Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Live on the same planet doesn't mean living together, and I don't see that harmony
    Living on the same country or even city doesn't mean living together

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Live on the same planet doesn't mean living together, and I don't see that harmony
    The mutants have their same space and can walk to human society anytime they want. How is that not harmony? The one time mutants aren’t up to compromise their safety and livelihoods means they’re destroying the sanctity of co-existence. They’re still operating under living together, just not in a way that Xavier intended, which is completely fine. Something needed to be done or mutants would’ve just been killed.

Thanks UR!

Several interesting comments. For me, comics have their own value as art and as a form of entertainment, but they are the most interesting when they provide insight/commentary on real life issues. The question that I ask about Xavier's dream could easily asked, especially in our current political context, of MLK's dream. I am just idealistic enough to hold out hope...but as Mike Tyson once said, "Everyone has a plan...until you get hit in the mouth."

Question if humanity were to risk the X-men would save them again?
    Answer yes for sure so coexistence is still part of their mission but now the terms and conditions are different .

This time saving the world and the next day being attacked by humans or robotic killers is no longer acceptable .

Martin Luther King Jr regretted his dream a few years later because it was too naively optimistic and not grounded in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Martin Luther King Jr regretted his dream a few years later because it was too naively optimistic and not grounded in reality.
    And Malcolm X regretted his stance towards peace being impossible.

Yes! Certainly MLK (and I'm sure Xavier) saw, in light the of startling persistence of bigotry, the potential harm that could be done by confronting hate with naive idealism....and yet both, I'm also convinced, would still see the vision as a worthy goal. How a people confront injustice and hate in a pragmatic way without simply becoming that which they despise is interesting to me...whether the backdrop is Charlottesville or Krakoa.

Quote Originally Posted by JTFSXX View Post
    Yes! Certainly MLK (and I'm sure Xavier) saw, in light the of startling persistence of bigotry, the potential harm that could be done by confronting hate with naive idealism....and yet both, I'm also convinced, would still see the vision as a worthy goal. How a people confront injustice and hate in a pragmatic way without simply becoming that which they despise is interesting to me...whether the backdrop is Charlottesville or Krakoa.
    Very easy to say though and be optimistic when they aren't in the thick of it, or the ones being killed by it, or forced to work on plantations. I can dream great thoughts for every too if i didn't have to worry about the consequences of other people's "reality".
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Yeah attacking Nazis isn’t the same as being a Nazi.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    And Malcolm X regretted his stance towards peace being impossible.
    Man.....if only there was some sort of middle ground....hmm....where non-violent means are used when necessary...while uh.......also...damn my brain is hurting from all this thinking. Maybe *gears in my brain start snoking* we can develop deep allyship with communities that hold most positions of power while also recognizing the disadvantages faced and taking appropriate measures to ensure our safety and protection. Whew, almost had a skroke.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Very easy to say though and be optimistic when they aren't in the thick of it, or the ones being killed by it, or forced to work on plantations. I can dream great thoughts for every too if i didn't have to worry about the consequences of other people's "reality".
    Right, except MLK certainly WAS killed for it, right?

Right, except MLK certainly WAS killed for it, right?
    That's the theory.

But would it had been right for others to try to force him to keep dreaming when they are sitting back safe while he keeps getting punched in the face? Kind of insensitive if you ask me. I would hope they would want to stand in and put themselves at risk if they want to bystander believe from a safe space.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Man.....if only there was some sort of middle ground....hmm....where non-violent means are used when necessary...while uh.......also...damn my brain is hurting from all this thinking. Maybe *gears in my brain start snoking* we can develop deep allyship with communities that hold most positions of power while also recognizing the disadvantages faced and taking appropriate measures to ensure our safety and protection. Whew, almost had a skroke.
    That was kind of my point. "Speak softly, and carry a big stick."

BANNED

How a people confront injustice and hate in a pragmatic way without simply becoming that which they despise is interesting to me...whether the backdrop is Charlottesville or Krakoa.
    Be very careful with that parallel when you talk about how 'pragmatic' people should be when dealing with murderous white supremacists. Thanks.

Xavier had easy dreams of utopian ideals when he was a white millionaire with no visible mutations. Magneto had easy talk about superiority and direct violence when he had the power of a god.

None of them offered solutions for the mutant Average Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    That was kind of my point. "Speak softly, and carry a big stick."
    Yeah you can even see that with how Xavier talks now. He carried a comforting and caring tone when he was broadcasting to the world, but the things he was saying also had weight to it that knocks you back once you realized that mutants kind of got sick of being second-rate citizens of governments that could literally enact a law that said: “yeah we think y’all should all die” and law enforcement starts it up immediately.