Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Nemesis Kid from LOSH. Apparently his super-power is that he can defeat anyone. Whatever that means. But somehow couldn't beat Princess Projektra from killing him....

Helena Kosmatos, the "Golden Age Fury" that Roy Thomas created to replace Wonder Woman in the All-Star Squadron post-Crisis on Infinite Earths. She was the only one of the "replacement" heroes that really worked for me. She was a fascinating character, young and naive with powers and connections to the Furies of Greek Myth that she could barely understand, but she was growing into it all. Thomas made excellent use of his encylopediac knowledge of Greek mythology to craft a woman warrior who had a great backstory and, despite the Greek myth connections, was definitively not Wonder Woman. And visually she was great.

I also thought, that, narratively speaking, she made a better mother for Lyta Trevor, the Fury of Infinity, Inc. (post-CoIE), then Diana did. Neil Gaiman made great use of this connection in "The Kindly Ones" arc of Sandman, and he also included a great farewell scene for the elderly Helena Kosmatos. (Strongly implied; easy to miss.)

I was enormously looking forward to seeing more (primarily flashback) stories about these two characters, and finding out who Lyta's father was, how Lyta wound up being raised by Joan Dale Trevor (the Golden Age Miss America), the connection between Joan's husband and Steve Trevor, and so on.

Then two things happened.

(1) Christopher Priest wrote the Wonder Woman story "The 18th Letter." He needed a secondary villain for the story, and someone suggested the GA Fury, who - he said - he never heard of. I have enormous respect for Priest, but the Fury character wasn't important to him, and the result was character assassination. After that she spent some time in the Wonder Woman comic, and the downward spiral was even worse. She was crazy and murderous, and never even thought about her own daughter.

(2) The New 52 hit, and every aspect of history that involved the GA Fury and the II Fury vanished. As a reader of serial fiction, I appreciate the fact that there are mysteries and unknown details in the backstories of the characters, and I look forward to these mysteries being resolved over time, and to learning more about the histories. It's one of the reasons I come back every month (or, used to.) One of the (many) things I didn't like about The New 52 was that all those unresolved stories simply vanished. My patience with them was not exactly rewarded.

But the GA Fury - oh, I liked her!
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Nemesis Kid from LOSH. Apparently his super-power is that he can defeat anyone. Whatever that means. But somehow couldn't beat Princess Projektra from killing him....
    From what I recall, he could counter anyone's powers, so Projectra didn't use her powers, just neck-breaking anger over him killing her man.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I'm pretty fond of Bunker, but I don't even know if he's being used in anything.

Otherwise, hrm. Captain Marvel Jr is one. He was never really obscure historically, but now that the Marvel Family has been phased out in favor of the Shazam Fam and their grown-up counterparts, I especially miss Captain Marvel Jr. and his old school tendency to just really freaking hate Nazis and spend all his time trying to kill them.

Yeah, I mean like, Golden Age Captain Marvel Jr.
    Bunker's in Red Hood Outlaw. Jason found him when he left Gotham, then he became Jason's assistant when he took over Penguin's Iceberg Lounge. That arc's done though. Since now Jason's teaching Lex Luthor's gifted children, I don't know what happens to him.

I like one character of Gail Simone's The Movement. Forgot his name since it's been a while. A blonde teenage boy who has a demon inside him which he lets out when he's berserk. Most of the time he was a cute kid who's definitely been abused in the past.

His costume and looks remind people of a younger Azrael at that time.

He's from an Amish village, has a strict big brother with an angel inside him (or was it a demon with angelic features). So he has a persecution complex as he saw it as a sign from God and that he's responsible to tame his brother's demonic nature.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-24-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Incredible Member

Power Co.
    El Diablo (Raphael Sandoval)
    Jonni Thunder
    Scarlett

Ultimate Member

Loving lots of the characters mentioned in this thread, like the Power Company (particularly Manhunter, Witchfire, Striker Z, Skyrocket and Josiah Power), Damage (the original, not the 52 Hulk-homage), Bunker, Night Girl and Lilith Clay!

Other obscure favorites of mine include;
    Danette Reilley/Firebrand
    'Kole' Weathers
    Amazing Man
    Iron Munroe
    Air Wave
    Dr. Mist/Nommo
    Bushmaster
    Tuatara
    Icemaiden
    the Helena Wayne Huntress
    Duela Dent/Joker's Daughter
    all sorts of ancillary Legion characters like Academy students Nightwind, Crystal Kid and Lamprey, or Heroes of Lallor, Gas Girl, Evolvo Lad and Life Lass, Karate Kid 2 (Myg), Kid Quantum 2 (Jasmin), Dragonmage, Theena, Gazelle, etc.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 10-25-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    From what I recall, he could counter anyone's powers, so Projectra didn't use her powers, just neck-breaking anger over him killing her man.
    Yup he develops powers that allow him to defeat <target opponent's? powers, but that doesn't necessarily make him immune to said person's powers, nor guarantee that he'll use them correctly.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I read an interview with artist Steve Lightle where he said - and I'm paraphrasing - that Projectra's bloodline was very mystical. When Nemesis Kid looks into her eyes, she paralyzes him with fear and she breaks his neck.

I miss Bunker, he has a cool versatile powerset. He's from the TT run that no one wants to revisit (rightfully so) so he's never coming back.

Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I miss Bunker, he has a cool versatile powerset. He's from the TT run that no one wants to revisit (rightfully so) so he's never coming back.

Well...

Lobdell actually brought him back for an arc in Red Hood. And that was just the previous arc. And in the latest arc, he brought back Doomed.

I wonder if Bunkers powers are in any way related the the Lanterns construct powers...
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Well...

Lobdell actually brought him back for an arc in Red Hood. And that was just the previous arc. And in the latest arc, he brought back Doomed.
    Guess I gotta catch up on Red Hood, thanks for telling me.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Bunker's in Red Hood Outlaw. Jason found him when he left Gotham, then he became Jason's assistant when he took over Penguin's Iceberg Lounge. That arc's done though. Since now Jason's teaching Lex Luthor's gifted children, I don't know what happens to him.

I like one character of Gail Simone's The Movement. Forgot his name since it's been a while. A blonde teenage boy who has a demon inside him which he lets out when he's berserk. Most of the time he was a cute kid who's definitely been abused in the past.

His costume and looks remind people of a younger Azrael at that time.

He's from an Amish village, has a strict big brother with an angel inside him (or was it a demon with angelic features). So he has a persecution complex as he saw it as a sign from God and that he's responsible to tame his brother's demonic nature.
    His name was Christopher, aka Burden. And yes, he was absolutely endearing! So was Mouse from the same series.

Speaking of obscure characters I'm fond of, the iteration of the Green Team Teen Trillionaires that was out during the same time was super fun. Despite it's short run of 5 issues before being cancelled, I became quite invested in them.

Honestly, most of what I like or have grown to like tends to come from books that are super short lived in the last 8 years or so. New 52 was my jam for books like that.

Ben Rubel. The romantic interest of Supergirl during her first phase in her newest Rebirth run. He was obviously filling the Lois Lane trope for her. But I think he was cute and a nice way to keep Supergirl anchored to a more 'human' part of herself, so to speak. I also liked their dynamic.

Following that trend. Z'ndr. The Star Lord knock-off that followed her during her second phase when she was investigating Krypton's destruction. He was honestly funny, kind of like a more lighthearted Han Solo and again, I just liked him. Sadly Supergirl doesn't have any luck when it comes to side-characters

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Guess I gotta catch up on Red Hood, thanks for telling me.
    No problem. Plus, Red Hood in general, since Rebirth, has been really good. The worst? Solid (nothing great, but not awful).