Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Did mom cover your eyes in that scene where Mina and Lucy liplocked?
    Just the boobies scene.

Porky's
    Private School
    Risky Business
    Summer Lovers (a young Daryl Hannah! Grrr baby, very grrrr)

various horror/slasher flicks
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    Porky's
    Private School
    Risky Business
    Summer Lovers (a young Daryl Hannah! Grrr baby, very grrrr)

various horror/slasher flicks
    Man, Betsy Russell used to make me ... feel things... (and she's still hot)

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Coming to America.

I was like 6 or 7 when I watched it with my entire family. My dad is not big on movies so it's the only one he's ever watched (and likes). There's a lot about the humour I did not understand (especially the sexual and racial jokes) but I always thought the film was funny. Especially the "Good morning, my neighbours!" scene.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Man, Betsy Russell used to make me ... feel things... (and she's still hot)
    Oh, yes. Russell was, and is, amazing.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

With 5 older siblings and 2 less than attentive parents (tired and zoned out, to be fair) I was watching all sorts of unsuitable movies.

The very first one to absolutely freak and puzzle me, for probably a week or so, was a weird horror, video nasty thing. I've never been able to find out what it was called. It had a man 'expand' or burst into a tree, sure it doesn't sound so freaky now but *shudder* it spun me out, I was probably 5.

American Werewolf in London was watched repeatedly by my brothers. The dream forest run scene with the deer head ripped was the worst for me.

Then there was a Halloween movie, where a family watching TV had loads a bugs crawl out of them, I would've been about 6, it gave me nightmares.

I actually loved the Jaws movies as a kid. The girl in the sailor looking outfits death in Jaws 2 was sad though. I was definitely younger than the youngest boy, Sean (namesake), when I first saw it on TV.

Aliens, ooof, that kept me awake all night after watching it the first time, replaying the full story from start to finish on loop. I love it now though.

I've got no tolerance for gore in movies now, but I don't mind a good clever scary movie (few and far between, they seem).

There were sexually inappropriate movies too, but they didn't trouble me, my siblings were more embarrassed about those scenes.

Conan and Predator were fun for us all.

Red Dawn, I watched young too, I loved that even then, poor Toni, that bit was sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Conan the Barbarian. A friend conned his babysitter to take us, and she was mortified by the orgy scene and made us promise not to tell his mother. Good times.
    That’s really funny!

Incredible Member

The Beastmaster and Conan the Barbarian were on TV all the time when I was little. I probably saw the former at least once on HBO, but both were pretty damn violent even on TBS.

Mighty Member

Howabout Movies and TV with stuff that considered appropriate back then but is now totally UN-pc?

I'm old enough to remember seeing episodes of the Black and white minstrel show in the early 80's, Paul Hogan doing cigarette ads and jokes about "poofs" (gays) and "sheilas with big knockers", the Goodies doing gags about rich big-nosed jews and Benny Hill sexism. What did YOU see?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    Howabout Movies and TV with stuff that considered appropriate back then but is now totally UN-pc?

I'm old enough to remember seeing episodes of the Black and white minstrel show in the early 80's, Paul Hogan doing cigarette ads and jokes about "poofs" (gays) and "sheilas with big knockers", the Goodies doing gags about rich big-nosed jews and Benny Hill sexism. What did YOU see?
    I loved watching Benny Hill as early as my Junior High years (I'm sure it was around then since I used one of the show's gags for a comic I drew back then). It saddens me that most likely it will never be on TV again, so I'll have to find other ways to revisit it.

Creepshow 2 (especially with the black slime monster) and... Bound, of all things (hooboy. My parents watched that with me but I doubt I would do that with my kids!)

My favorite though was History of the World, Part 1. As a kid I never realized how much sex and raunchiness was there (the movie *starts* with an extended masturbation gag!), but everything was just so hilarious that we had to keep watching it over and over again. Props to Mel Brooks, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post

I'm really reminded about South Park. Of course the show has always been intentionally un-PC, and its early seasons would most definitely be considered appropriate back then but inappropriate now. But I'm also amazed that Matt and Trey have been making episodes these days that sort of call out or rectify specifically those older episodes, that times have changed. They're not afraid to show when they have a change of heart or that they've grown since those days -- they'll just express that in un-PC ways, of course.

Kentucky Fried Movie is one that's almost totally un-PC these days, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't love that movie. Problematic faves, alas.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

One of my top 5 all-time favorite comedies, Blazing Saddles, would be absolutely impossible to make today.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    One of my top 5 all-time favorite comedies, Blazing Saddles, would be absolutely impossible to make today.
    I sincerely believe that it's not only possible, but that more recent creators are likely the best candidates we've had in a long time to do so. This stems from two parts:

1. Follow Mel Brooks' example -- he purposely not only hired Clevon Little to star as the main protagonist, but Richard Pryor as well. To say anything else about the importance of representation on both sides of the camera, Little and Pryor (moreso Pryor, but Little was also a big factor) helped keep the movie in line. Had it been an all-white writers room, and if someone much more hesitant or aware enough to voice concerns as Little did, and the product would have been much more offensive (in a bad way). Brooks wanted a movie about blackness, so logically he hired Black staffers in high positions for both skill *and* life experience to prevent more problematic aspects from blurring the film. This is one reason why the film, even in today's climate, is still considered a classic, whereas other movies were well-regarded back then but are considered a bit problematic now (say, Gone with the Wind).

2. The likes of Key & Peele (separately and together -- especially Jordan Peele), Issa Rae, Larry Wilmore, Craig Robinson, Ryan Coogler, and Ava Duvernay, among others. Each one of them has listed Blazing Saddles as an inspiration, but also too that they've all been knowledgeable enough to analyze the nuances of race dynamics, but appropriately updating it for the present. The jokes and the antagonists in the movie aren't new, and each of those creators above have written or produced material of the same struggles, only updated. The point isn't offense vs. inoffense -- because that would be avoidance -- but rather that points and reflections are discussed and confronted in honest ways (Jordan Peele with Us, for example). I feel like this is also a stronger pool of talent than could have been possible even a decade ago. Even Dolemite is My Name on Netflix, though biographical, tells me that this is indeed possible -- Eddie Murphy had creative input and served as a producer of the film, and it's a sharper yet funnier critique on race and Hollywood than most movies that try it. Have them take on the same role as Pryor and then some with their own creativity and observations and they'll do justice to the original.

(Also, not that I would insist on the use of the n-word since I'm not Black myself, but having black writers having black actors using it in the film -- and if everyone consents to do so -- helps overcome the challenge of the movie's prominent use of the word. And it's totally okay to prevent non-Black characters from saying the word if their villainy is already crystal clear But again that means putting in Black creatives there.)

I get that Mel Brooks believes that the movie can't be made today. But he's also wanted to get it to stage a la the Producers. I love him as much as the next guy but that's a mixed message. The climate isn't about avoidance of anything controversial, but rather than the controversy is done out of truth but not malice. After all, good art and comedy are simply reflections of society, no matter the setting. Comedians observe and reflect on society, but as society changes, the best comedians stay relevant by adapting with their audience.
    Last edited by Cyke; 10-29-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Astonishing Member

Too many, but one I will never forget, but don't know the title or anything else for that matter. Maybe someone can help me with that.

Its kind of a Slasher movie, must be from the 70´s or 80´s and it plays in a prison, where a Slasher guy hunts down his victims. It was very graphic, or I remember it like that.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Animal House was playing on the opposite screen at the drive-in when I saw Buck Rogers. So, I ended up seeing both. I was 13 or so.

And Meatballs. 14, so questionably inappropriate.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier