemaker other than people wanting their own character to get a chance.

A Kite Man cartoon doesn't take away from a different show. It's a spinoff of a very good Harley Quinn cartoon. It's not like the creators of that show were pitching a Wonder Woman show and WB chose Kite Man over it. If you launch well received properties, they should get spinoffs. That is very normal and comic sales should be irrelevant. Especially in 2022 when comic sales are in the dump. More people will probably watch Kite Man episode 1 than people will read the next Batman issue.
    Last edited by The Kid; 03-17-2022 at 07:40 AM.