Page 18 of 71 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Thread: DC on HBO Max

BANNED

For what it's worth I did not like Green Lantern: The Animated Series.

The set pieces were largely uninteresting and unoccupied. There was an odd sense of emptiness to the show, like it was lacking extras. I imagine this is due in part to no one wanting to develop 3D models for random characters. It was especially noticeable when compared to the comparable Clone Wars, which had huge battles with loads of troops and vehicles, and cities populated with inhabitants.

The art style wasn't to my taste. I'm not going to say it was bad, I'll just say I personally found it off putting.

I felt what the showrunners REALLY wanted to focus on were their original characters, Razor and Aya, and I believed this undermined the lead character, Hal Jordan, who didn't have much of an arc compared to those two. This is a problem Hal Jordan faced during those Johns years. He's in the midst of action, but he's only there to be in action and he doesn't really have any character arc. Johns wanted to world build Corps and Entities, and the animated series was more interested in Razor and Aya, yet Hal Jordan is supposed to be the main character.

I didn't like the depiction of Anti-Monitor or Krona. There were better templates to use right in the comics and the show chose to do something dumber instead.

Somehow the musical score felt canned and cheap. It went for a John Williams Star Wars vibe, but...maybe the synth voices weren't the best choices, but somehow it just didn't come together well for me. This kind of exacerbates the emptiness problem mentioned above and the weird art style, and all-together, the show had a kind of cheap-ish vibe to me. The weak intro in general probably doesn't help. I know it was made in 2011, and things maybe changed a bit by then, but the intro to an action cartoon should really get the viewer pumped, like Mega Man:

I know the GL show is very popular with its fans, but it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't all THAT much interest in it. You just...of course wouldn't hear from the people who weren't all that interested in it. Granted, that's just me saying something. I don't have graphs to show how popular the show was, but yeah, it didn't get resurrected and Young Justice did.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    The set pieces were largely uninteresting and unoccupied. There was an odd sense of emptiness to the show, like it was lacking extras. I imagine this is due in part to no one wanting to develop 3D models for random characters. It was especially noticeable when compared to the comparable Clone Wars, which had huge battles with loads of troops and vehicles, and cities populated with inhabitants.
    That's a problem with a lot of CGI cartoons. You mention Clone Wars, but the kind of stuff that show was able to feature built up over time as they got more used to the technology and had a bigger budget.
    The art style wasn't to my taste. I'm not going to say it was bad, I'll just say I personally found it off putting.
    I thought it looked great, but to each their own .
    I felt what the showrunners REALLY wanted to focus on were their original characters, Razor and Aya, and I believed this undermined the lead character, Hal Jordan, who didn't have much of an arc compared to those two. This is a problem Hal Jordan faced during those Johns years. He's in the midst of action, but he's only there to be in action and he doesn't really have any character arc. Johns wanted to world build Corps and Entities, and the animated series was more interested in Razor and Aya, yet Hal Jordan is supposed to be the main character.
    I think the main character arcs of the show were definitely Aya and Razer's, even if I think Hal had his own arc and he was definitely still the main character and heart of the show. On-top of that his characterization and portrayal, complete with Josh Keaton, was absolutely perfect.

Sometimes you can have a main character even when their arc isn't driving the main plot.
    I didn't like the depiction of Anti-Monitor or Krona. There were better templates to use right in the comics and the show chose to do something dumber instead.
    Krona was basically a cameo wasn't he? I guess I can see the disappointment with the Anti-Monitor since he got hijacked by Aya.
    I know the GL show is very popular with its fans, but it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't all THAT much interest in it. You just...of course wouldn't hear from the people who weren't all that interested in it. Granted, that's just me saying something. I don't have graphs to show how popular the show was, but yeah, it didn't get resurrected and Young Justice did.
    I think I'd put it on par in popularity with Brave and The Bold and the cult classic DC cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know if it was as popular as YJ but it was definitely popular when it was on. They did make it a big deal when they put GL:TAS on the service.

It was also probably cheaper to bring back YJ since it didn't use CGI.
    Correct on all counts. First, the GL animated series performed well:

The Nov 2011 one-hour debut:

Friday night boasted a one-hour special serving as a “sneak peek” to the all-new animated action-adventure series Green Lantern (7-8 p.m.), which scored as the most-watched program of the night (6-9 p.m.) for Cartoon Network, ranked #1 in its time period among boys 9-14, and attracted more than 1.9 million viewers ages 2+. The presentation also grew by double-digits across all targeted demos vs. its Young Justice lead-in, and continued to grow its kids 2-11 and boys 2-11 audience across the second half-hour. Green Lantern will premiere as a series in First Quarter 2012.

The Feb 2012 debut of DC Nation (GL+YJ):

The Saturday morning premiere of the new DC Nation block, featuring Green Lantern (10 a.m.) and Young Justice (10:30 a.m.) earned significant double and triple delivery gains across all kids and boys demos vs. the same time period last year. Green Lantern’s kids 2-11, 6-11 & 9-14 average delivery grew between 95% and 105%, while Young Justice’s kids demo deliveries grew between 33% and 88%.

Unfortunately none of that mattered - the show was cancelled before it ever premiered. The producers were told it was unlikely that WB would spend another dime for an expensive CGI show, without a toyline to support it. The ratings were good, but in animation ratings are just one metric.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    They tried it in the past with both the movie and the animated series, and it didn't work. If they're gonna get people interested and differentiate this from the flopped movie they've gotta use a different take. That's almost certainly why the planned (and presumably shelved now) reboot movie was called "Green Lantern Corps" and was stated from the beginning to be a buddy cop movie in the vein of Lethal Weapon.
    And you think it’s exactly the character’s fault instead of the inept creative team. Seriously, did you work for the movie?

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    And you think it’s exactly the character’s fault instead of the inept creative team.
    I think that if they're trying to sell people on the franchise again then they need a different take. Like I said, I'm clearly not alone in this when the pitch they were working on for years for the reboot movie was a buddy cop flick instead of another attempted Hal Jordan solo.

Edit.

10char
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-04-2019 at 09:06 PM.

Incredible Member

I think that if they're trying to sell people on the franchise again then they need a different take. Like I said, I'm clearly not alone in this when the pitch they were working on for years for the reboot movie was a buddy cop flick instead of another attempted Hal Jordan solo.
    And that reboot movie is running so smoothly that it will be released on schedule next year.

Extraordinary Member

Here is some talk about hbo max.
    Check it out.
    GREEN LANTERN Coming to HBO MAX - Hyper Heroes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3WTRp35SZ0&t=2332s
    Last edited by mace11; 11-05-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Astonishing Member

Green Lantern will apparently be set in the Arrow-Verse.

Titans and Doom Patrol are on the streaming service DC Universe—based on DC books but, confusingly, outside Arrowverse continuity. Next year, TV will add Arrowverse shows with Superman, Stargirl, Booster Gold, and Green Lantern. (Berlanti also produced the Green Lantern movie with Ryan Reynolds and like a zillion other TV shows.)
    https://www.wired.com/story/crisis-o...over-watchmen/
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post

Hell no.
    Is this source credible?

He just walked it back on Twitter and now says they won’t be lol.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I know the Arrowverse has its fans, but I've never been into it.
    And setting any further shows in the Arrowverse, which I thought they were going to start phasing out (unless I misunderstood what was rumored a while back), isn't ideal for setting up the future of DC television shows. The Arrowverse has had a great run, but I think they need to keep the HBO Max stuff separate from it all. I'll be curious to see what comes of all this.

It's hard to believe that the Green Lantern show on HBO Max will be tied to anything existing considering they are rumored to be willing to drop up to $100 million on it.

It being in the Arrowverse just seems like a dumb decision in general. I don't hate it personally but, nah a high budget show like this would look out of place next to the rest of the Arrowverse. Plus, far too polarizing for some fans and it would turn most off.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post

This better not be true..

I definitely think Hal is worth a lot less in adaptations right now than he's worth in print.

It's not the character's fault of course and even though I'm not a fan of Hal myself, a lot of other people obviously are and you don't get a fanbase like that for being a crappy character. But the movie tanked, the animated series (which I actually thought was decent for what it was) got cut short, and I don't think WB is out of line thinking that another stab at Hal might be not be met with enthusiasm by the general public. Being a flying punchline in the Lego movies and one of Superman's supporters in Injustice probably haven't had much impact, but what little impact they have had probably doesn't lean in Hal's favor either. Though that's nitpicking to a unnecessary degree.

I think JLU was too long ago for it to have a ton of positive impact on John, as well. I love that show and I know it's still got fans out there and John's got a strong fanbase of his own but in blockbuster metrics I think he's largely a unknown factor who's not gonna swing the box office very much in either direction. Well, outside of him being black anyway. We all know a black lead film gets more attention than a white one, since it only seems to happen once a decade or so.

When half the appeal of GL is supposed to be this big space cop brotherhood, and you've got half a dozen leading characters to pick from, why just go with another solo? For anybody?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.