Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    After last night's episode of Watchmen, I'd change everything about Blue Marvel's origin story.
    care to elaborate?

FF - Sue, Reed, Ben, Doom all met in college but stay the same ages. Sue (19-22) is a student, Reed (26) is a Professor's assistant, Ben (27-30) dropped out of school as a teen to be with the Yancy St. Gang but then left and joined the army after that got his GED and now is a student/works as a janitor, Doom (24) was a student who clashed wit Reed.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It always seemed odd that Janet van Dyne gained wings when she shrinks with the Pym particles, when nobody else does (both Nadia/Wasp II and Cassie/Stinger use mechanical wings). So have that as a genetic mutation. She was a mutant in the Ultimate Universe. Her stingers and shrinking ability would still be tech.
    Cool! My version;

Teen Janet was a mutant, with the ability to generate bio-electricity, and no ability to control it, so that whenever she touched someone, they got a nasty shock, more painful and annoying than incapacitating or dangerous. Her father paid anyone who had discovered her 'affliction' to keep their mouths shut, and young Janet stuck in her room, furiously designed dozens of outfits with long gloves and similar features to allow her to walk among the society she had been shut away from. Meanwhile, her father found a scientific prodigy, working on his third PHD, Hank Pym, and promised to pay off his ludicrous tuition bills, and also finance a personal lab for him to work in, if he would only find a cure for his daughter.

Rather than 'curing' her of her mutancy, which was what her father had hoped for, Hank instead found a way using Pym particles to bleed off the extra energy she was generating into another dimension, and, later, to instead store it and even weaponize it and use it to power various equipment, and even a biological enhancement, to give her functional insect-like wings that worked only when she was sufficiently reduced in size and mass. (His first PHD having been in entomology.)

Flash forward many years, and she's still a (mostly unknown-as-such) mutant with a reputation for fashion design (started as a teen, with those trendy long gloves), and now the inheritor of what remains of her fathers fortunes (which he mostly frittered away on his quixotic search for a 'mutant cure' for his daughter, and is actually less a percentage of her own fortunes than her own earnings for her fashion work). Because she's managed to 'pass' as a human superhero, some among Xavier's crew regard her as 'in the closet' and resent her for not embracing her mutant status and lending her voice to their struggle, while others, such as old family friend Warren Worthington, are content to let her live her life.

Hank Pym has a problem with focus. He finds a new interesting line of study and goes nuts on it, sometimes completely veering away from his intended focus. He started out studying insects, and then got sidelined by a more concerted study of the communal intelligence that leads to 'hive minds,' how complex tasks are divided up among individual workers, and branched into both a study of learning and also of how to replicate this in computers (making him the father of parallel processing, the first step in his development of an early AI). How he got into particle physics and discovered the Pym Particle is less clear, but it has been speculated that the 'Pym Particle' has some sort of relationship with the Infinity Stone attuned to Space...

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    care to elaborate?
    Maybe after my mind is done exploding with so many better possibilities than what we've been given for Blue, I'll elucidate. After the awe fades.

HBO's Watchmen is such a phenomenally well written show. I know some fans of the comic were turned off early, but I can honestly say that I felt life I waited my whole life for this series. Someone finally got it right.

I only hope that the last episode doesn't disappoint. This is HBO, after all.

It always seemed odd that Janet van Dyne gained wings when she shrinks with the Pym particles, when nobody else does (both Nadia/Wasp II and Cassie/Stinger use mechanical wings).
    As I recall, it was not the Pym particles that gave Janet the wings. Pym injected something into her that gave her wings (or something like that).
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

That wouldn't be far out of left field
    I never claimed it would be.