Page 7 of 71 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: DC on HBO Max

Well HBO Max is premium and the focus of their efforts. It's higher above CW. Effects technology has gotten better, and if they have the money to make it happen, they will. We'll just have to see how it goes.

Extraordinary Member

Some of these, I really have to say, I would rather were movies. For example, I'd rather see a Martian Manhunter film set in the DCEU than a CW Show set in the Arrowverse. Likewise, I wish Green Lantern Corps was a film franchise instead of a movie or, at the very least, they should have a trilogy of Green Lantern DCEU movies with Hal and John and then have the GLC series set in the same universe and focus on Guy, Kyle, Kilowog, Arisia, etc. with Hal and John guest-starring from time to time.

Also, I'm just confused as to what the whole continuity situation is going to be going forward. Will DC be maintaining the DCU original series, the CW shows, and the DCEU as three distinct continuities? Will the HBO Max series be yet another continuity? Will they opt to make the DCU Originals/HBO Max originals part of the DCEU?
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 10-28-2019 at 07:50 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Superman and Batman have survived much worse than the CW.
    I'm not really sure they have.

For Batman, I'm literally shocked that they're allowing a CW BATWOMAN show...but at least Matt Reeves and Robert Pattinson are going to bring a hella quality flick to screens. Plus Titans has Ian Glein as Bruce Wayne.

Superman? I think he's only a few steps away from being a complete B-list character. A CW show with CW writing and CW production value...with the Hoechlin dude...Aquaman may very well be a larger icon soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I'm not really sure they have.
    Sure they have. They've had outright bombs to their names and absolutely critically panned projects before. Some in very recent memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Fair enough, let me humor this then. I can potentially see a Blue Beetle show or even a Martian Manhunter spin-off, but how do you do Green Lantern on television? How do you take a concept like that and do it justice on the small screen, even if it's HBO Max I really doubt they would invest tens of millions of dollars in every episode.
    It depends on how much they're willing to spend. Disney is going all out with the budgets for the upcoming Star Wars and Marvel shows and Kevin Feige reportedly told the execs he would only do these if they had a significantly higher budget than stuff like Agents of SHIELD or the Netflix shows. And the early reactions from people who saw the Mandalorian did say it genuinely looked really expensive and close to on par with the visuals in the movies for the most part.

Now, WB is not Disney and they don't necessarily have that same war chest to pull from. But if they're serious about making HBO Max a hit, it would be possible to do something like Green Lantern or Blue Beetle on TV if they were willing to actually put in the money.
    Last edited by Holt; 10-28-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Okay, AT&T are apparently planning to spend around 2 billion dollars on HBO Max next year. If so, I can probably change my mind about some of the aforementioned DC properties not working for TV.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...20-1203385585/

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Okay, AT&T are apparently planning to spend around 2 billion dollars on HBO Max next year. If so, I can probably change my mind about some of the aforementioned DC properties not working for TV.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...20-1203385585/
    Now if a Superman show was on HBO Max? I'd be really down. 8 episodes a season of big budget Superman adventures would be fantastic. But the fact these projects keep going to the CW is really frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    ‘Superman & Lois’ TV Series Starring Tyler Hoechlin & Elizabeth Tulloch In The Works At The CW: https://deadline.com/2019/10/superma...cw-1202770637/
    Oh please let this happen!
    I only like Green Arrow and The Flash shows.
    I need this to replace my Arrow viewing.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Now if a Superman show was on HBO Max? I'd be really down. 8 episodes a season of big budget Superman adventures would be fantastic. But the fact these projects keep going to the CW is really frustrating
    I mean, they probably delinate to wherever appropriate. If they want to do a show with CW Superman, it's going to be on the CW, if they want to do an HBOMax Question show...etc.

Honestly, I'd prefer as many DC shows to come to HBO Max as possible.

You also don't need the most incredible budget if your intention is to tell heartwarming stories about Lois and Clark being parents. Superman is eternal, different stories need to be told if he's going to be interesting, but not every story needs to be bombastic. Superman is a nice guy doing nice things at his core, the story can take any form.

Blue Beetle is definitely not eternal. There's a certain amount of care that needs to go into making that story worthwhile for viewers, and spending a lot more to make the sci-fi aspects feel real is probably why they'd need a higher budget. That's why the Blue Beetle IP has been on the back burner as a possible movie for a while and barred from appearing on the CW for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    You also don't need the most incredible budget if your intention is to tell heartwarming stories about Lois and Clark being parents. Superman is eternal, different stories need to be told if he's going to be interesting, but not every story needs to be bombastic. Superman is a nice guy doing nice things at his core, the story can take any form.

Blue Beetle is definitely not eternal. There's a certain amount of care that needs to go into making that story worthwhile for viewers, and spending a lot more to make the sci-fi aspects feel real is probably why they'd need a higher budget. That's why the Blue Beetle IP has been on the back burner as a possible movie for a while and barred from appearing on the CW for years now.
    So is that why he's ideal for a Max Original show?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post

Your idea of him is based on the messianic figure he is made into. The siegel and shuster's superman is not that.

Hmmmm. I guess we'll have to wait and see what shows are officially announced.

It's a shame there probably won't be any shows about Animal Man, Dr Fate or Kingdom Come

Astonishing Member

I'm really down on Greg Berlanti shows. For some reason, Chilling Tales of Sabrina manages to rise above his other shows - but I think that 's due to the influence of Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa -- the show's creator. Still, Berlanti's far left views manage to find their way into that show as well.

I don't know why DC/WB stick with mediocre producers/directors for so long -- be it in TV or film.

Hitman would be perfect for this. A super powered assassin operating in Gotham - that's such an easy sell.
    Check out my new action comedy comic Supermom. Superhero Voltra is out to stop her archnemesis from taking over the world. There's just one problem: she's pregnant... and he's the father.

Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986r..._Pack.pdf/file