View Poll Results: How do you rate G.W. Wilson’s run on WONDER WOMAN?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Epic. One of my favourites ever!

0 0%
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Very good. I enjoyed it consistently.

0 0%
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️ Satisfactory. It had ups and downs but I was mostly happy with it.

3 8.57%
  • ⭐️⭐️ Poor. Some good moment but too many where I felt let down.

15 42.86%
  • ⭐️ Bad. Maybe a good idea here and there, but consistently disappointing.

13 37.14%
  • Awful. One of the worst I’ve ever read. I’ll pretend it never happened.

4 11.43%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    There is unfortunately a trend with WW where it's the same 3-4 rogues that get re-used while everyone else is a new pet character. Ares and Cheetah are typically always there, Circe was the big third for a long while plus Dr. Psycho as the unofficial fourth. Now like you say Cale and Grail have joined the ranks: not an issue for me with the former, but definitely for the latter.

I don't mind Cheetah being used by Orlando (and i hope he uses Cale) because I need a better follow up to Rucka's run than what Wilson offered. But we need a new Dr. Cyber story ASAP, among others.
    Agreed Dr. Cyber was my favorite part of early Rebirth. Rucka does a great villain revamp that's poignant, formidable yet hilarious and then she goes unused. Dr. Psycho doesn't get enough time on the field either. I can count his appearances in Wonder Woman since Crisis on one hand, it doesn't make sense. Queen Clea has only shown up twice. Devastation was only in one run, instead we get Grail who's not as good.

Wilson lost me completely when the search for Themyscira fell apart at it's conclusion. She had all the elements for a touchdown, including the return of fan favorite characters but they were squandered when she fumbled the ball. Then potentially the most memorable occurrence in Wonder Woman history, the destruction of her lasso and bracelets turned out like a cake that's raw in the middle and laced with arsenic to boot because of the breakup of Diana and Steve.

I WANTED to like this run so much better than I did. It's such a disappointment.

Extraordinary Member

The villain I am really missing is Dr Psycho. Handled properly that little freak has the potential to give the Joker a run for this money.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Liked a few of the first issues - Xermanico's art helped - but the final acts seemed rushed and left a lot of plot elements just dangling. It seems that like so many other writers, Wilson didn't really know what to do with Wonder Woman, so she ended up a spectator in her own title again, the damsel needing rescue by the actual hero.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm glad Cheetah will be in the next arc.
    It runs the risk of seriously overusing her, but I need something a little more exciting for her after the disappointments of Wilson and Snyder before she goes on another break. I'd like to see some other villains get some spotlight either during or further into Orlando's run though.

Given that we went over 3 years without a Cheetah story in Wonder Woman during the New 52, I'm fine with Cheetah getting more exposure especially since I have high hopes that Orlando will give her a much better showing than Wilson or Snyder have.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

This is a tricky thing to assess, because Wilson's run was plagued by art issues, that not only in some cases was poor art but couldwork directly against the emotional narrative that I think Wilson attempted to create. I also think Wilson got a raw hand both being thrown in on relatively short notice, with a very crowded schedule, and some personal medical drama, didn't really help the run. I also think the forced scheduling due to YotV also caused the resolution of the Themyscira plot to the cut short.

I also think that Wilson attempted something that's very different here from what one usually expects from superhero comics. Wilson sets out not to celebrate or to tear down Diana but to examine—even interrogate—her, and she does so in two different ways: one is to have her adversaries question her about her use of her powers, the other was to examine and question her own actions in light of Wonder Woman's ideals and origins, as Wilson saw them.

Did she succeed at that? Only partially, I'd say, and I think a lot of readers didn't get the shift from superhero action to philosophising about superheroing. I also think the run suffered from more than a bit of yanking back and forth in plotlines, partially I guess due to the need to include the various YotV pieces, and have them make sense within Wilson's plotlines and her own demands on proper worldbuilding.

So what do I think later writers should look for in Wilson's run? First of all is a slow reconciliation between Steve and Diana. I'm fairly sure that is what Wilson herself intended from the start. Second, look at how she wrote the Greek gods: not as wise, all-knowing, aloof beings, but also quarrelsome and flawed. Look at how she approached the Amazons (which we got far too little of): people who will rejoice in and dance with each other, even in the midst of a war.

I also wish future writers will look at the three mythketeers. They make far more sense within Diana's world than the Oddfellows, who in the comics were stunted copies of the movie.

Wilson gave us back Themyscira. She gave us Greek gods that felt like Greek gods. And she gave us a Diana who talked and thought not like a warrior but as a poet. That's all three high marks for me.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    For me, the biggest problem was the art by far. It just felt like an afterthought. The Xermanico issues sing and not just visually. The writing felt stronger and more epic when Xermanico was bringing it to life. I feel like Wilson was definitely shortchanged when it comes to collaboraters, and frankly, Wonder Woman deserves better.
    Xermanico's art was the definitely the best thing about Wilson's run. Dude is SO underrated. His art is SUPERSTAR level, to me. I hate to say this, but maybe if he gets a more high profile book to work on than Wonder Woman, he will finally get his due as an artist.

I gave Wilson a ONE for all the problems that each post in this 3 page thread has listed. This is one of the most disappointing, dryest runs I have ever read in ANY mainstream superhero book; it's made worse by the fact that she seemed to go out of her way to make Diana look bad and to keep kicking her while she was down.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I gave Wilson a ONE for all the problems that each post in this 3 page thread has listed. This is one of the most disappointing, dryest runs I have ever read in ANY mainstream superhero book; it's made worse by the fact that she seemed to go out of her way to make Diana look bad and to keep kicking her while she was down.
    Indeed. The only run remember a run in a mainstream book where a writer left a character lower and more destitute than this is Peter David’s run on Hulk.

But that THE HULK. Bruce Banner is the poster boy for low and broken. Wrecking Wonder Woman’s life and leaving it in a shambles while you move on to your next project is just baffling.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Indeed. The only run remember a run in a mainstream book where a writer left a character lower and more destitute than this is Peter David’s run on Hulk.

But that THE HULK. Bruce Banner is the poster boy for low and broken. Wrecking Wonder Woman’s life and leaving it in a shambles while you move on to your next project is just baffling.
    To be fair to PAD, that was editorials fault. Not sure how much of Wilson’s run was dealing with editorial mandates. Robinson’s run was literally just cleaning up editorial mandated plot lines.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    To be fair to PAD, that was editorials fault. Not sure how much of Wilson’s run was dealing with editorial mandates. Robinson’s run was literally just cleaning up editorial mandated plot lines.
    I can forgive PAD because it’s the Hulk. A happy ending to a run will be undone almost immediately with the next writer anyway, so why not just own it.

Wilson just pushed Wonder Woman into a pit and left her there. It’s ridiculous.

Fantastic Member

I voted "Poor." That's an amalgam of how I felt it started to how it ended. It started satisfactory but ended up bad.

That said, I haven't read past #75. I don't want to spend money on something I think is terrible.

In the beginning, there was always something that salvaged a rather mediocre story. I think the first arc wasn't half-bad, and had the run improved, it could have been chalked up to a learning curve.

But the story where the three creatures just crash out of the immigration office and go onto having adventures seemed so tone-deaf to me, considering what's happening at the border. I know this is a fantasy book, but having such an easy resolution to a real-world conflict when kids are dying at the border isn’t escapist, it’s ignorant.

The Titans story just seemed to drift, with action sequences thrown into to fill a quota. Oh no, I have to save that car!

When we got to the town where everyone was in love, it was hard to distinguish one story from the next, so I dropped it.

I recently picked up more recent issues on sale at Comixology, and I was amazed at how much the quality had dropped. #75 was just dreadful, like Wilson didn’t even care anymore.

And as others have said, what the hell is with this Maggie person? She picks up a sword, and suddenly she’s the star of the book? Her origin makes Nessie’s transformation into the Silver Swan seem inspired.

But the drop off in quality was so jarring, I was wondering if there was another factor, and sure enough, Chris Conroy, the former editor, left during the Summergrove storyline. A great writer is one thing, but sometimes it takes a great editor to keep up the quality. If the new editor continues for the upcoming Orlando run, I’m not sure the quality will improve at all. (I haven’t been blown away by Orlando’s stories so far- that recent story where the two Hippolytes square off was kind of amateurish.)

Extraordinary Member

With 30 votes now cast the average score remains solidly at 1.5, midway between “poor” and “bad”.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    But the story where the three creatures just crash out of the immigration office and go onto having adventures seemed so tone-deaf to me, considering what's happening at the border. I know this is a fantasy book, but having such an easy resolution to a real-world conflict when kids are dying at the border isn’t escapist, it’s ignorant.
    I'd be very careful with that line of thought. Just because some people are in concentration camps doesn't mean that other people doesn't face very real struggles and problems in their everyday lifes. On the contrary, any serious discussion and engagement about racism (or other discriminatory structure) requires that the full spectrum of both micro and macro aggressions are addressed. It is the small insults and slights that make the concentration camps possible in the end.

As for easy resolutions to real-world conflicts: that's in the superhero stories from the beginning. Literally every superhero story is guilty of that to some degree.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

I had big hopes for this run. Knowing gww previous work. But it seems her heart wasn't in it this time. I'm tired of writers that make Diana an observer in her own book. Constantly outstaged and lectured by pet characters. DC needs to bring writers that actually know the character and want to write her.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I definitely agree on your last point.

I can't, however, agree that a few victories for Diana in Azz's run overshadow the train-wreck moments that I mentioned in my previous post.
    I agree with you on Azz's run it was awful!! I'm starting to get sick to my stomach just thinking about his run again!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 11-09-2019 at 06:57 AM.