Page 36 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

...."Jean fans are jumping the gun", "Jean fans should wait and see"

Here I thought two series across 12 issues, which included dozens of character moments, world building, etc was waiting to see? The fresh X-men 1 where her only contribution was making dinner didn't help. What's fascinating is I've been on these board for a long time, and the same posters claiming "Jean fans are crazy" were the exact ones losing their respective brains over a costume change, and a character being taken off the table for a few years when before they were the X-men's narrative for over a decade.

The truth is just as with Guggs and X-men Gold, we've seen enough at least at this point to make a judgement on his current treatment of the character. It boggles my mind that any fan should have to wait for another writer to save a character when Hickman is the literal mastermind behind the massive changes to the franchise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post

Here I thought two series across 12 issues, which included dozens of character moments, world building, etc was waiting to see? The fresh X-men 1 where her only contribution was making dinner didn't help. What's fascinating is I've been on these board for a long time, and the same posters claiming "Jean fans are crazy" were the exact ones losing their respective brains over a costume change, and a character being taken off the table for a few years when before they were the X-men's narrative for over a decade.

The truth is just as with Guggs and X-men Gold, we've seen enough at least at this point to make a judgement on his current treatment of the character. It boggles my mind that any fan should have to wait for another writer to save a character when Hickman is the literal mastermind behind the massive changes to the franchise.
    We haven’t seen enough to make a true assessment. HoX was really about rebooting the XMen and the major players were Xavier, Moira, and Magneto. Now they the whole new world has been set up, we’re starting to see individual focus on the team books. We will
    Have to wait to see how Jean actually shows up when she’s back in the field to see Hickmsn’s plan for her. Psylocke was totally absent in HoX, now she’s the new Captain Britain while Kwannon is the new Psylocke.
    Last edited by WallStreeter; 11-01-2019 at 09:06 AM.

Post-Secret Wars X-Books weren’t bad because Cyclops was dead. They were bad because the narrative made no sense and Cyclops was dead.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Post-Secret Wars X-Books weren’t bad because Cyclops was dead. They were bad because the narrative made no sense and Cyclops was dead.
    They were bad mostly because Lemire can’t write superhero team books anywhere approaching the quality of his solo and creator-owned work, and Dennis Hopeless didn’t really have a hook for his book.

And also Storm running from a cloud makes no goddess-damned sense. Talk about a macro-aggression.

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    They were bad mostly because Lemire can’t write superhero team books anywhere approaching the quality of his solo and creator-owned work, and Dennis Hopeless didn’t really have a hook for his book.

And also Storm running from a cloud makes no goddess-damned sense. Talk about a macro-aggression.
    • OOC Storm acting like a pacifist when her people were dying and us having to accept the barest of scraps whenever she lightly pressed her foot to the ground
    • The utter disconnect between Magik’s reaction to Sunfire even though she was helping Cyclops
    • Any Mutant trying to destroy the cloud that was poisoning them were immediately vilified and considered a terrorist
    • The X-Books were all disjointed. Some books treated it as an emergency that couldn’t be avoided while Hopeless had the teens just outright ignore it while Mutants were being gassed and shot up
    • If we’re being honest, the whole story falls apart the minute you try to draw an equivalency between the Inhumans and Mutants’ situations. There were people actually defending the Royal Family when they were sitting back while a genocide was happening

• OOC Storm acting like a pacifist when her people were dying and us having to accept the barest of scraps whenever she lightly pressed her foot to the ground
    • The utter disconnect between Magik’s reaction to Sunfire even though she was helping Cyclops
    • Any Mutant trying to destroy the cloud that was poisoning them were immediately vilified and considered a terrorist
    • The X-Books were all disjointed. Some books treated it as an emergency that couldn’t be avoided while Hopeless had the teens just outright ignore it while Mutants were being gassed and shot up
    • If we’re being honest, the whole story falls apart the minute you try to draw an equivalency between the Inhumans and Mutants’ situations. There were people actually defending the Royal Family when they were sitting back while a genocide was happening
    The sole idea of the X-Men being like "Oh well, let's wait for the cloud to kill us then" was so stupid, it is really amazing. They didn't even flinch when Black Bolt killed Scott in front of their eyes!! They went and asked the Inhumans for peace! If that happened in any other time Medusa would have been shaved by X-Force.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    The sole idea of the X-Men being like "Oh well, let's wait for the cloud to kill us then" was so stupid, it is really amazing. They didn't even flinch when Black Bolt killed Scott in front of their eyes!! They went and asked the Inhumans for peace! If that happened in any other time Medusa would have been shaved by X-Force.
    Ugh... this storyline absolutely made me nerd rage a few times. Holy hell if this didn't have me hollering.

WARNING WARNING WARNING

New thread derailment imminent...

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    WARNING WARNING WARNING

New thread derailment imminent...
    We all agree that those runs sucked so we're not going to derail or fight too much I think.

Sorry sorry. I wonder if Jean wearing her Red costume and Storm wearing her OG fit in X-Men/FF will spell in-story changes or if they’re just mission exclusives. I could care less about the dress controversy but I wonder when they’ll switch to other costumes in the ongoing adventures.

BANNED

Sorry sorry. I wonder if Jean wearing her Red costume and Storm wearing her OG fit in X-Men/FF will spell in-story changes or if they’re just mission exclusives. I could care less about the dress controversy but I wonder when they’ll switch to other costumes in the ongoing adventures.
    I remember Hickman saying that all the X-Men have their costumes in the closet and they can choose between what they want. Maybe that's what they do here???? IDK

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    I remember Hickman saying that all the X-Men have their costumes in the closet and they can choose between what they want. Maybe that's what they do here???? IDK
    He did indeed, and Storm was the specific character he referenced when he said it.

I really don't know how much more time after 15 years we have to wait more.

I alrady said before that 13 issues is the enough to judge a run, mostly runs doesn't even get past 6 or 12 issue

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post

I alrady said before that 13 issues is the enough to judge a run, mostly runs doesn't even get past 6 or 12 issue
    *shrug* I just don't get the sense of finality and doom you have towards Jean's portrayal going into this Hickman era like outside of HoX #4 (which by the way I didn't have much of problem with as some people did) Jean's had a pretty good portrayal so far. The moment where she argues against slaughtering Orchis was good, the moment between Storm and Jean was great, the moment where she shutdown Sabertooth was awesome, the moment of peace between Cyclops, Emma and Jean was great, and her being motherly toward Cable was great.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post

You're not forming an opinion based on the run as a whole but on the treatment of a single character in an ensemble cast. The fact that you're confusing one with the other is a big part of the problem.