Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Flash #785 Spoilers/Discussion (Read Before Dark Crisis #4).

I wanted to start this thread to say that Jeremy Adams continues to do a great job with the hand he is dealt, mainly having to tie-in to bigger stories while maintaining the story he wants to tell.

I also want to start this so that people who go into Dark Crisis #4 don’t get confused and can follow the story. Because this is a Dark Crisis story, and it is going to tie-in to the next issue pretty heavily. In fact solicitations for issue 4 even mention that things spin directly out of the Flash.

So what is going on is the Flash family has been split up across the multiverse while looking for Barry. Jay and Iris and Jai find themselves in a Batman like world, Jessie and Max find themselves in Mad Max, and Wally and Wallace (Ace) have found Barry on his dream world. Linda Park-West however is freaking out over her husband and kids and decides, much to to the chagrin of Mister Terrific, with her new speed powers to go after her family. I don’t really care for the Mad Max story, it was more a fun visual gag. But I like the Night Flash world and it feels like it sets up a new multiverse threat with Knives Maroney who is a bit of a mix of reverse flash, Benjamin button, and Chucky…yeah that is a weird sentence I admit it. But it feels like they set him up for a come back so IÂ’d keep a watch out for tiny psycho speedsters.

Oh and there is a bit of a problem on Barry’s world: 1) Ace is starting to be seduced by the (great) darkness and 2) Barry sees Wally as Eobard and is proceeding to whoop him…well that is until Linda shows up and literally beats some sense into Barry. It’s pretty good. But from it Barry snaps out of it and reveals to Wally that the Justice League have to be alive if they got disintegrated like him. And then they come back together as they run away from the dream world that is falling apart around them because Barry is free and Ace has figured out that everything is wrong.

But Barry is going to be a hero and while the Flash Family head home to help out and spread the good news, Barry has decided to go off to the races to save the Justice League who are still trapped which without any doubt in my mind will happen in the next issue of Dark Crisis.

I think Adam here manages to handle the ball that is a crisis event masterfully. He is teeing up his own stories of the West Family of Speedsters and the Flash family all while making sure to play ball and get Barry where he needs for Williamson. It’s a juggling game and Adams has managed to play it with style. I think more people should read this run because it’s just a lot of fun.
    Last edited by sifighter; 08-16-2022 at 07:25 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Jeremy Adams is simply kicking monster arse on this book.
    Every issue reads like he's simply having a great time writing it.
    It also helps that the man has done his homework in regards to Flash lore. Every issue so far has been brilliant for me.
    If DC allow him to continue, for mine, he will be on par or surpass Waid and Johns.
    I LOVE THIS BOOK!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Just read the issue and did enjoy that this finally wraps up a least one component of Barry's story since its occurrence in Infinite Frontier. Don't know why it happened but it's cool to see that whole story line unfold all this time! Excited for DC#4!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I wanted to start this thread to say that Jeremy Adams continues to do a great job with the hand he is dealt, mainly having to tie-in to bigger stories while maintaining the story he wants to tell.

I also want to start this so that people who go into Dark Crisis #4 don’t get confused and can follow the story. Because this is a Dark Crisis story, and it is going to tie-in to the next issue pretty heavily. In fact solicitations for issue 4 even mention that things spin directly out of the Flash.

So what is going on is the Flash family has been split up across the multiverse while looking for Barry. Jay and Iris and Jai find themselves in a Batman like world, Jessie and Max find themselves in Mad Max, and Wally and Wallace (Ace) have found Barry on his dream world. Linda Park-West however is freaking out over her husband and kids and decides, much to to the chagrin of Mister Terrific, with her new speed powers to go after her family. I don’t really care for the Mad Max story, it was more a fun visual gag. But I like the Night Flash world and it feels like it sets up a new multiverse threat with Knives Maroney who is a bit of a mix of reverse flash, Benjamin button, and Chucky…yeah that is a weird sentence I admit it. But it feels like they set him up for a come back so IÂ’d keep a watch out for tiny psycho speedsters.

Oh and there is a bit of a problem on Barry’s world: 1) Ace is starting to be seduced by the (great) darkness and 2) Barry sees Wally as Eobard and is proceeding to whoop him…well that is until Linda shows up and literally beats some sense into Barry. It’s pretty good. But from it Barry snaps out of it and reveals to Wally that the Justice League have to be alive if they got disintegrated like him. And then they come back together as they run away from the dream world that is falling apart around them because Barry is free and Ace has figured out that everything is wrong.

But Barry is going to be a hero and while the Flash Family head home to help out and spread the good news, Barry has decided to go off to the races to save the Justice League who are still trapped which without any doubt in my mind will happen in the next issue of Dark Crisis.

I think Adam here manages to handle the ball that is a crisis event masterfully. He is teeing up his own stories of the West Family of Speedsters and the Flash family all while making sure to play ball and get Barry where he needs for Williamson. It’s a juggling game and Adams has managed to play it with style. I think more people should read this run because it’s just a lot of fun.
    Really enjoyed it. I would have loved to see more of Mad Max Barry and I kind of roll my eyes at how Adams goes overboard with the corny "Linda is so tough and sassy and scares everyone" thing, but those are minor complaints.

Apparently Adams writes Jesse like she's still married to Rick so I guess her dialogue with Max wasn't flirtatious, just genuinely quippy banter.

(I'm sure there were a lot of people who enjoyed Linda punching and telling off Barry...)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Apparently Adams writes Jesse like she's still married to Rick so I guess her dialogue with Max wasn't flirtatious, just genuinely quippy banter.

(I'm sure there were a lot of people who enjoyed Linda punching and telling off Barry...)
    That part bugged me a little, too. It felt intentional and like the kind of things that Wally fans would be upset about if the situation was reversed.

Instead of saying “heaven help them” shouldn’t Mr. Terrific say “science help them.”

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Instead of saying “heaven help them” shouldn’t Mr. Terrific say “science help them.”
    I mean he’s on the JSA, which is the same team as the Spectre “gods vengeful Angel” so…I could see Terrific believing in god a tad.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I mean he’s on the JSA, which is the same team as the Spectre “gods vengeful Angel” so…I could see Terrific believing in god a tad.
    That was actually a big thing/issue with Michael during his time on the team. Even in the Terrifics it came up with his atheism contrasting with Ms. Terrific.

Man, if only Pieter Cross was back...

double entendre

That was actually a big thing/issue with Michael during his time on the team. Even in the Terrifics it came up with his atheism contrasting with Ms. Terrific.

Man, if only Pieter Cross was back...
    You know now I kind of just want a scene where Michael talking about his beliefs and suddenly Constantine walks in and Michael asks where he’s taking him and Constantine just says “the basement”.

1. Because JLD headquarters underneath the hall of Justice and 2. I’ve read Constantine and Terrific in DCeased
    Words to live by.

You know now I kind of just want a scene where Michael talking about his beliefs and suddenly Constantine walks in and Michael asks where he’s taking him and Constantine just says “the basement”.

1. Because JLD headquarters underneath the hall of Justice and 2. I’ve read Constantine and Terrific in DCeased
    Michael definitely wouldn't take any of John's @#$%.

But he’s also seen humans gain god-like power through super science. Mortals gaining the power to reshape the cosmos. So people like Terrific could view gods as something that can always be explained through scientific research. Even if he can’t figure it out right now, it’s something that can be explained.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    That part bugged me a little, too. It felt intentional and like the kind of things that Wally fans would be upset about if the situation was reversed.
    Wasn't that bad. It wasn't as if Linda were whaling on him and cursing him out. She just needed to wake him up, something that Wally should have done, but didn't because his respect for Barry prevented him from doing what was necessary.

The scene raises an interesting question: how well have Barry and Linda come to know each other? For years, Linda only knew Barry as the uncle whom Wally worshiped and couldn't stop talking about. Her first meeting with Barry (nearly thirty years ago now in real time) was actually Eobard Thawne impersonating him, and she didn't get to meet the real Barry properly until Barry returned in FINAL CRISIS. However, we haven't really seen Barry and Linda interact much in the fourteen years since FINAL CRISIS. Their interaction in # 785 is as much interaction as we've really seen between these two important figures in Wally's life.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Mr terrific knows that heaven is real. I mean, he became Mr terrific after the Spectre saved him from despair.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.