Page 19 of 71 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Thread: DC on HBO Max

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

No way in hell they'll tie the GL show to the CW shows, if they intend to drop that much money on it. That would be suicide.

Stargirl is also it's own thing, connecting with Titans and Doom Patrol (if anything).

Retired

What I heard was Guggenheim believed he had the go-ahead to make announcements about Stargirl, Green Lantern and Booster Gold, which is why he dropped that news to Wired, but then he heard from the big brass that they wanted to make the announcement in January, so he had to walk it back.

I understood that Stargirl was supposed to exist in the same multiverse/universe of the Arrowverse and that's why she's going to appear in Crisis. If she can be connected (and others like Doom Patrol and Titans) then I don't see the harm in Green Lantern or Booster Gold having the same connections. It just makes it simpler to say they all are connected in some fashion--especially if it's all coming from the same production company.

Sure, you're not going to see a Green Lantern showing up on one of the other CW shows--because of the budget for such effects--but they've been dropping hints for years on FLASH and ARROW that some version of Hal Jordan and the GLC may exist. It's easy enough to refer to the Green Lanterns, without ever showing them, especially because most of their adventures are in outer space away from Earth. But I am holding out hope for some John Diggle Green Lantern action in the Crisis.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you hear that from. I hope GL is not connected in any way to the Arrowverse. Let it have a clean slate, there's no need to be dependent in any way on that universe/multiverse's continuity, especially when it's not even going to be on the same network. Otherwise it would be seen as just another Arrowverse spin-off.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-08-2019 at 04:04 PM.

What I heard was Guggenheim believed he had the go-ahead to make announcements about Stargirl, Green Lantern and Booster Gold, which is why he dropped that news to Wired, but then he heard from the big brass that they wanted to make the announcement in January, so he had to walk it back

I was hoping and still hoping this news will be fake, I dont like DC Universe or HBO Max shows being connected to CW, their shows are on a downspiral lately, not a good decision to associate new shows with. DC Universe shows has been upped the standard, so I expect HBO Max shows will be even better.
    Last edited by HunterX; 12-10-2019 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterX View Post

I was hoping and still hoping this news will be fake, I dont like DC Universe or HBO Max shows being connected to CW, their shows are on a downspiral lately, not a good decision to associate new shows with. DC Universe shows has been upped the standard, so I expect HBO Max shows will be even better.
    I've been looking forward to STARGIRL on DCU, but with the CW getting involved I'm worried it's going to be a cheap CW production. I really don't get why WB wants to tie everything to some extremely low budget network soaps.

TITANS has been great. DOOM PATROL. SWAMP THING. They do seem to have faith in DOOM PATROL and are letting it be quality and move to HBO.

All I want to know is, if the DC Universe app will be folded into the HBO Max app?

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I've been looking forward to STARGIRL on DCU, but with the CW getting involved I'm worried it's going to be a cheap CW production. I really don't get why WB wants to tie everything to some extremely low budget network soaps.

TITANS has been great. DOOM PATROL. SWAMP THING. They do seem to have faith in DOOM PATROL and are letting it be quality and move to HBO.
    The effects in the trailer looked good.

Maybe because the Arrowverse is popular? Relatively speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The effects in the trailer looked good.

That's speaking SUPER relatively, though. Like, major major relatively considering the size of the audience out there for this kind of stuff.

The CW is a very small market.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    That's speaking SUPER relatively, though. Like, major major relatively considering the size of the audience out there for this kind of stuff.

The CW is a very small market.
    I think it's significant enough for it's niche. At least enough to where it's had some impact on the comics.

Keep in mind that the Arrowverse is huge on Netflix. In fact, all the CW stuff is like Riverdale. I wouldn't be surprised if they view their streaming numbers as the true measure and their channel numbers as being a bonus.

For HBO Max, they wasted no time in assuring that all future CW stuff is coming there because of it. I'm guessing all the Arrowverse and Riverdale will come later too, after the expiration dates pass.

Well, the first Season of Stargirl is a DC Universe production, CW is only broadcasting it. By the looks of the trailer its looks HQ. It should be a good watch. What will happen with Season 2 however is uncertain, Stargirl could very well be handed over to CW where it will be given a low budget and become cheap looking like the Arrowverse shows. Lets hope thats not the plan.

Key word is Was. Sure they still got an enthusiastic following but they has been a lot of negativity about them in recent years. They are just not as beloved and popular as they used to be, their viewership ratings are a lot down also. The Crisis storyline is the only good thing going for them right now. But it wont last forever. DC Universe have upped the standard at least in production values, so it makes these CW shows not look so attractive. CW absolutely needs to up their quality, or this universe will die soon.
    Last edited by HunterX; 12-12-2019 at 11:35 PM.

Keep in mind that the Arrowverse is huge on Netflix. In fact, all the CW stuff is like Riverdale. I wouldn't be surprised if they view their streaming numbers as the true measure and their channel numbers as being a bonus.
    How huge is the question? they likely arent as huge as native streaming shows like Titans, Doom Patrol, Stranger things. If these CW Arrowverse shows were making a killing they wouldnt have their budgets getting cut every season and looking so cheap.Whatever money they are making from various income, it isnt enough, otherwise they would be making better quality shows. With Netflix deal being ended, its a whole new world. Their mediocrity cant last forever, these CW shows are gonna have to justify why HBO Max should take and keep them, or its game over.
    Last edited by HunterX; 12-12-2019 at 11:31 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I just found out that another dc show will be coming to hbo max.
    New Gods' Ava DuVernay Adapting Brian Wood's DMZ - CBR
    https://www.cbr.com/new-gods-ava-duv...rian-wood-dmz/

How huge is the question? they likely arent as huge as native streaming shows like Titans, Doom Patrol, Stranger things. If these CW Arrowverse shows were making a killing they wouldnt have their budgets getting cut every season and looking so cheap.Whatever money they are making from various income, it isnt enough, otherwise they would be making better quality shows. With Netflix deal being ended, its a whole new world. Their mediocrity cant last forever, these CW shows are gonna have to justify why HBO Max should take and keep them, or its game over.
    I just know they're staples of the platform and that's probably why they're getting renewed. Outside the Arrowverse, I know Riverdale is especially popular on Netflix (https://deadline.com/2019/05/riverda...ed-1202620475/). I remember at the HBO Max conference they commented on it by saying something like "CW shows have always been big hits with teen audiences, and now HBO Max will be the only place to view them going forward". CW, like all the other Warner channels at this point, is more of a content farm now in support of the big service. For example, Gossip Girl was one of the shows that made CW big, and the sequel series will be a Max exclusive.

Personally, I'm just glad CW won't be the only source of live-action DC shows. It'll likely stay on thanks to demographic popularity, but we're getting serious shows made for streaming itself. Doom Patrol, for reasons of content, could not be made on the CW. Likewise, I don't think the upcoming Green Lantern and Strange Adventures series would be viable as CW shows either, as they'll likely be heavy on effects and may even involve multiple distant locations.

Well, the first Season of Stargirl is a DC Universe production, CW is only broadcasting it. By the looks of the trailer its looks HQ. It should be a good watch. What will happen with Season 2 however is uncertain, Stargirl could very well be handed over to CW where it will be given a low budget and become cheap looking like the Arrowverse shows. Lets hope thats not the plan.

Key word is Was. Sure they still got an enthusiastic following but they has been a lot of negativity about them in recent years. They are just not as beloved and popular as they used to be, their viewership ratings are a lot down also. The Crisis storyline is the only good thing going for them right now. But it wont last forever. DC Universe have upped the standard at least in production values, so it makes these CW shows not look so attractive. CW absolutely needs to up their quality, or this universe will die soon.
    eh, honestly I'm totally expecting the arrowverse to outlast the dc streaming service. I would be surprised if it doesn't. Sadly it has proven time and again that quality does not equal sustainablity. Look at poor Swamp thing. Look at Stargirl joining the CW. The writing is on the wall man. Besides last season of Titans was terrible. And the first season wasn't much better. Doom Patrol is still the best comic book show, imo, but can't carry the entire streaming service. I'm at the point where I'm just hoping that shows like Doom Patrol, YJ and Harley Quinn survive/get moved to HBO max.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 12-13-2019 at 12:08 AM.