Page 17 of 71 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: DC on HBO Max

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Wow! TV, these days... Mmmm, I guess most of that budget goes paying the cast and probably some big crew posts, like direction, or even music licenses. Because the rest shouldn't cost that much, unless they're choosing expensive film locations.

I still don't see them getting much profit from those shows. Their streaming service isn't worldwide, their subciptors aren't comparable to the people that goes to movies, and then selling that to other TV channels is a mixed bah: most countries don't have channels that could pay a lot for them, or I don't think they could.

Or maybe China is just that big a portion of their cake and they can profit from their service there enough? (are they in China yet?)
    It's impossible. China is a heavily censored country. They won't let streaming media enter their market.

If they really do a full-on GL series rather than something "inspired by" the GL mythos, I think it might be the best shot we have at seeing all the GL's. A movie has more need to focus on a main character, but as we've seen, superhero tv shows seem to need and rely on a group dynamic - dragging in more and more cast members as the show goes on. That'd be perfect for GL, where we'd get time to focus on each Lantern over time and let them actually develop. Or does that make too much sense and I should ditch my hopes and go back to being cynical and apprehensive?

I think multiple characters is the way to go too. That's the nature of the franchise. The only issue is the more characters, the more money for VFX.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Why not? There wouldn't be any other Green Lanterns, or the Corps if not for Hal Jordan.
    They tried it in the past with both the movie and the animated series, and it didn't work. If they're gonna get people interested and differentiate this from the flopped movie they've gotta use a different take. That's almost certainly why the planned (and presumably shelved now) reboot movie was called "Green Lantern Corps" and was stated from the beginning to be a buddy cop movie in the vein of Lethal Weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    If they really do a full-on GL series rather than something "inspired by" the GL mythos, I think it might be the best shot we have at seeing all the GL's. A movie has more need to focus on a main character, but as we've seen, superhero tv shows seem to need and rely on a group dynamic - dragging in more and more cast members as the show goes on. That'd be perfect for GL, where we'd get time to focus on each Lantern over time and let them actually develop. Or does that make too much sense and I should ditch my hopes and go back to being cynical and apprehensive?
    I just wonder if they'd give them access to every GL. I remember Hal and John being off-limits to the Arrowverse because of the movies, but I wonder if that's changed now.

Although I'm not sure how a "Team Lantern" would work with such similar, and budget-heavy, powersets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    They tried it in the past with both the movie and the animated series, and it didn't work. If they're gonna get people interested and differentiate this from the flopped movie they've gotta use a different take. That's almost certainly why the planned (and presumably shelved now) reboot movie was called "Green Lantern Corps" and was stated from the beginning to be a buddy cop movie in the vein of Lethal Weapon.
    The animated series was popular. It got canceled because of a lack of toy sales thanks to the movie tanking and CN growing disillusioned with DC action cartoons, but it was still popular (the complete series set sold out pretty quickly on Amazon's website when it went online as I recall).

It's like saying YJ didn't work because it got canceled.

I don't see why Hal needs to be swept under the rug to differentiate the new version from the 2011 movie, they simply need a new and better take on his character. It's not like he will be played by Ryan Reynolds again. The animated series' cancellation wasn't related to lack of interest.

Berlanti worked on shows that did some heavy Hal teasing at one point so I would not be surprised if he is at least acknowledged, and I don't see DC signing off on Parallax Hal being a thing.

Also, if the show is indeed Kyle-centered, then how do you have Kyle without Hal. Kyle wouldn't have become a GL if not for Hal, he wore Hal's ring for years. Obviously those TV adaptations always need to take certain liberties with the source material, but that seems like a really big thing to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I don't see why Hal needs to be swept under the rug
    Literally nobody is saying Hal Jordan needs to be swept under the rug. Just that this probably won't be a Hal Jordan solo project. There was this huge push for Hal in 2011 to be DC's Tony Stark and it fell flat on its face.

Also, if the show is indeed Kyle-centered, then how do you have Kyle without Hal.
    Exactly like how they did Kyle in the Superman TV show in the 90s?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just wonder if they'd give them access to every GL. I remember Hal and John being off-limits to the Arrowverse because of the movies, but I wonder if that's changed now.

Although I'm not sure how a "Team Lantern" would work with such similar, and budget-heavy, powersets.

The animated series was popular. It got canceled because of a lack of toy sales thanks to the movie tanking and CN growing disillusioned with DC action cartoons, but it was still popular (the complete series set sold out pretty quickly on Amazon's website when it went online as I recall).

It's like saying YJ didn't work because it got canceled.
    I don't remember GL: The Animated Series ever being as popular as Young Justice. It was rather telling to me that YJ was the one that ultimately got resurrected.

Literally nobody is saying Hal Jordan needs to be swept under the rug. Just that this probably won't be a Hal Jordan solo project. There was this huge push for Hal in 2011 to be DC's Tony Stark and it fell flat on its face.
    This time they could try to make him Hal Jordan rather than Tony Stark and it could work out much better. I do think multiple characters is the best way to go like I mentioned earlier. Especially for a TV show that needs a diverse cast of characters.

Exactly like how they did Kyle in the Superman TV show in the 90s?
    But isn't that exactly sweeping Hal under the rug though. The DCAU could get away with it because there wasn't a GL-centered show. If there was I'm doubtful that Hal would not have been a part of it.
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-04-2019 at 11:41 AM.

I don't remember GL: The Animated Series ever being as popular as Young Justice. It was rather telling to me that YJ was the one that ultimately got resurrected.
    I don't know if it was as popular as YJ but it was definitely popular when it was on. They did make it a big deal when they put GL:TAS on the service.

It was also probably cheaper to bring back YJ since it didn't use CGI.

I don't know if it was as popular as YJ but it was definitely popular when it was on. They did make it a big deal when they put GL:TAS on the service.

It was also probably cheaper to bring back YJ since it didn't use CGI.

I just don't recall it ever being on that level of popularity. I remember all the drama and petitions when YJ got the axe and the fervor of GL wasn't nearly as big.

This time they could try to make him Hal Jordan rather than Tony Stark and it could work out much better.
    Right. Or they could just try something else.

But isn't that exactly sweeping Hal under the rug though.
    I was mostly being sarcastic because of the implication that you can't do Kyle without Hal first.

I just don't recall it ever being on that level of popularity. I remember all the drama and petitions when YJ got the axe and the fervor of GL wasn't nearly as big.
    I think part of it is just that YJ ran longer and had a more passionate fanbase. The Greg Weisman factor probably had something to do with it.

I don't think it's fair to say GL:TAS wasn't popular though. I think it caught on more then Beware the Batman did.

Right. Or they could just try something else.
    Of course they could. A good portion of that franchise is built around that character though and he deserves better than what he got last time.

I think part of it is just that YJ ran longer and had a more passionate fanbase. The Greg Weisman factor probably had something to do with it.

I don't think it's fair to say GL:TAS wasn't popular though. I think it caught on more then Beware the Batman did.
    Thanks...Now I am gonna have nightmares again...That show was atrocious...

As for GL, I am biased, as I grew up a Hal Jordan GL fan. I had dreams of being Green Lantern and sometimes still do. Dreams are funny things...As for the Movie, so many things wrong with how they set it up, be it the costume or Parallax or many other things. I think Ryan Renolds was wrong as he just wasn't the right cocky it needed. They should have just set him up with the ring and started fighting some Earth bound baddies like Dr Polaris or even Grundy. Introduce William Hand, Hector Hammond etc as people to build the future off of and then have GL-Sinestro show up at the end to lead into part two, GLC. (at elast they sorta did that right) and expand from there...
    Last edited by krazijoe; 11-04-2019 at 12:54 PM.