Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Changing characters and DC groups origins

If you could make your own version, what it´d be his/her/their origin of your character/group? new villains, or switch villains/friends/love interests? Example: Switch Superman villains with Batman, Superman facing Batman villains, this time their HIS villains.

LOL, I'd actually restore the Justice League origin to the original Seven founders battling the Appelaxians.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    LOL, I'd actually restore the Justice League origin to the original Seven founders battling the Appelaxians.
    So would I.

All-New Member

Ok, let me preface this by stating that Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) is my favorite DC hero and I love the Green Lantern corner of the DC universe. That being said, I think it is due for a reboot. I believe it is one of the only parts of the DC universe to not receive a hard reboot in the last 30 or so years and it shows. Currently there are too many earth lanterns splitting the fandom and a vast convoluted history preventing new fans from coming in. All that being said, here is my pitch for a reboot:

First I would rename the book Green Lanterns to highlight that it is a team book, not a solo title. Then I would establish that all space sectors have at least two appointed Green Lantrns assigned to them and some sectors, such as 2814, have even more due to increased activity in those areas. The series would begin with Abin Sur and his sector partner transporting a criminal when they crash land on Earth. Both lanterns are mortally wounded and their rings fly off to find the nearest suitable replacements, enter Hal Jordan and John Stewart. From there it would essentially become a budy cop procedural/crazy sie-fi adventure book. Hal and Jon would receive equal billing as lead characters and the book would highlight their differences while showing they are both heroes in their own rights. Hal would be former Air Force fighter pilot who got out of the military and joined Ferris Aircraft to pursue his lifes dream of going to space and visiting new worlds as an astronaut. He is a shoot first ask questions later kind of guy due to his training and experience as a pilot. John is a former Marine sniper who got out and became a successful architect. He calm cool and cool and normally thinks through problems before acting. Hal is better at aerial combat and has more raw willpower and John is better at tactics, a better marksman, and has more finesse and control with his constructs. They have to work together to protect Earth and the Universe and along the way they become good friends. John meets, falls in love, and marries Katma Tui. Hal continues his on again off again relationship with Carol. Eventually Hal, John, and Katma Tui will team up to take down Sinestro, Katma's corrupt sector partner.

After some time I would introduce Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner, two inactive reserve lanterns that fill in for Hal and John respectively from time to time. Ok, that is my pitch, I hope you guys liked it.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Getting to do Superman's origin would be my dream job!

1) Krypton's destruction isn't natural. It's a bomb left over from an old war planted in the core.

2) The governing council already knows about it when Jor-El confronts them and have already built a ship to go to Earth where they know it's sun will give them super-powers. They plan to conquer it.

3) Jor-El and Zor-El steal the ship to save their families. But the council finds out and shoots out the ship's star drive as it breaks atmosphere. The ship is blowing up and Jor-El and Zor-El put their children into escape pods.

4) Powers from day one. They discover his powers when Martha goes to wake him up from a nap and finds him floating on the ceiling.

5) No Superboy adventures but something like Smallville where he uses his powers in secret around town to help people.

6) Lex wasn't born a super-genius. He was kind of a screw up and his father threatened to disown him. He stole a formula his father's labs were working on to increase intelligence. He drinks it all and becomes a super-genius. It's possible he even knows Clark is Superman but keeps it to himself out of curiosity.

7) One idea I had, and I'm not sure I'd use it necessarily, is that he accidentally kills someone as a kid and that's the root of his "no kill" policy.

8) Krypto is a shape shifting creature and a stray dog is the first thing it encounters on Earth so it takes that form.

9) The Kandorians were the ones who planted the bomb that destroyed Krypton. When Superman rescues them from Brianiac, it's an act of forgiveness.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Catwoman, I'm definitely getting rid of the prostitute part, not because you can't do that, but because I notice whenever a writer do a noir-like adaptation, there's always a sex worker character and always written, drawn, or animated as fanservice.

There still needs to be a form of abuse in her backstory be it abusive bosses like Max Shreck or abusive husband like in Golden Age, because of her character, both as a cat and a woman have that wish fulfillment of not wanting to be tied down and fight back against the abusers.

Haven't figured out when or how her relationship with Holly started with the sex worker part out though.

I guess I can keep the abused sex worker part if I don't know how to implement the abusive boss and husband since she'll be young when she meets Batman and became Catwoman. I just want a different artist or even a writer.

I'm keeping the orphanage that's present in a lot of her back story, the nun sister, the street urchin thief from Gotham tv series, the mob father because that explains one part of the orphanage and I do like the mob boss story later on. Not Carmine though. Too stereotypical to have your enemy to be your father. I'm going with Rex Calabrese.

Don't know yet on the mother. Haven't actually read any story on the mother except that in the 99-2000 era she's Cuban apparently. I'm keeping that. She's half Cuban and half... Italian? from Rex?

So there. A mix of different interpretations.

Oh and she's black-haired but dye it blond when she started working as a secretary like Batman Returns, and then stop dying it blond when she found out the manufacturer of the hair dye experimented it on animals. That one's from BTAS.

She'll be in her twenties when she started, having to leave her job as a secretary and her early marriage that she had because she wanted to leave the streets, which she regrets after she realized these men suck yo.

I want her to be closer in age to Batman since DC has a habit of making his lovers far younger. The catsuit may not look as good in the later years, but she can always switch to the classic, regal, purple gown.

Roy Harper, Artemis Crock and Jade Nguyen.

Roy would be Navajo born and his parents would still be alive. He would still be Green Arrow's partner in crimefighting (which might be a result of some tension between him and his father as Roy's uncle died as a superhero). Roy would join the Titans in his youth before becoming an agent of Checkmate as the White Queen's Knight.

Roy would also have a cousin named Brooke Truman who works for the DMA (Department of Metahuman Affairs). The Roy Harper clone from Young Justice would be used in this continuity. One idea has Will being part of a villain project to clone and replace several heroes. The League and the government shut it down but Jim Harper adopts him and passes him off as Roy's cousin.

The other has Will created by Vandal Savage as a back up body and having enhanced physiology. When he starts showing signs of independence, Savage tries to kill him but he is rescued by Scandal Savage and secreted away to live a life free from Savage until he and Roy cross paths one day.

Jade Nguyen and Artemis Crock would borrow from their comic and YJ animated incarnations. Jade and Artemis would be half-sisters with Jade's father being a Vietnamese man who died while Artemis would the daughter of Sportsmaster as usual. Their mother would be Paula Nguyen. Jade is kidnapped into human trafficking and ends up an assassin while Audrey becomes the superhero Tigress (starts out as Artemis but later graduates). When Jade is ordered to kill her sister she is unable to pull the trigger and is caught. Artemis beseeches Roy to help her get a lighter sentence. Artemis would have dated both Wally West and Icicle jr and remain on good terms with them. She would be in a current relationship with Mia Dearden.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-14-2019 at 11:11 PM.

Constable of Continuity Gero4568's Avatar

Redoing Wally West's origin has been something I've wanted to do for a while. In order to distinguish Wally from Wallace, the first major change I would be making would be adapting something from his tv show counterpart: his relation to Iris. yeah, I would retcon Wally to being Iris's younger brother as it allows for there to be a somewhat different relation between them than there is between Iris and Wallace.

Next would be how Wally got his powers: Instead of going with the traditional "he recreated Barry's accident" origin, I chose to give Wally something a little bit different. Early on, Wally did discover that Barry was the Flash. Wally occasionally hung out with Barry while Barry was on Flash duty. On one of these occasions, Wally was nearly killed, perhaps by the Rogues or Professor Zoom. Wally was "chosen" by the Speed Force, if that makes sense. Barry was a random accident, Wally was destiny. He was always intended to become the Flash. Wally gains superspeed and becomes Kid Flash.

From here on, he mostly remains the same with regards to his charater history. As to how this effects the relation between Iris and Daniel, the answer is that it doesn't. Iris is the oldest of the three West kids, Daniel was the middle child and Wally was the youngest one. The incident between William West and Daniel happened when Wally was a baby.
    Pull List: Detective Comics, Batman, Flash, Justice League, Future State

The government wants the truth. I want the truth. And one way or another, we're all going to get it

-Donna Troy

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I would do something a bit different for the Flash's origin. Instead of a lightning strike in his lab at work, I would incorporate elements of the show in it. He's working on a quantum machine in college and when lightning strikes the university tower, it causes an explosion and he gets caught up in it, He's in the hospital for months and when he recovers, he slowly discovers he's getting faster and faster.

For Donna Troy, I would give her back her pre-Crisis origin where she was a baby rescued by WW and given super-powers by the Amazons to make her immortal like them.

For Catwoman I would incorporate a little of all her origins. She had an abusive father, she married an abusive husband, she worked as a prostitute for a time to pay the bills after she left him. This is where she met Batman. She basically took up stealing because she got sick of depending on men for everything. When she was a child, her only friends were stray cats. She would run away from home constantly. Eventually she becomes a "thief for hire" who steals things for whoever is willing to pay her price. Using the experiences she learned as a kid stealing to survive.

Joker wouldn't be insane, he's just be a psychopath who fully understands what he's doing and enjoys it. He'd have a loose "origin" where he was arrested as a teenager after burning an entire house down with a family in it. When the police catch him, he has all kinds of fake IDs on him. Jack Napier. Arthur Fleck. Even Cesar Romero. He's sent to Arkham State Hospital to be part of a rehabilitation program for young offenders. Needless to say, it doesn't exactly work. He's like Charles Manson. He's not crazy, he just wants everyone to think he is. It's a "joke" to him.
    Assassinate Putin!

Legion of Superheroes
    - I would take RJ Brande out of it. The founding trio saves a rich guy so he makes them into a team and bankrolls them - boom. Done. No. It just strikes me as being from a totally different age and is way too convenient. I would instead combine it a little with Waid's notion of them starting as a social movement. Originally they were a "club" so I'd have them start as a bunch of idealistic youths from different worlds with powers who each idealize the heroic ideals of the 21st century heroes. Have a larger group of founders where they each actually become superheroes on their worlds first before getting together to start the Legion and move in to a clubhouse, etc...

Astonishing Member

I'm not sure what medium I would use, but I have some ideas of what I would do.

I have two major ideas for the DC Universe. Both of them start with Superman and progress with their own internal clocks. They're not necessarily real-time but the timeline would follow a consistent calendar.

The first idea is that the Universe would be divided based on what comic each of the superheroes started out in. Superman and Zatara would reside in the Action Universe. Batman would reside in the Detective Universe and so on. Come time for Crisis on Infinite Earths, all of the universes would temporarily merge together and have to fight off the Monitors.

The second idea is basically a version of Superman & Batman: Generations but less cringeworthy.

1. ⁠Kal-El would land in Smallville 1912 along with a meteor shower of Kryptonite. There would be small particles of Kryptonite in the air that would hinder Superman's development of his powers. He would have a fraction of his debut strength, and as he lives outside of Lowell County, his powers start to grow to somewhere above DCAU strength but lower than his Silver Age strength. Clark Starts out working at the Daily Star before moving to Metropolis to work at the Daily Planet.
    ⁠1. ⁠Superman's physiology: Even with his powers, he needs to eat, sleep, and breath. He doesn't just automatically lose his powers when exposed to red sun light, and even when low on energy, he's still superhumanly strong. Blue sunlight makes him extremely more powerful.
    ⁠2. ⁠Kryptonite: Has the ability to cause mutations in people. While it causes Kryptonians pain, most of it is psychosomatic as they're taking in the terror and misery of all those who died on Krypton. Thus, sociopaths like Zod aren't as weakened by Kryptonite as others.
    2. ⁠Bruce Wayne would debut as Batman in 1939 having been Batman for a year. He didn't orginally intend for the bat motif, but eventually stuck with it.
    3. ⁠Amazons were mostly savage warriors who worshipped Ares. They're job was to incite war and bloodshed across the world. Diana was incentivised by the goddess Athena to head to the "World of Man" in order to deescalate WWII and protect Greece. In doing so, she was exiled from the Amazons and now wants to free her people from the will of Ares.
    ⁠1. ⁠Diana was the name of a battered woman who somehow found her way to Themyscira. Hippolyta took pity on her and showed her the ways of the warrior. While Diana enjoyed her time on the island, she realized that she basically gave up her life and home to someone who didn't deserve it. Not wanting to run away from her problems, she was going to go home until Ares showed up to check on his servants. Ares was very abusive to the Amazons in spite many of them being his daughters. Diana not wanting her new family to suffer through what she was going through tried to motivate the other Amazons to rebel. Ares realizing that Diana was a problem then chose to kill her. Hippolyta then took pity on what was probably her only real friend and chose to implant Diana's soul inside a clay statue where she would be given new life. While the new Diana has no memories of her old life, her desire to save the other Amazons and the bring peace to the world shines though.

Jill Carlyle is the second Crimson Avenger but isn't a spirit of vengeance like she was originally before. Instead she is a journalism student who learns of Lee Travis' exploits while investigating a murder and becomes his successor after travelling to Nanda Parbat.

Kyle Rayner was always meant to be a solo character, but he's been reduced to ensemble character status since Hal Jordan and the GLC were reintroduced. I would return him to his roots of being an Earth-based solo character by divorcing him from the Green Lantern Corps mythos, and instead tying his origin and powers to Alan Scott and the Starheart.

BANNED

I'd have Darkseid destroy Krypton and these 6 found the League:

John would also be the first human GLC member.

Quote Originally Posted by ERON View Post
    Kyle Rayner was always meant to be a solo character, but he's been reduced to ensemble character status since Hal Jordan and the GLC were reintroduced. I would return him to his roots of being an Earth-based solo character by divorcing him from the Green Lantern Corps mythos, and instead tying his origin and powers to Alan Scott and the Starheart.
    They actually had a chance to do that when Jade died giving Kyle her powers - this could have put him on that road instead of being beholden to the GLC and their status quo. Too bad they didn't decide that and kept Kyle as one of the many earth Lanterns.

That said, if I could change Kyle's origin, I'd actually have 'fridged him,(not literally though) passing the ring on to Alex who would have actually become the main GL of that era and become the torchbearer.