Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

I think it's still there. They're more proactive than reactive now. I'm really more curious if the Quiet Council is immortal.

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    I think it's still there. They're more proactive than reactive now. I'm really more curious if the Quiet Council is immortal.
    For now they have said that they have not decided. But they are an extremely young nation, it is normal that there are still no elections.

Holding an election right now with millions of Genosha mutants unable to vote seems like an idea of terrible taste.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Stop disrespecting MLK’s history for some bland point that makes no sense. You don’t understand what segregation really is if that’s what you’re calling marginalized ppl (mutants) carving their own space out to maintain safety.
    That quote was really clear about what he thought about segregation. Grasping what segregation is isn't a hard concept and what Krakoa is doing is it.

Here's wikipedia's definition:

Racial segregation is the systemic separation of people into racial or other ethnic groups in daily life. Segregation can involve the spatial separation of the races, and mandatory use of different institutions, such as schools and hospitals by people of different races. Specifically, it may be applied to activities such as eating in restaurants, drinking from water fountains, using public toilets, attending schools, going to movies, riding buses, renting or purchasing homes or renting hotel rooms.[1] In addition, segregation often allows close contact between members of different racial or ethnic groups in hierarchical situations, such as allowing a person of one race to work as a servant for a member of another race.

Segregation is defined by the European Commission against Racism and Intolerance as "the act by which a (natural or legal) person separates other persons on the basis of one of the enumerated grounds without an objective and reasonable justification, in conformity with the proposed definition of discrimination. As a result, the voluntary act of separating oneself from other people on the basis of one of the enumerated grounds does not constitute segregation".[2] According to the UN Forum on Minority Issues, "The creation and development of classes and schools providing education in minority languages should not be considered impermissible segregation, if the assignment to such classes and schools is of a voluntary nature".[3]
    Not agreeing with you is neither disrespecting Martin Luther King or misunderstanding what's going on in a comic book about people with super-powers.

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    That quote was really clear about what he thought about segregation. Grasping what segregation is isn't a hard concept and what Krakoa is doing is it.

Racial segregation is the systemic separation of people into racial or other ethnic groups in daily life. Segregation can involve the spatial separation of the races, and mandatory use of different institutions, such as schools and hospitals by people of different races. Specifically, it may be applied to activities such as eating in restaurants, drinking from water fountains, using public toilets, attending schools, going to movies, riding buses, renting or purchasing homes or renting hotel rooms.[1] In addition, segregation often allows close contact between members of different racial or ethnic groups in hierarchical situations, such as allowing a person of one race to work as a servant for a member of another race.
    Yeah and the very next line under that quote says...

Segregation is defined by the European Commission against Racism and Intolerance as "the act by which a (natural or legal) person separates other persons on the basis of one of the enumerated grounds without an objective and reasonable justification, in conformity with the proposed definition of discrimination. As a result, the voluntary act of separating oneself from other people on the basis of one of the enumerated grounds does not constitute segregation".
    Last edited by Kisinith; 06-17-2020 at 04:24 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    For now they have said that they have not decided. But they are an extremely young nation, it is normal that there are still no elections.
    You can question characters when they do things, Xavier's insistence on not having elections when they ca do it in an eye blink is alarming, it's why I don't think he'll ever get around to allowing democracy in Krakoa. Charles Xavier, the Stepford Cuckoos, Quinten Quire, Jean Grey, Emma Frost - all these people could read the minds of every mutant vote on Earth in seconds and double check the results. Nothing about being a young nation has nothing to do with them not doing this other than they choose not to. Why is that?

Holding an election right now with millions of Genosha mutants unable to vote seems like an idea of terrible taste.
    That's what's great about elections, you can do them again and again.

Not agreeing with you is neither disrespecting Martin Luther King or misunderstanding what's going on in a comic book about people with super-powers.
    Learn what segregation is:

“ Segregation is defined by the European Commission against Racism and Intolerance as "the act by which a (natural or legal) person separates other persons on the basis of one of the enumerated grounds without an objective and reasonable justification, in conformity with the proposed definition of discrimination. As a result, the voluntary act of separating oneself from other people on the basis of one of the enumerated grounds does not constitute segregation".”

You can question characters when they do things, Xavier's insistence on not having elections when they ca do it in an eye blink is alarming, it's why I don't think he'll ever get around to allowing democracy in Krakoa. Charles Xavier, the Stepford Cuckoos, Quinten Quire, Jean Grey, Emma Frost - all these people could read the minds of every mutant vote on Earth in seconds and double check the results. Nothing about being a young nation has nothing to do with them not doing this other than they choose not to. Why is that?

Would it seem fair to you that they would resurrect you one day after the elections and tell you to wait four years for the next?

How can a census in which more than 70% of the population does not vote because it is on the waiting list to resurrect be fair or democratic?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Oh. My. Goddess.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

it would take alot more than a few seconds to do that.

As others have stated, the population is ever growing. I dont know at which point they might start holding elections but as of now, they have a pretty decent system

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    it would take alot more than a few seconds to do that.
    This should be quicker than regular voting. They're telepaths.

As others have stated, the population is ever growing. I dont know at which point they might start holding elections but as of now, they have a pretty decent system
    Every country has growth, they still have elections. Right now no-one has any vote in who gets elected leaders in their own country, it's a military junta/dictatorship. Why would anyone prefer that over democracy? The fact we don't know when this will occur is a problem, when there is absolutely no reason not to other than saying "no." The only person who gave Xavier and the Quiet Council their power is themselves. If anyone wants a change they won't have any mechanisms to do anything about it. That's not good government for any country to have.

Edit: At no point was Xavier's dream s about making himself mutant kind's absolute ruler, that's Magneto's ideology.

This should be quicker than regular voting. They're telepaths.
    they are but they dont have the ability to process all that info and do a count within seconds. Their minds dont work like a computer. Taking a vote by reading a person's mind is not a good idea anyway. A voter needs free agency and thats lost when someone makes an assumption about their intent.

Every country has growth, they still have elections. Right now no-one has any vote in who gets elected leaders in their own country, it's a military junta/dictatorship. Why would anyone prefer that over democracy? The fact we don't know when this will occur is a problem, when there is absolutely no reason not to other than saying "no." The only person who gave Xavier and the Quiet Council their power is themselves. If anyone wants a change they won't have any mechanisms to do anything about it. That's not good government for any country to have.
    Krakoa's population is growing exponentially every week. Why would anyone prefer the current system....bc it works and they dont care? Krakoa isnt an island of oppressed citizens and there is no civil unrest or attitudes that they are being treated unfairly. That may change in the future but as of now, things are good.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

They can't vote with people still dead. That's a good point. And they're still repowering people and working out Krakoa. I'm eager for more political story.

I wish they had mutants who lived on Genosha or just people who weren't X-Men or major villains as Council Members. I mean there were 6 million people on Genosha. Magneto and Exodus can't represent them all and then they have 4 council members who are X-Men. 5 if you count Emma. But there's not a character I can think of for that.

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    they are but they dont have the ability to process all that info and do a count within seconds. Their minds dont work like a computer. Taking a vote by reading a person's mind is not a good idea anyway. A voter needs free agency and thats lost when someone makes an assumption about their intent.

Krakoa's population is growing exponentially every week. Why would anyone prefer the current system....bc it works and they dont care? Krakoa isnt an island of oppressed citizens and there is no civil unrest or attitudes that they are being treated unfairly. That may change in the future but as of now, things are good.
    Nailed it.

Also Steel Inquisitor, I think you grossly underestimate the difficulties involved in representative democracy. I also think you grossly underestimate the difficulties involved in nation building. Its entirely possible (and stated on page) that this is a concern, just not the most pressing one they are dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    They can't vote with people still dead. That's a good point. And they're still repowering people and working out Krakoa. I'm eager for more political story.

I wish they had mutants who lived on Genosha or just people who weren't X-Men or major villains as Council Members. I mean there were 6 million people on Genosha. Magneto and Exodus can't represent them all and then they have 4 council members who are X-Men. 5 if you count Emma. But there's not a character I can think of for that.

tbh the Quiet Council is made up of the most active public participants in mutant politics from virtually every "side". Considering the factors preventing voting that lots of other posters have laid out which led to the establishment of the QC as a temporary governing body in the first place, I'm not sure who the mutant public would prefer to be leading them ? Doop 2020 ?

we need to cut the mutant populace some slack here. if I was invited into paradise after decades of persecution and a genocide or two I wouldn't be putting too much thought into "who's running this thing, anyways?" . oh, the guy who values equality above all and has made notable sacrifices for this goal to a fault assembled a cabinet of prominent mutant activists from all corners of the ideological sphere ? yeah, I'll take it for now, which way to the minibar?

there I go being flippant. but srsly.