Page 15 of 71 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: DC on HBO Max

Incredible Member

Well, that sounds disturbing as hell.
    I'd rather they could make this show after having a well-considered plan.

Extraordinary Member

Check out some other talk
    Green Lantern Reboot on HBOMax & Budget Concern [Discussion]

Extraordinary Member

The Green Lantern Series will FAIL?!!!

BANNED

I can't imagine Green Lantern getting a movie if the budget to this thing actually is around 150 million dollars. I just don't see WB risking THAT much money (the budget for this show PLUS a movie budget) into this property when they have no extremely good reason to believe their investment will pay off. Green Lantern isn't a really bankable IP. If it's true they don't even know what they're going to do yet, I doubt they have a fool proof plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I can't imagine Green Lantern getting a movie if the budget to this thing actually is around 150 million dollars. I just don't see WB risking THAT much money (the budget for this show PLUS a movie budget) into this property when they have no extremely good reason to believe their investment will pay off. Green Lantern isn't a really bankable IP. If it's true they don't even know what they're going to do yet, I doubt they have a fool proof plan.
    I have my doubts too. It's a lot of money, a lot. And whatever Disney is investing in their series, I seriously doubt is half that much. Unless they've released official figures for those. I may be wrong, I don't know much about these businesses, but, heck, that's the budget of some movies that are released worldwide, unlike these series.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 11-03-2019 at 01:12 AM.

This GL series is meant to tie into the DCEU if successful so maybe that justifies the investment. I hope it does well and excited for the Superhero high.

So the rumoured shows were just that rumours.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    This GL series is meant to tie into the DCEU if successful so maybe that justifies the investment. I hope it does well and excited for the Superhero high.

Yeah.
    These are the shows we know are coming out.

Hbo max shows
    Green lantern
    Strange Adventures: Adam Strange TV Series
    Superhero high

CW shows
    Superman and Lois

There is talk of a lobo show and blue beetle could be a hbo max movie or show down the road.
    There is still plans for a big screen blue beetle movie however but they could still turn that into a hbo max show or hbo max movie in the future.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-03-2019 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post

Where do you get this?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I have my doubts too. It's a lot of money, a lot. And whatever Disney is investing in their series, I seriously doubt is half that much.
    Per The Hollywood Reporter, it's actually comparable.

Disney is sparing no expense on programming, projecting a 2020 original content budget short of $1 billion. The Mandalorian is said to cost $15 million an episode, for instance, and a source pegs Marvel entries The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, WandaVision and Hawkeye at as much as $25 million per episode.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fe...eaming-1247663

All of the shows that Marvel Studios is producing are expected to be six to eight episodes in length with budgets comparable to a Marvel film project, which typically run between $100 and $150 million. According to an individual with knowledge of the productions, Marvel Studios execs and Feige held meetings early on to discuss how to maintain the visual standard fans have come to expect from Marvel’s films while still bringing their budgets more in line with other TV shows. Those budgets will still be on the high end of the spectrum.

They will also be a far cry from past the budgets of past Marvel live-action shows. After the initial slate of Marvel-Netflix shows was announced, Variety reported in 2014 that the budget for the first seasons of “Daredevil,” “Jessica Jones,” “Luke Cage,” and “Iron Fist” would be $200 million total. With each season consisting of 13 episodes, that comes out to roughly $3.8 million per episode, not accounting for budget overruns and other factors.
    https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/mar...tv-1203349869/

Note these are from Variety and The Hollywood Reporter, two of the most reliable entertainment outlets too. Not random bloggers or gossip sites like Wevegotthiscovered or Cosmicbooknews.

Wow! TV, these days... Mmmm, I guess most of that budget goes paying the cast and probably some big crew posts, like direction, or even music licenses. Because the rest shouldn't cost that much, unless they're choosing expensive film locations.

I still don't see them getting much profit from those shows. Their streaming service isn't worldwide, their subciptors aren't comparable to the people that goes to movies, and then selling that to other TV channels is a mixed bah: most countries don't have channels that could pay a lot for them, or I don't think they could.

Or maybe China is just that big a portion of their cake and they can profit from their service there enough? (are they in China yet?)
    Last edited by Zaresh; 11-03-2019 at 09:49 AM. Reason: addendum

Ultimate Member

I have my doubts too. It's a lot of money, a lot. And whatever Disney is investing in their series, I seriously doubt is half that much. Unless they've released official figures for those. I may be wrong, I don't know much about these businesses, but, heck, that's the budget of some movies that are released worldwide, unlike these series.
    Disney can do that because they have a track record of success. So tossing 150 million at Winter Soldier & Falcon is fine. Because Disney knows they will get that investment back.

Warner Brothers is the one that needs their head examined. This is the same company that has scrapped projects with hefty price tags before.
    Lost in Space pilot was $1 million (a high price at the time early 2000s) with a well know director. They scrapped it. The sets and music from that pilot can now be seen on SYFY Battlestar Galatica.

I would spend $150 million on Question, Blue Beetle, Flash or others. Not Green Lantern-where you have a war of Lanterns. It can't be a love letter to Hal Jordan. It 's can't showcase ONE of the others where there is a struggle to get material for them. It needs to be about a police force like it should have been day one.

Ultimate Member

Wow! TV, these days... Mmmm, I guess most of that budget goes paying the cast and probably some big crew posts, like direction, or even music licenses. Because the rest shouldn't cost that much, unless they're choosing expensive film locations.

I still don't see them getting much profit from those shows. Their streaming service isn't worldwide, their subciptors aren't comparable to the people that goes to movies, and then selling that to other TV channels is a mixed bah: most countries don't have channels that could pay a lot for them, or I don't think they could.

Or maybe China is just that big a portion of their cake and they can profit from their service there enough? (are they in China yet?)
    DVD & Blue Ray.

There is one place that is 100% guaranteed to buy them. LIBRARIES.

Depending on the content-school libraries.

Then finally the public.

That is just the North America. Overseas is a different beast.

Baywatch was a joke here. It was big business overseas with only Star Trek TNG in popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I would spend $150 million on Question, Blue Beetle, Flash or others. Not Green Lantern-where you have a war of Lanterns. It can't be a love letter to Hal Jordan. It 's can't showcase ONE of the others where there is a struggle to get material for them. It needs to be about a police force like it should have been day one.
    Don't worry, HBO won't spend all this money just to end up having their Green Lantern show centered around "the white guy from the bad movie that Ryan Reynolds can't stop making fun of". They will probably just end up giving the main character Hal's stories and villains, but that's business I guess. Plus, I imagine Geoff Johns won't be involved in this in any capacity, so there won't be a danger of it being a love letter to Hal Jordan, regardless of how much WB owes that character an apology.
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-03-2019 at 10:06 AM.

DVD & Blue Ray.

There is one place that is 100% guaranteed to buy them. LIBRARIES.

Depending on the content-school libraries.

Then finally the public.

That is just the North America. Overseas is a different beast.

Baywatch was a joke here. It was big business overseas with only Star Trek TNG in popularity.
    Do really people still buy DVDs and Blue-Ray disks these days?
    Also, I'm a librarian and can tell you, libraries don't hold that many sales. Most libraries share their materials and purchase them collectively.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 11-03-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Disney can do that because they have a track record of success. So tossing 150 million at Winter Soldier & Falcon is fine. Because Disney knows they will get that investment back.

Warner Brothers is the one that needs their head examined. This is the same company that has scrapped projects with hefty price tags before.
    Lost in Space pilot was $1 million (a high price at the time early 2000s) with a well know director. They scrapped it. The sets and music from that pilot can now be seen on SYFY Battlestar Galatica.

Well, that makes sense.

(I'm sorry for my double posting, guys)