Page 16 of 71 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: DC on HBO Max

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    This GL series is meant to tie into the DCEU if successful so maybe that justifies the investment. I hope it does well and excited for the Superhero high.

So the rumoured shows were just that rumours.
    I remember years ago before BVS and JL the internet arguments about whether they should tie the tv shows in with the movies. But that was back then when everyone thought the DCEU was going to be the big definitive dc live action franchise. Like people thought tying them in would give them legitimacy. But that was then, does anyone still think that now in late 2019? While it has success in stand alones, as a shared universe it’s a complete failure. At this point they should stop trying to make the DCEU happen, it’s not.

All-New Member

The Green Lantern Corps movie is still happening and the Green Lantern HBO Max show is NOT supposed to tie into the DCEU.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Do really people still buy DVDs and Blue-Ray disks these days?
    Also, I'm a librarian and can tell you, libraries don't hold that many sales. Most libraries share their materials and purchase them collectively.
    Haha, you and I live in different worlds. My husband and I have a huge Collection of Blu-Rays & DVDs of our movies. We don’t stream and don’t go to theatres because of the often uncontrolled and rude atmosphere. When we buy any movie, we have to like it enough to keep and watch again otherwise I EITHER eBay it OR I donate to our town Library.
    Our library has a HUGE whole side wall section of the length of the building of movies to check out. It’s very popular to our town people.
    We also have lots of books and now a large area for people to sign up and be on the Internet.

As for us again, we prefer to watch all/every tv show and movie this way as we control what we watch and when and how
    Many times. 95% of our stuff is before 2015 and back to the classics.
    We don’t like most of this crap out there now and the political correct bs.... and since we have our own huge library it can’t be removed from our viewing.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

All-New Member

No? Where did you hear that the show was supposed to tie into the DCEU?

Also, what "rumoured shows"?

All-New Member

Argh I suck at forums, I was replying to "dietrich"

Quote Originally Posted by Vullein070 View Post
    Argh I suck at forums, I was replying to "dietrich"
    You have to hit "reply with quote" to respond to someone directly here. Pressing reply just makes a post.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl_70 View Post
    Haha, you and I live in different worlds. My husband and I have a huge Collection of Blu-Rays & DVDs of our movies. We don’t stream and don’t go to theatres because of the often uncontrolled and rude atmosphere. When we buy any movie, we have to like it enough to keep and watch again otherwise I EITHER eBay it OR I donate to our town Library.
    Our library has a HUGE whole side wall section of the length of the building of movies to check out. It’s very popular to our town people.
    We also have lots of books and now a large area for people to sign up and be on the Internet.

As for us again, we prefer to watch all/every tv show and movie this way as we control what we watch and when and how
    Many times. 95% of our stuff is before 2015 and back to the classics.
    We don’t like most of this crap out there now and the political correct bs.... and since we have our own huge library it can’t be removed from our viewing.
    Here comes a wall of text about librarian stuff. I'm from Spain; so things may be different there.

Books, we readers are still relying in physical, paper format worldwide (here in Europe and there in America). Statistics point to e-books being a small share of the market; but the funny thing is that, to my knowledge, libraries are investing in that format because sheer space economy, and it may help lighting the budget of libraries because, as I mentioned, they contract / purchase licenses collectively (at least in small and medium libraries, as far as I recall. And this is not much different between countries, I think). Other media are different cases: libraries don't usually have access to streaming services, (I think. But I've just found out that there are streaming services for libraries, so who knows; maybe this will change) and they prefer physical copies, like BDs or DVDs. The ALA (American Library Association) may have some publications about that subject.

Still, those bring their own problems: BDs may be more recent, so their conservation is probably easier, and those BDs or their players aren't so hard to find cheap if they break (which has been a problem across the story of different formats, like VHS and older magnetic tapes, Laser Disc, CD-ROMs and floppy disks... You may have purchased a huge collection of video games in floppy discs, but then, 5 or 10 years later, you end with a sizeable collection of floppy disks that you cannot run in any computer not only because their different operative systems, but because your computers don't have the fitting drive anymore. It would be amusing if it weren't painful too).

Consumers at home, I guess it depends on their age. Millennials like myself prefer streaming to a collection of different physical formats (I recall reading this a few years ago). Going by my friends and family, people older than 50 are physical-mostly, and the range between both is half-half. But then there're exceptions, like my parents, who are digital only, and my little brother, who, even if he does use streaming services, also owns a nice collection of DVDs and BDs.

I may be wrong, but this is my understanding. Which make me think that the DVD market isn't that big as it was like 10 or 15 years ago.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 11-03-2019 at 02:58 PM. Reason: ugh, vocabulary

Still, those bring their own problems: BDs may be more recent, so their conservation is probably easier, and those BDs or their players aren't so hard to find cheap if they break (which has been a problem across the story of different formats, like VHS and older magnetic tapes, Laser Disc, CD-ROMs and floppy disks... You may have purchased a huge collection of video games in floppy discs, but then, 5 or 10 years later, you end with a sizeable collection of floppy disks that you cannot run in any computer not only because their different operative systems, but because your computers don't have the fitting drive anymore. It would be amusing if it weren't painful too).
    Solvable by connecting an external floppy drive... though I guess those wouldn't be easy to obtain by now. Once you get the files copied to a hard drive or the cloud, you're good to go. Even OS's aren't an issue, thanks to emulators or virtual machines (probably DOSBox, if it's PC games).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Here comes a wall of text about librarian stuff. I'm from Spain; so things may be different there.

Books, we readers are still relying in physical, paper format worldwide (here in Europe and there in America). Statistics point to e-books being a small share of the market; but the funny thing is that, to my knowledge, libraries are investing in that format because sheer space economy, and it may help lighting the budget of libraries because, as I mentioned, they contract / purchase licenses collectively (at least in small and medium libraries, as far as I recall. And this is not much different between countries, I think). Other media are different cases: libraries don't usually have access to streaming services, (I think. But I've just found out that there are streaming services for libraries, so who knows; maybe this will change) and they prefer physical copies, like BDs or DVDs. The ALA (American Library Association) may have some publications about that subject.

Consumers at home, I guess it depends on their age. Millennials like myself prefer streaming to a collection of different physical formats (I recall reading this a few years ago). Going by my friends and family, people older than 50 are physical-mostly, and the range between both is half-half. But then there're exceptions, like my parents, who are digital only, and my little brother, who, even if he does use streaming services, also owns a nice collection of DVDs and BDs.

I may be wrong, but this is my understanding. Which make me think that the DVD market isn't that big as it was like 10 or 15 years ago.
    Did I mention I absolutely love libraries ?

Wow! TV, these days... Mmmm, I guess most of that budget goes paying the cast and probably some big crew posts, like direction, or even music licenses. Because the rest shouldn't cost that much, unless they're choosing expensive film locations.
    Special effects add up. Or that is to say, non-cheap ones do. Even well done practical ones are very pricey. They don't want another mess like Inhumans, where people wouldn't stop clowning on the show because of how utterly cheap and fake everything looked.

With a character like Green Lantern, where his powers are going to be almost entirely CG most likely (it's easy to fake something like super strength using practical effects; light and energy powers, not so much), that's gonna get expensive very quickly.
    Last edited by Holt; 11-03-2019 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Solvable by connecting an external floppy drive... though I guess those wouldn't be easy to obtain by now. Once you get the files copied to a hard drive or the cloud, you're good to go. Even OS's aren't an issue, thanks to emulators or virtual machines (probably DOSBox, if it's PC games).
    Oh, yeah, you're right (that's how I managed to play games like Gabriel Knight, among others). But keep in mind, that these items are meant to be used by the users of these libraries, either with public computers or their own computers at home; and in both cases, they usually aren't equipped with that sort of gadgets (either virtual machines or external drives. Usually, by the average users, I mean). This was an actual case that one of our teachers (who was the director of our college library) told us about in class in 2004. Another one was with a portion of their CD collection that ended up being unreadable by their players somehow (I don't know the technical specifications behind that problem. Maybe those CDs weren't good, or the recording wasn't of quality).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Did I mention I absolutely love libraries ?
    Libraries are for love, libraries are life ._.)/\(._.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 11-03-2019 at 06:42 PM. Reason: grammar, et cetera

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Special effects add up. Or that is to say, non-cheap ones do. Even well done practical ones are very pricey. They don't want another mess like Inhumans, where people wouldn't stop pointing out how utterly cheap and fake everything looked.

With a character like Green Lantern, where his powers are going to be almost entirely CG most likely (it's easy to fake something like super strength using practical effects; light and energy powers, not so much), that's gonna get expensive very quickly.
    Oh, please, don't remind me of that show (but thanks to inhumans being awful, the show was soon canned and Anson Mount was cast in Star Trek for a very lovable character and he did good there, so, yaaaay~).

Yeah, CG that reproduces or animates humans or known animals is hard to pull well, I think. Some other effects, like landscapes or things, are easier, for whatever reason. It all depends on what they want to do, I guess. I'm looking at the shows that have been announced and I'm thinking that Hawkeye and Moon Knight are the easier to make without a lot of work. Maybe What if..., She-Hulk and Falcom and Winter Soldier too, depending on how often they want to show the characters doing their gimmicks. Ms. Marvel and and Loki are going to call for a lot of work, I think. Now I can see clearly why their budget is that massive.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 11-03-2019 at 06:43 PM.

What If is a cartoon.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    What If is a cartoon.
    It is? Good.
    Damn, I should get myself more interested in those shows. Not going to have actual access to that service (or anyone who's going to get it) is really killing my interest, it seems :/.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Disney can do that because they have a track record of success. So tossing 150 million at Winter Soldier & Falcon is fine. Because Disney knows they will get that investment back.

Warner Brothers is the one that needs their head examined. This is the same company that has scrapped projects with hefty price tags before.
    Lost in Space pilot was $1 million (a high price at the time early 2000s) with a well know director. They scrapped it. The sets and music from that pilot can now be seen on SYFY Battlestar Galatica.

I would spend $150 million on Question, Blue Beetle, Flash or others. Not Green Lantern-where you have a war of Lanterns. It can't be a love letter to Hal Jordan. It 's can't showcase ONE of the others where there is a struggle to get material for them. It needs to be about a police force like it should have been day one.
    Why not? There wouldn't be any other Green Lanterns, or the Corps if not for Hal Jordan.