Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How should an MCU New Mutants be done?

Yes, the FoX-Men has a New Mutants movie, but that's the movie that's closing out the franchise and will never to be seen again. Plus, as said it's also in the FoX-Men, with its almost non-existent connectivity and messy continuity. However, New Mutants is a major team in the X-Men lore, and is popular in its own right, thus could justify headlining an MCU entry of their own especially if they want to expand on the X-Men side of the universe (as I'm sure they will). Remember, at their peak the New Mutants were pulling 400K an issue, over twice that of Iron Man, so they're not what you would call D-listers (which would be a bad excuse even still considering the MCU thrives on lesser-knowns anyways).

Here's the scenario:

For many, the movie will be their first exposure to the team and characters like Magik, Sunspot, Moonstar, Cannonball etc. and have made a positive impression thus far (delays aside...) and could yield a truer, more connected take set in the MCU. These characters are fan-favorites in their own right with a rich history in the comics, yet have suffered from a lack of exposure, so Feige and co. would be fools to pass up on them especially given that he wants to spotlight more marquee characters.

So how should an MCU New Mutants be done?

Personally, I would make it a Disney+ series. It just makes sense given the younger angle and the need to flesh out the characters, which the format would allow. The founding team members would be like the comics: Karma, Wolfsbane, Mirage, Sunspot, Cannonball. They're gathered by Professor X as like a team of young wards, aspiring superheroes of their own. Like the comics, it could start like a coming of age superhero story, but later becomes a gateway to the more fantastical side of the X-Men mythos with things like alternate futures, secret civilizations, demonic realms, and just a lot of mystical themes in general, while focusing on their teenage angst and growing pains. Karma dies (apparently of course, in case they want to bring her back) within the season, and they add new recruits in the form of Cypher, Magik, Magma and Warlock, making up the most well-known lineup and setting the stage for Season 2 focusing on this team delving further into science fantasy, shifting away from the coming of age superhero aspect. In general, it'd be a lot like the original run, but of course modernized and adjusted to fit the continuity. Like all Disney+ shows, this would be fully connected to the MCU, with characters and elements from the show crossing over and vice versa.

That's my idea though. For anyone interesting in an MCU New Mutants, what would your ideas be? Anything to add to this?

Discuss.

I would love to see a vibrant animated tale. Maybe have it grow up with the audience like the Young Justice TV show has.

Magik, Moonstar, Karma, Sunspot, Cannonball, and Wolfsbane. Kitty Pryde makes regular appearances and Doug Ramsey shows up later in the series.

Demon Bear, Selene, Emma Frost and her Hellions (Magma, Empath, Warpath, Catseye, Tarot, and Jetstream), Shaw, Donald Pierce, Belasco, Legion, the MLF can all serve as villains.

I mean, they should be a few years down the line still. Like do a few X-Men seasons/movies, and then do something like the Brood Saga where the X-Men are seemingly lost, so a distraught Xavier assembles the NM team with Moira, only for the X-Men to come back in the season finale of the NM's Disney+ series and they fight and clone Prof a new body because he's actually been a Brood Queen the whole time and Dani knew it! And the actress for Dani has to be tall and look like she can beat your ass(because she can). The actress in the Fox cast is too meek looking, and small.

You know, just follow the comics.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I mean, they should be a few years down the line still. Like do a few X-Men seasons/movies, and then do something like the Brood Saga where the X-Men are seemingly lost, so a distraught Xavier assembles the NM team with Moira, only for the X-Men to come back in the season finale of the NM's Disney+ series and they fight and clone Prof a new body because he's actually been a Brood Queen the whole time and Dani knew it! And the actress for Dani has to be tall and look like she can beat your ass(because she can). The actress in the Fox cast is too meek looking, and small.

You know, just follow the comics.
    Except the MCU is a distinct continuity from the comics and things need to be introduced while keeping in mind said differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Except the MCU is a distinct continuity from the comics and things need to be introduced while keeping in mind said differences.
    There is no existing MCU X-Men/mutant continuity yet, so they can do whatever they want. But they might as well at least look at the broad-strokes from the canon(which Feige tends to do). Sure the details will change, but the spirit should remain the same. The New Mutants are the successors of the X-Men, when that team was thought lost. And the Professor who brought them together was under the influence of the Brood Queen the whole time and Dani knew something was off! That stuff is pure gold. Why not use it?
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    There is no existing MCU X-Men/mutant continuity yet, so they can do whatever they want. But they might as well at least look at the broad-strokes from the canon(which Feige tends to do). Sure the details will change, but the spirit should remain the same. The New Mutants are the successors of the X-Men, when that team was thought lost. And the Professor who brought them together was under the influence of the Brood Queen the whole time and Dani knew something was off! That stuff is pure gold. Why not use it?
    Because time is of the essence and it depends on a lot of different factors. Not saying it can't work, but it might be difficult to replicate in the MCU setting.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Yes, the FoX-Men has a New Mutants movie, but that's the movie that's closing out the franchise and will never to be seen again. Plus, as said it's also in the FoX-Men, with its almost non-existent connectivity and messy continuity. However, New Mutants is a major team in the X-Men lore, and is popular in its own right, thus could justify headlining an MCU entry of their own especially if they want to expand on the X-Men side of the universe (as I'm sure they will). Remember, at their peak the New Mutants were pulling 400K an issue, over twice that of Iron Man, so they're not what you would call D-listers (which would be a bad excuse even still considering the MCU thrives on lesser-knowns anyways).

Here's the scenario:

For many, the movie will be their first exposure to the team and characters like Magik, Sunspot, Moonstar, Cannonball etc. and have made a positive impression thus far (delays aside...) and could yield a truer, more connected take set in the MCU. These characters are fan-favorites in their own right with a rich history in the comics, yet have suffered from a lack of exposure, so Feige and co. would be fools to pass up on them especially given that he wants to spotlight more marquee characters.

So how should an MCU New Mutants be done?

Personally, I would make it a Disney+ series. It just makes sense given the younger angle and the need to flesh out the characters, which the format would allow. The founding team members would be like the comics: Karma, Wolfsbane, Mirage, Sunspot, Cannonball. They're gathered by Professor X as like a team of young wards, aspiring superheroes of their own. Like the comics, it could start like a coming of age superhero story, but later becomes a gateway to the more fantastical side of the X-Men mythos with things like alternate futures, secret civilizations, demonic realms, and just a lot of mystical themes in general, while focusing on their teenage angst and growing pains. Karma dies (apparently of course, in case they want to bring her back) within the season, and they add new recruits in the form of Cypher, Magik, Magma and Warlock, making up the most well-known lineup and setting the stage for Season 2 focusing on this team delving further into science fantasy, shifting away from the coming of age superhero aspect. In general, it'd be a lot like the original run, but of course modernized and adjusted to fit the continuity. Like all Disney+ shows, this would be fully connected to the MCU, with characters and elements from the show crossing over and vice versa.

That's my idea though. For anyone interesting in an MCU New Mutants, what would your ideas be? Anything to add to this?

Discuss.
    The Magik in this movie might go into Deadpool 3 apparently. I think you're jumping the gun and ASSUMING things. Let's find out this film does, parts of it including castings might BECOME MCU. I see no reason to make this thread while the movie is yet to even release, just ridiculous honestly.

BUT if I had my druthers I'd want Kitty and Doug in a hypothetical lineup (at least as side chars/cameos etc) , I'd want Magneto as their flawed headmaster, and I'd want Emma Frost-led Hellions as antagonists. And obviously they need to do better with the casting issues racially speaking. BUt again, let's NOT do this. Let's AT LEAST wait to speculate until AFTER the current film (which looks very good especially Magik and Rahne)
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    The Magik in this movie might go into Deadpool 3 apparently. I think you're jumping the gun and ASSUMING things. Let's find out this film does, parts of it including castings might BECOME MCU. I see no reason to make this thread while the movie is yet to even release, just ridiculous honestly.

BUT if I had my druthers I'd want Kitty and Doug in a hypothetical lineup (at least as side chars/cameos etc) , I'd want Magneto as their flawed headmaster, and I'd want Emma Frost-led Hellions as antagonists. And obviously they need to do better with the casting issues racially speaking. BUt again, let's NOT do this. Let's AT LEAST wait to speculate until AFTER the current film (which looks very good especially Magik and Rahne)
    What's wrong with speculation? Hell, that's a major part of the fun!

And what's this about Magik in Deadpool 3? Also, despite rumors The New Mutants is not being transplanted to the MCU. They would've announced it if it were.

Disney + teen series focusing on the New Mutants vs Hellions. A lot of teen drama but in a fun with a little bit of horror way (think chilling adventures of Sabrina).

Karma, Doug and Magma should be on the team and have MCU Magneto be their headmaster.

Having said that, I do think Illyana deserves her own disney + seried focusing on her time in limbo.

Also, a black Roberto pls

A Disney+ series would be the best way to go to introduce X-Men characters. The type of character development and interaction suits a tv series far more than a movie, and it seems like Disney execs understand that. Even Bob Iger's comments about The Mandalorian and the Baby Yoda hype suggests he understands that trying to capitalize on fan obsession doesn't work when movies are spaced out over years and blockbuster movies have to keep increasing the pacing for international audiences. It just led to fan disappointment with the Star Wars sequel trilogy. To really capitalize on that type of fan interest, it takes a tv series.

I think the quandary Disney has is that some elements of the New Mutant movie are perfect for a tv show - director Josh Boone, the cast. But there's the issue with recasting certain roles (Roberto) and probably needing to change some elements since the movie wasn't designed as backdoor pilot for a tv series. Starting from scratch gives them more freedom to do what they want, but they do have a launchpad with all the marketing from the current release.

if it was live action, then a disney plus series to be able to do something like Runaways where you can get into the relationships between characters more and there won't be such a time gap between appearances. Also, they should hire age-appropriate actors, and in fact, I suggest that they all skew much younger. Yeah, some folks were officially 16 or so in the comics, I vote they all be no older than 15 when this starts. I do not suggest hiring 25 year old actors to play 16. I just don't. Yeah, there are restrictions with work hours and education hours, which many studios hate to deal with , but I think it will make for a better production overall.

For Sunspot, cast a black teen actor who can speak portuguese.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvatore Frost View Post
    Disney + teen series focusing on the New Mutants vs Hellions. A lot of teen drama but in a fun with a little bit of horror way (think chilling adventures of Sabrina).

Karma, Doug and Magma should be on the team and have MCU Magneto be their headmaster.

Having said that, I do think Illyana deserves her own disney + seried focusing on her time in limbo.
    Yeah, a Magik series on Disney+ drawing from the original miniseries is a great idea. Have her appear as a child supporting character first and then Limbo ages her up to her teens where she’s a lot... different, which the series can expand on. It would be a perfect way to use the platform.

New Mutants has had may runs and incarnation from in the comics, their most famous run was The Chris Claremont and Bill Sienkiewicz stories, which were mostly Horror. Their second famous run was when Rob Liefeld introduced cable and made New Mutants X-Force.

From those two classic runs, New mutants cannot be introduced in the mcu because mcu can't make a horror movie and they can't make an xforce movie.

Also if the new mutants movie succeeds, Disney would not be making any new mutants movie.

they can only be reintroduced if Disney gives them a make over and turn them into something from Spiderman homecoming.

I have just made peace that the best place to get great new mutants adaption is from

FX Legion
    X-Men Evolution: Sins of the Sons
    X-Men Evolution: Ghost of a Chance.

There is no point wishing for the impossible for a new mutants movie that will be done justice.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 02-02-2020 at 06:42 AM.

What I want the most is for less whitewashing.
    But I'd love a Disney+ series. It would be cool to see a somewhat loyal addaptation of Claremont's run.
    It would also be awesome to see a longterm plan where some of the characters would get to join the main X-men team over time.