Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast

Default What of Xavier's Dream?

One of the things that first drew me to the X-Men comics was the idealism of Xavier's dream of Mutants and Humans living together in peace. It has been fascinating to watch over the years how that dream has flourished, floundered, and at times crumbled as it came into contact with the reality of prejudice and fear and as the author of the dream himself has demonstrated his own shortcomings. As the X-Men move once again into an era of segregation, I am wondering......what role does that vision play in the life of the current Mutant community? Has it been entirely set-aside? Does it still motivate some members of the community? Is there still hope in it?

The Dream sucks ass so Moira made him drop it. Simple as that.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTFSXX View Post
    One of the things that first drew me to the X-Men comics was the idealism of Xavier's dream of Mutants and Humans living together in peace. It has been fascinating to watch over the years how that dream has flourished, floundered, and at times crumbled as it came into contact with the reality of prejudice and fear and as the author of the dream himself has demonstrated his own shortcomings. As the X-Men move once again into an era of segregation, I am wondering......what role does that vision play in the life of the current Mutant community? Has it been entirely set-aside? Does it still motivate some members of the community? Is there still hope in it?
    The simple answer is: Read HoX/PoX 1-6 in the reading order listed in the back of the issues, starting with House of X #1.

The more direct answer is: Xavier's dream, as he envisioned it, doesn't work long-term. Someone brings proof of this through their own mutation, and convinces Xavier and Magneto to do things differently so that Xavier's dream is accomplished.. now, and in the distant future. Read the above issues to see how that is.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-25-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Mutants and humans live on the same planet in harmony and peace, establishing commercial and cultural relationships while both species flourish.

The Dream is real, Charles.

Astonishing Member

On paper, and in the context of pre-Morrison X-Men, the dream was a good one stifled by the inherent need for conflict required by the comics medium and the restrictions of the superhero genre (and the politics of marvel itself)

After Morrison established that Mutants are the future and will inherit the earth; certain issues arise in the Dream that would stand out a lot more if Marvel humans were even slightly less psychotic, namely where baselines accept their obsolescence and step smiling into that good night, with the E-Gene taking care of any remnant population lacking a latent X-gene. Even discounting the sheer evil of marvel humans, that scenario was never going to fly

While HoX/PoX indicates that Xavier knew the OG dream and NXM versions of the Dream are bunk, and may well have used them it at least partially as a play for time/recruits, it does appear he genuinely tired to find a way out of having to take the steps he’s now taken, and odds are he’s still hoping for some form of coexistence (because if he’d truly given up, Krakoa wouldn’t be bothering with such niceties as they have), albeit with whatever nascent, preferably crippled, iteration of Novissima inevitably replaces the monkeys

Xavier drinking tea with his pals while internally screaming because his dream is suboptimal.

XAVIER: "Yeah, I gave up on that."

NAMOR: "Mmmhmm. Sure, Jan."

Everyone asks about what Charles is doing but no one asks about how Charles is doing.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Dreams change based on reality.

Someone could dream of being an artist all day but if they have no talent their dream will probably change.

Given the story Xavier finds out humans will become mutants or post humans. No need to fight to coexist with yourself. So now his dream is to ensure all humanity remains alive by protecting it from post humanity.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Completely set-aside?

seems like it. And Xavier plan is win the evolution game by wiping out humans

I don't think the xmen can even work if they don't have humans hating mutants if they don't what's their purpose?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Dreams change based on reality.

Someone could dream of being an artist all day but if they have no talent their dream will probably change.

Given the story Xavier finds out humans will become mutants or post humans. No need to fight to coexist with yourself. So now his dream is to ensure all humanity remains alive by protecting it from post humanity.
    I agree, I think the long term goal is to prevent not just the X2 future where the machines rule Earth, but also the X3 future where all life is destroyed and digitized into the Phalanx and becomes just a memory of the Phalanx itself.

It's not like most humans wanted to be changed into post-humanity, they were forced to change by the Sentinel Ascendancy, accept your place in the Machine/Human Ascendancy or be purged!!
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Hi, Welcome, don't let the yappy ones grind you down. Survive and thrive the experience

"As the X-Men move once again into an era of segregation,"
    - Oof, that's quite the opening gambit, as you can see, it triggers some. I'm still holding on to (tenuously) that Marvel have moved the mutants to segregation, the X-Men have yet to decide.

"what role does that vision play in the life of the current Mutant community?"
    - They all seem to not even remember it thus far.

"Has it been entirely set-aside?"
    - Nah, to be fair, Hickman has shown the mutants reaching out for peaceful coexistence, with the drugs n such.

"Does it still motivate some members of the community?"
    - Who? Them (the characters) or us (the freaks of nature), I dunno, It seems to be being drowned out, between the back and forths and absolutes! As always some posters aren't quite so tolerant and open to any questioning and others picking things they like and don't. I personally think these comics should be inspirational on the whole, it's what drew me to the X-Men. Evolutionary progress, betterment, the bright future - that's taking a battering recently but hey, comics be cray cray.

"Is there still hope in it?"
    - Always, inevitable, damned blasted hope, gimme the real thing, dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I agree, I think the long term goal is to prevent not just the X2 future where the machines rule Earth, but also the X3 future where all life is destroyed and digitized into the Phalanx and becomes just a memory of the Phalanx itself.

It's not like most humans wanted to be changed into post-humanity, they were forced to change by the Sentinel Ascendancy, accept your place in the Machine/Human Ascendancy or be purged!!
    Not to mention Xavier is actively among humans and helping them so the whole argument falls apart especially the bad humans one. We saw beast talk to a seemingly nice diplomat. Storm was with human campers in fearless. Scott was with his human father and put a flower in his ship. Betsy is with her human brother and jubilee is with her human baby. But I guess they want Hickman to waste panels on random humans to see there are good humans when we have been seeing them throughout the story. But because the story isn't dedicated to that somehow all humans are evil. But then they go but no one should expect someone to alter their book to tell a story if that isn't what the story is about but then ignore the story. I feel like I'm high or something. Lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Not to mention Xavier is actively among humans and helping them so the whole argument falls apart especially the bad humans one. We saw beast talk to a seemingly nice diplomat. Storm was with human campers in fearless. Scott was with his human father and put a flower in his ship. Betsy is with her human brother and jubilee is with her human baby. But I guess they want Hickman to waste panels on random humans to see there are good humans when we have been seeing them throughout the story. But because the story isn't dedicated to that somehow all humans are evil. But then they go but no one should expect someone to alter their book to tell a story if that isn't what the story is about but then ignore the story. I feel like I'm high or something. Lol
    I think all these threads that are being started all in the last 3 days, are just concern trolling threads. Probably from Batman fans who are butthurt that their precious Batman isn't at the top of the sales charts and the X-Men kicked his leather covered ass and stomped on him!
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Mutants and humans live on the same planet in harmony and peace, establishing commercial and cultural relationships while both species flourish.

The Dream is real, Charles.
    Live on the same planet doesn't mean living together, and I don't see that harmony

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I think all these threads that are being started all in the last 3 days, are just concern trolling threads. Probably from Batman fans who are butthurt that their precious Batman isn't at the top of the sales charts and the X-Men kicked his leather covered ass and stomped on him!
    Hey, I'm all for King's run sliding down, it reflects the quality.

And honestly, I'm fine with the radical change, clearly SOMEthing needed to be done, especially after Rosenburgs run was so bad people around here started to say nice things about Avengers books.