Page 20 of 71 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Thread: DC on HBO Max

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I really don't get the hate for TITANS, I've found it to be a blast.

How long do you think DC Universe, in its current state, will last?

The writing is on the wall that DCU is a failure, and it's best illustrated with their original shows:
    1. Doom Patrol only got renewed in a split deal with HBO Max.
    2. Swamp Thing got cancelled because the taxes were too high for projected profits.
    3. Harley Quinn episodes are being released on YouTube after their DCU debut.
    4. Stargirl will now air on The CW a day after DCU.

Furthermore, DC Universe is actually worse at being a DC hub than what HBO Max is shaping up to be. Figure that one. HBO Max will have DCEU, Arrowverse, Watchmen, Joker, probably Pennyworth, likely all the shows DCU already has, AND will have exclusive shows that DCU doesn't have starting with Green Lantern and Strange Adventures.

I've seen discussion of this elsewhere, a popular opinion even among DC fans is that DC Universe is basically just a money sink that's not worth investing in at this point. The popular idea is to simply fold DCU into Max. In fact, many are very meh of DCU. When your service made for die hard fans gets lukewarm reception by said die hard fans, there's a problem.

Another flaw with DC Universe is the sheer lack of original content. Even forgiving the points made above, don't forget that DCU can only keep one show going at a time, and only six were announced for it to last a year. It took another year just to get the announcement of one new show (BizarroTV). That's pathetic, and it's also bad for your customers.

I mean, HBO Max hasn't even come out yet, and the number of originals announced just blows DCU out of the water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_by_HBO_Max

Many have already cancelled, or are preparing to cancel, for when Max launches. I bet when it officially launches, DC Universe is going to see a mass exodus of their already small subscriber number, who decided to move the much better service. I feel like the clock will really be ticking after the HBO Max launch. Give it a year, two tops, and it's unlikely to remain its own platform. All the shows, including Titans and Young Justice, will probably make the full migration to being Max Originals.

I'm saying this as someone who used to have DC Universe. It just wasn't worth the money. I'm very excited for HBO Max, and when that comes out it'll make DC Universe look like an even worse value than it already is.

Thoughts?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I really don't get the hate for TITANS, I've found it to be a blast.
    Characters are very unlikable, especially Dick. I still don't get why he is at odds with Bruce. Also the story is boring and the pace is too slow.

The writing is on the wall that DCU is a failure, and it's best illustrated with their original shows
    DC Universe streaming network isnt a failure, Young Justice, Titans, Doom Patrol...have received either critical praise or a strong following of fans. DC Universe just came at the wrong time, with AT&T/Warner plotting an all inclusive content Streaming service HBO Max, to compete with the likes of Netflix ,Disney+, so there is not much logic to keep two streaming services running when they could have everything in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    How long do you think DC Universe, in its current state, will last?

The writing is on the wall that DCU is a failure, and it's best illustrated with their original shows:
    1. Doom Patrol only got renewed in a split deal with HBO Max.
    2. Swamp Thing got cancelled because the taxes were too high for projected profits.
    3. Harley Quinn episodes are being released on YouTube after their DCU debut.
    4. Stargirl will now air on The CW a day after DCU.

Furthermore, DC Universe is actually worse at being a DC hub than what HBO Max is shaping up to be. Figure that one. HBO Max will have DCEU, Arrowverse, Watchmen, Joker, probably Pennyworth, likely all the shows DCU already has, AND will have exclusive shows that DCU doesn't have starting with Green Lantern and Strange Adventures.

I've seen discussion of this elsewhere, a popular opinion even among DC fans is that DC Universe is basically just a money sink that's not worth investing in at this point. The popular idea is to simply fold DCU into Max. In fact, many are very meh of DCU. When your service made for die hard fans gets lukewarm reception by said die hard fans, there's a problem.

Another flaw with DC Universe is the sheer lack of original content. Even forgiving the points made above, don't forget that DCU can only keep one show going at a time, and only six were announced for it to last a year. It took another year just to get the announcement of one new show (BizarroTV). That's pathetic, and it's also bad for your customers.

I mean, HBO Max hasn't even come out yet, and the number of originals announced just blows DCU out of the water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_by_HBO_Max

Many have already cancelled, or are preparing to cancel, for when Max launches. I bet when it officially launches, DC Universe is going to see a mass exodus of their already small subscriber number, who decided to move the much better service. I feel like the clock will really be ticking after the HBO Max launch. Give it a year, two tops, and it's unlikely to remain its own platform. All the shows, including Titans and Young Justice, will probably make the full migration to being Max Originals.

I'm saying this as someone who used to have DC Universe. It just wasn't worth the money. I'm very excited for HBO Max, and when that comes out it'll make DC Universe look like an even worse value than it already is.

Thoughts?
    Exactly. Very well said. I know for me personally, DCU offers so little original content and seems so likely to be folded into HBO Max, that I'm just holding off and waiting for HBO Max. There are plenty of people who are doing the same now with all the signs pointing to HBO Max being better than and/or replacing DCU for DC content. HBO Max is definitely going to be the nail in the coffin for DCU.

https://www.slashfilm.com/wonder-woman-spin-off/

So apparently they're developing an Amazons of Themyscira spin-off from Wonder Woman. Patty herself didn't say if it was a movie or a show, though people reporting assume the former. She won't direct and instead produce. Honestly, this seems like HBO Max material rather than something to be released in the theaters, similar to The Trench.

How would you feel about this?

Incredible Member

https://www.slashfilm.com/wonder-woman-spin-off/

So apparently they're developing an Amazons of Themyscira spin-off from Wonder Woman. Patty herself didn't say if it was a movie or a show, though people reporting assume the former. She won't direct and instead produce. Honestly, this seems like HBO Max material rather than something to be released in the theaters, similar to The Trench.

How would you feel about this?
    I don't think we really need that many spin-off shows when we haven't built the main heroes well or put enough of their good stories on screen. I have little interest in Krypton, Pennyworth, or the Trench. I have no interest in Amazons without Diana either.

Extraordinary Member

The trench and amazons could be dc movies or limited series for hbo max.

(snip)

Thoughts?
    I think DC Universe as it was when it launched was a failure.
    Because it was an obvious cash grab, jumping on the streaming bandwagon while giving the failed pilots and cancelled shows a place to go to.
    Their biggest mistake was not thinking about how their pre-established contracts with HBO and CW (who also had their own contract with Netflix) would effect the health of the app.
    Especially when you consider that to the average person, the DC Universe is either the Arrowverse or the DCEU*. Both of which were blocked from being on DCUniverse due to the already in effect contracts with other services.
    (*Although I know people that were confused about why Batman wasn't on Disney+. 'But he's a super-hero, isn't he?')

However...
    What DCUniverse has turned into, as they took those lemons and made lemonade with it, is not a failure by any means.
    Since picking themselves up and shifting gears, they've turned things around.
    All because they now host every DCU comic that's available on Comixology. For less than the price of Marvel Unlimited (which doesn't carry all the comics available on Comixology, at least not the last time I checked).
    And they can be viewed on your television. In panel view. In high quality.

So, yes.
    DCUniverse was a failure.
    But it's not anymore.

The shows need to go to HBO Max, though, and leave DCUniverse to just comics and DC Daily (as I don't see that interesting anyone on HBO).
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I think DC Universe as it was when it launched was a failure.
    Because it was an obvious cash grab, jumping on the streaming bandwagon while giving the failed pilots and cancelled shows a place to go to.
    Their biggest mistake was not thinking about how their pre-established contracts with HBO and CW (who also had their own contract with Netflix) would effect the health of the app.
    Especially when you consider that to the average person, the DC Universe is either the Arrowverse or the DCEU*. Both of which were blocked from being on DCUniverse due to the already in effect contracts with other services.
    (*Although I know people that were confused about why Batman wasn't on Disney+. 'But he's a super-hero, isn't he?')

However...
    What DCUniverse has turned into, as they took those lemons and made lemonade with it, is not a failure by any means.
    Since picking themselves up and shifting gears, they've turned things around.
    All because they now host every DCU comic that's available on Comixology. For less than the price of Marvel Unlimited (which doesn't carry all the comics available on Comixology, at least not the last time I checked).
    And they can be viewed on your television. In panel view. In high quality.

So, yes.
    But it's not anymore.

The shows need to go to HBO Max, though, and leave DCUniverse to just comics and DC Daily (as I don't see that interesting anyone on HBO).
    It's still a failure IMO. When most people think "streaming" and sign up for a STREAMING app or service, the content they have in mind is first and foremost---if not solely---TV shows and movies, not comics. I'm not saying this to come off as being combative towards you, but you admit yourself that DCU has failed miserably at the TV show and movie content, and since that's the main reason that most people signed up for it, it's no surprise that people are dropping it or not even signing up for it and just waiting for HBO Max to launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Do really people still buy DVDs and Blue-Ray disks these days?
    Depends on the movie or TV show. I know for me, once I bought a streaming stick, I found out that about half of my movie/TV show collection that I have on physical disks, I can now get rid of, because it is readily available though streaming. But not every movie I own on disk can be found through the streaming apps I use, though. So depending on what the movie or show is or even how obscure it is, I do think people still buy DVDs and blu-rays to some extent, just not nearly as much as they used to back before streaming became a thing.

With the latest news of the Green lantern upcoming show being about 2 lanterns, I saw some people saying it will be Jessica and Baz.

Well if they wanna fail, I dont think those 2 characters are popular enough to lead a show of this magnitude, they are still too new and unknown
    The way I see it, the duo has got be:

Hal Jordan/John Stewart
    Hal Jordan/Kyle Ryner
    John Stewart/Kyle Rayner

Also there are rumors of Blue Beetle movies, I hope its true.

Not sure about Simon, but I can easily see Jessica being one of the two GLs, especially if Hal and John are rumored to be off-limits due to the DCEU.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-24-2020 at 05:17 AM.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    So, yes.
    But it's not anymore.
    The way you describe it, it's almost like the plot for THE PRODUCERS. Maybe they wanted to use DC Universe as a dumping ground for failed productions to go and die, but someone didn't get the memo and made quality programming instead. And that success is actually a failure, because the service was never built to make a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
    With the latest news of the Green lantern upcoming show being about 2 lanterns, I saw some people saying it will be Jessica and Baz.

Well if they wanna fail, I dont think those 2 characters are popular enough to lead a show of this magnitude, they are still too new and unknown
    The way I see it, the duo has got be:

Hal Jordan/John Stewart
    Hal Jordan/Kyle Ryner
    John Stewart/Kyle Rayner

Also there are rumors of Blue Beetle movies, I hope its true.
    Hal and John for the movie, Jessica and Kyle for HBO Max! That combination works and honestly Jessica is definitely popular enough to support a show. She has more outside media appearances than the other Lanterns minus Hal and John.

As for Blue Beetle, I can’t wait to see that scarab in live action!!! Gonna look sick!!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!