Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Changing characters and DC groups origins

If you could make your own version, what it´d be his/her/their origin of your character/group? new villains, or switch villains/friends/love interests? Example: Switch Superman villains with Batman, Superman facing Batman villains, this time their HIS villains.

LOL, I'd actually restore the Justice League origin to the original Seven founders battling the Appelaxians.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    LOL, I'd actually restore the Justice League origin to the original Seven founders battling the Appelaxians.
    So would I.

All-New Member

Ok, let me preface this by stating that Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) is my favorite DC hero and I love the Green Lantern corner of the DC universe. That being said, I think it is due for a reboot. I believe it is one of the only parts of the DC universe to not receive a hard reboot in the last 30 or so years and it shows. Currently there are too many earth lanterns splitting the fandom and a vast convoluted history preventing new fans from coming in. All that being said, here is my pitch for a reboot:

First I would rename the book Green Lanterns to highlight that it is a team book, not a solo title. Then I would establish that all space sectors have at least two appointed Green Lantrns assigned to them and some sectors, such as 2814, have even more due to increased activity in those areas. The series would begin with Abin Sur and his sector partner transporting a criminal when they crash land on Earth. Both lanterns are mortally wounded and their rings fly off to find the nearest suitable replacements, enter Hal Jordan and John Stewart. From there it would essentially become a budy cop procedural/crazy sie-fi adventure book. Hal and Jon would receive equal billing as lead characters and the book would highlight their differences while showing they are both heroes in their own rights. Hal would be former Air Force fighter pilot who got out of the military and joined Ferris Aircraft to pursue his lifes dream of going to space and visiting new worlds as an astronaut. He is a shoot first ask questions later kind of guy due to his training and experience as a pilot. John is a former Marine sniper who got out and became a successful architect. He calm cool and cool and normally thinks through problems before acting. Hal is better at aerial combat and has more raw willpower and John is better at tactics, a better marksman, and has more finesse and control with his constructs. They have to work together to protect Earth and the Universe and along the way they become good friends. John meets, falls in love, and marries Katma Tui. Hal continues his on again off again relationship with Carol. Eventually Hal, John, and Katma Tui will team up to take down Sinestro, Katma's corrupt sector partner.

After some time I would introduce Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner, two inactive reserve lanterns that fill in for Hal and John respectively from time to time. Ok, that is my pitch, I hope you guys liked it.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Getting to do Superman's origin would be my dream job!

1) Krypton's destruction isn't natural. It's a bomb left over from an old war planted in the core.

2) The governing council already knows about it when Jor-El confronts them and have already built a ship to go to Earth where they know it's sun will give them super-powers. They plan to conquer it.

3) Jor-El and Zor-El steal the ship to save their families. But the council finds out and shoots out the ship's star drive as it breaks atmosphere. The ship is blowing up and Jor-El and Zor-El put their children into escape pods.

4) Powers from day one. They discover his powers when Martha goes to wake him up from a nap and finds him floating on the ceiling.

5) No Superboy adventures but something like Smallville where he uses his powers in secret around town to help people.

6) Lex wasn't born a super-genius. He was kind of a screw up and his father threatened to disown him. He stole a formula his father's labs were working on to increase intelligence. He drinks it all and becomes a super-genius. It's possible he even knows Clark is Superman but keeps it to himself out of curiosity.

7) One idea I had, and I'm not sure I'd use it necessarily, is that he accidentally kills someone as a kid and that's the root of his "no kill" policy.

8) Krypto is a shape shifting creature and a stray dog is the first thing it encounters on Earth so it takes that form.

9) The Kandorians were the ones who planted the bomb that destroyed Krypton. When Superman rescues them from Brianiac, it's an act of forgiveness.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Catwoman, I'm definitely getting rid of the prostitute part, not because you can't do that, but because I notice whenever a writer do a noir-like adaptation, there's always a sex worker character and always written, drawn, or animated as fanservice.

There still needs to be a form of abuse in her backstory be it abusive bosses like Max Shreck or abusive husband like in Golden Age, because of her character, both as a cat and a woman have that wish fulfillment of not wanting to be tied down and fight back against the abusers.

Haven't figured out when or how her relationship with Holly started with the sex worker part out though.

I guess I can keep the abused sex worker part if I don't know how to implement the abusive boss and husband since she'll be young when she meets Batman and became Catwoman. I just want a different artist or even a writer.

I'm keeping the orphanage that's present in a lot of her back story, the nun sister, the street urchin thief from Gotham tv series, the mob father because that explains one part of the orphanage and I do like the mob boss story later on. Not Carmine though. Too stereotypical to have your enemy to be your father. I'm going with Rex Calabrese.

Don't know yet on the mother. Haven't actually read any story on the mother except that in the 99-2000 era she's Cuban apparently. I'm keeping that. She's half Cuban and half... Italian? from Rex?

So there. A mix of different interpretations.

Oh and she's black-haired but dye it blond when she started working as a secretary like Batman Returns, and then stop dying it blond when she found out the manufacturer of the hair dye experimented it on animals. That one's from BTAS.

She'll be in her twenties when she started, having to leave her job as a secretary and her early marriage that she had because she wanted to leave the streets, which she regrets after she realized these men suck yo.

I want her to be closer in age to Batman since DC has a habit of making his lovers far younger. The catsuit may not look as good in the later years, but she can always switch to the classic, regal, purple gown.